Denon D2000, D5000 & D7000 stock pad mod for wider sound stage
Mar 2, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #16 of 59

Quote:
You know you are not buying a ring of foam. You buy a SHEET of foam, take the white plastic adaptor out from the existing pad, trace the ring shaped outline then cut. You can buy the foam from an art supply store. Isn't Paris the city of art?
wink.gif

Oh i know that, but they didn't have any sheets either (small-ish store) and no idea where to find it in paris lol

(you should see what they call "art" ) lol :D

What are the sheets of foam used for anyway?

Mar 2, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #17 of 59
Mar 2, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #18 of 59
Mar 2, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #20 of 59
Mar 2, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #21 of 59

Quote:
Which of thse headphones D2000, D500-, D7000 has the smoothest... Least exagerated treble? I had some D2000 but the treble was too much for me.... I am considering some D5000 or D7000 for a pair of closed cans.... Which of thise two has the best treble and how does it compare to the D2000?

Never heard of D2K or D5K so can't comment on those but I don't believe D7Ks have exaggerate treble at all. They sound quite balanced up top with a hint of bass heaviness.
That's why they are considered one of the best all-arounders.
I did hear that D5K and D7K are quite different in sound? There is really long thread about D7K so you may want to check that out.

Quote:
Wow, now I know what I'm trying tonight!

Tried it, and...wow. The balance doesn't seem too different (it seems to have more sparkly highs, and can be quite a bit more sibilant, nothing a small EQ change can't fix), slightly stronger clamp from the headband (which is nothing anyways), and I need to pop the volume up a notch or two. But the soundstage is impressive. It's finally completely detached from my head. Headphones always sounded like speakers next to your ears, the denons stock seem like speakers further away from your ears but still felt like they had some connection to you. With this mod, the sound sounds and feels completely disconnected. It's very impressive! I may try fiddling with the mod a tad, as I seem to have sibilance issues.

I did the same mod as Magick, 3 2mm dense foam sheets (same sheets).

EDIT: Got toooooo sibilant, brought it down to 1 2mm foam.

That surprises me. The only noticeable change I heard on mine, other than the huge sound stage, is the bass in a way you all described, slightly less but tighter.
I hope I am not getting too old to hear the top frequencies 
tongue.gif

Mar 2, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #23 of 59

Quote:
That surprises me. The only noticeable change I heard on mine, other than the huge sound stage, is the bass in a way you all described, slightly less but tighter.
I hope I am not getting too old to hear the top frequencies 
tongue.gif

It got pretty damn sibilant, where songs that normally were never sibilant became sibilant. Listen to Sleep by The Roots, and see if you can heat sibilance (that song is sibilant even without the foam mod).
I've always had a *small* problem with sibilance with the D7k's in a few songs, but with 3 pads it became sibilant in far more songs. With 1 it went back to normal, but the soundstage wasn't nearly as huge.

I may try gluing them together. I can't imagine it making a difference, but it seems to be the only difference between my setup and Magick's.

Mar 2, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #24 of 59

Quote:
It got pretty damn sibilant, where songs that normally were never sibilant became sibilant. Listen to Sleep by The Roots, and see if you can heat sibilance (that song is sibilant even without the foam mod).
I've always had a *small* problem with sibilance with the D7k's in a few songs, but with 3 pads it became sibilant in far more songs. With 1 it went back to normal, but the soundstage wasn't nearly as huge.

I may try gluing them together. I can't imagine it making a difference, but it seems to be the only difference between my setup and Magick's.

Your ears must be really sensitive to sibilance as I never thought the original D7K are sibilant at all. They sound perfect to my ears.
I can see that the bass being pulled back slightly may have caused the other frequencies to seem "come out" a bit.
I agree, gluing won't do anything. However, you may want to angle the pads to see if that changes anything.

Mar 2, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #25 of 59

Quote:
I agree, gluing won't do anything. However, you may want to angle the pads to see if that changes anything.

I just tried it, and I may want to hug you now. :wink:
I left one ring whole in there, and I took a second ring and cut it in half. I placed both halves in the back to make 1 in the front, and 3 in the back.
The result? The extra sibilance is almost all gone, and whats left is *easily* EQable. I only listened for a minute, but so far its sounding good! I'll update once I listen to a bunch more music.

Mar 2, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #26 of 59
Lol I did this recently on my new Denons before I saw this thread. I was looking at the Markl mod and I couldn't find any polyester stuffing available so I just cut long strips from foam sponges and stuffed them with it lol. I'm not sure it made a big difference in the sound stage though.

Mar 2, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #27 of 59

Quote:
I just tried it, and I may want to hug you now. :wink:
I left one ring whole in there, and I took a second ring and cut it in half. I placed both halves in the back to make 1 in the front, and 3 in the back.
The result? The extra sibilance is almost all gone, and whats left is *easily* EQable. I only listened for a minute, but so far its sounding good! I'll update once I listen to a bunch more music.

LOL, good to hear. I think angling the pad is a proper way to go as raising the pads does change the audio path a bit but again my ears can't tell.

Mar 2, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #28 of 59
Which of thse headphones D2000, D500-, D7000 has the smoothest... Least exagerated treble? I had some D2000 but the treble was too much for me.... I am considering some D5000 or D7000 for a pair of closed cans.... Which of thise two has the best treble and how does it compare to the D2000?

Most relaxed treble? D5000s, IMO.

Mar 2, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #29 of 59

Yeah, I rubber cemented the rings together, never tried it without.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back