Denon D2000 Amping help please
Jan 8, 2012 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

e2pathos

Head-Fier
Hey everybody, so my thread earlier helped me to decide that my next set of cans is going to the be Denon D2000s. From what I hear the clean and deep sub bass that doesn't mud up the mids and highs sounds ideal for my liking.

I have also heard that they sound significantly better amped up. Since my only cans right now are M50s and IEMs are Klipsch S4, I have no prior experience to amping headphones, I am a complete noob in this category.

Could anybody lead me to the right amp set up with a budget of $200 dollars?

So far I have found that the E7/E9 combo works very well and I have also heard that the X-CANv8 works nicely as well.
Both of these options are the same price.

So could somebody help me choose between these two options? I am also open to any new options in the price range.

I listen to mostly electronic music heavy in the bass section, but I listen to tons of other styles and genres so I need to keep them balanced.

Thanks!

Jan 8, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #3 of 12
The E9 is known to have synergy with Denons, its a good budget amp. 

Do a search, there are some threads talking about D2k amping. 

Jan 9, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #5 of 12
I use the E7/E9 combo with my D2000's and I'm immensely happy with it.  I also have a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic/Little Dot 3 combo that cost over 3 times as much and the E7/E9 holds it's own.

Jan 9, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #6 of 12
The E7/E9 is a really nice amp on its price range. Denons are not hard to drive, i think this combo is a safe bet. 

Jan 9, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #7 of 12
Thank you everybody, I was pretty sure the E7/9 combo would be good.

Price is not too high and since it's my first amp set up I figure it should definitely be more than adequate. Cheers all!

Jan 10, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #8 of 12
If you have a little more money, you can skip the E7 and get the Fiio Alpen instead, which is the successor to the E7.

Jan 10, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
I use the E7/E9 combo with my D2000's and I'm immensely happy with it.  I also have a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic/Little Dot 3 combo that cost over 3 times as much and the E7/E9 holds it's own.

If the E7/E9 is holding its own against something 3 times as much in cost,  you could look at it this way, that the DACmagic/LD3 combo is actually performing below it's price, result: both are comparable or the Denon's are not revealing the differences.
wink_face.gif

Jan 10, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #10 of 12
I just think people put too much stock in amp/dac differences, when the most important thing in the audio chain is the headphone itself. For an easy to drive headphone like the D2000, I wouldn't hold much importance to amping as much as actual synergy with whatever amp you're using. The D2000 may have better synergy with the E7/E9 than the DACMagic/LD3 to amf123 himself.

Kinda like how I prefer the D7K on the E9 than the Lyr, though many others may prefer the smoothing over the Lyr provides on the D7K. We have our own personal tastes, though honestly, the Lyr is too noisy with the D7K.

Jan 11, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #11 of 12
I've also run HD-650's on both rigs too with there also being negligible difference.  Maybe it's the equipment, maybe it's my ears but the net result is that the DACmagic/LD3 are both headed to ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back