Denon D2000: ahhh so disappointed!
Apr 5, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #16 of 62
Sorry they didn't work out for you. I purchased the D2000 a while ago after all the hype and was really disappointed. I didn't like them and put them up for sale in a few days. Sure burn-in helped but they were just not for me.

I hope you find the sound you're looking for in another headphone. Good luck !

Quote:

Originally Posted by sk007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received the D2000's that I ordered from Buy.com, and I'm listening to it right now. I have to say that the very first impressions are very disappointing. Since I don't really have any good source at hand, I'm listening to it directly off an ipod with no amps. Bass is all you hear! But not in an enjoyable way(and I generally like bass!), they don't feel like controlled and kind of muddy and overpowering everything else at some point. What's worse are the highs, they are harsh and way too bright! I was listening to the song "goodbye" by spice girls (in lossless format) and every time there's an 's' sound, I feel like my eardrums are pierced thru, and it literally hurts! mids are ok, but not as forward as I wanted them to be.

I was really hoping they could be my closed-back phones (mainly for vocal listening) when I need them, but now I'm not sure. I'm just hoping they could improve with better source and amps and break-in.

Guess I would eventually go the AT woodies route for good closed back cans with good vocal performance. But man they are really bank breaking...

Apr 5, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #17 of 62
I don't think your going to hear anywhere near what the D2000s are capable of, listening to them out of an iPod and with no burn in. I would never feel confident assessing the sound sig of any headphone given those conditions.

Having said that, they are not for everyone. No headphone is. All I'm saying is that you shouldn't be so dismissive of them given the less than ideal conditions in which you are evaluating them.

Apr 5, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #19 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Send them back.

Tim

+1. What's the point of modding a pair of phones that cost a significant amount of cash, just to get them to sound tolerable to you? My suggestion is to find a pair of headphones that work best for you, and then if you want mod from there, so that you've found the best pair of headphones for you. A source upgrade might help things, but the iPod's DAC is pretty capable if it's line-out with an amp. That being said, I think with your current setup it might be worth it to experiment around with different headphones to find the ones best for you.

Apr 5, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #20 of 62
I agree with the people who say it needs more burn-in. When I got my D5000s, the highs were really painful at first (I have very high note sensative ears), but after a day or two of use became a lot better. Also make sure you have a warm amp, they really don't like cold amps (If they're like the 5000, which I hear they are).

Apr 5, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #21 of 62
Set your EQ settings to FLAT.

The problem is in the source. The D2000 are excellent, neutral cans with slight bass bloat. No sibilance. Unless you have a defective pair.

Apr 5, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #22 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, I forgot the other possibility: your source.

What might it be?

Also, Diana Krall was just one suggestion of many.

this first impression was off an ipod with tracks in lossless formats. I can try Diana Krall just to see what these Denon's do best, but I don't think I'm gonna keep them if they don't sound good on my music. This actually happened to me before, some great phones has come and gone, only the one that best goes with my music collection get kept
wink.gif

Apr 5, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #23 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2

Get an amp, and give us your updated impressions.

I'm expecting my amp to be here in about 3 weeks. will definitely update with amps. I will also do some break-in in between
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 5, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #24 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurra1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now you now why iPods and spice girls is not so popular among audiophiles
wink.gif
by a pair of PX100 and you will get better sound with an iPod.

well I guess I will just keep searching for the phones that best suit me. afterall, isn't this what we are all doing here?
tongue.gif

Apr 5, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #25 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry they didn't work out for you. I purchased the D2000 a while ago after all the hype and was really disappointed. I didn't like them and put them up for sale in a few days. Sure burn-in helped but they were just not for me.

I hope you find the sound you're looking for in another headphone. Good luck !

I know how you felt and probably gonna end up doing the same thing.

btw, is that you real license plate? cool
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #26 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exediron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with the people who say it needs more burn-in. When I got my D5000s, the highs were really painful at first (I have very high note sensative ears), but after a day or two of use became a lot better. Also make sure you have a warm amp, they really don't like cold amps (If they're like the 5000, which I hear they are).

I think the things you said about D5000's high kinda relief me a little bit, the highs are horrible, and they really hurt. I do realize that I'm not giving the right juice for the denon's to perform to their best, so I'm gonna play around with it and see the differences.

Apr 5, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #27 of 62
When I first got my Denon 2000's I also thought the treble sounded horrible. But it really did smooth out in time and I think it was more then 2 days...not sure how long it took me but I would say more then a week. I am hearing them now and they sound very smooth and I enjoy them. I think recable would help them a lot but am gonna wait on that for a bit, this is a expensive hobby! hehehe

Apr 5, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #29 of 62
Maybe the D2000 are just not for you. I really like my unmodded pair.

I'm not in the camp that suggests waiting for some extended burn-in period or modding them just so that you like them.

If you really don't like them - move them on and try something else.

Apr 5, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #30 of 62
sibilance? I hear zero sibilance at all, on my sr-225 I had, yeah that was sibilance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back