Denon D1100 vs Beyerdynamic DT770 vs Audio Technica M50 vs Ultrasone 580 vs (anything under 180 bucks AUD)
Apr 3, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #17 of 46

Quote:
The problems is, I can't try any of them, if I lived in Sydney, Melbourne etc I might be able to. But I live in Adelaide, where there aren't even any Apple Stores (only authorised retailers, when my carrier send my iPhone for repairs, they send it to Sydney)

I never expected to find someone else from Adelaide on here. Pretty awesome.

Allans Music sells AKG, Sennheiser, and Shure. They let you try them out before buying. I know you're not specifically after any of those brands, but it couldn't hurt to go have a listen.

Apr 3, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #20 of 46
I have the D1100 and used to own the 580 before upgrading it to the Pro900.

I think I preffered the 580s sound. The D1100 has more overall bass than the 580 IIRC, but it isn't as punchy as the ultrasone. Also, the 580 has more sparkle in the highs I'd say. Either would probably suit your genres.

The thing that puts me off the D1100 and using it portably are the sticky-out arms of the headband. I don't know why they changed the D1001 design to one which, as another head-fier put it, makes you look like stewie griffin. Maybe it's just me, but I'd prefer straight down arms instead of triangular pointy ones!

Quote:
I think I'm gonna choose between the Ultrasone 580 and Denon d1100.

Any advice ?

Apr 3, 2011 at 7:01 AM Post #24 of 46
I've literally owned all of them at one point and I will say the DT770 32ohm is the best full size closed back you can get for under $200.  When it comes to audio and austrailian prices, I cant say anything except it wont be cheap for you.  But, paying a little extra for sellers to send it to you is well worth it.  The dt770 is considerably better than any closed back portable sub $300-500.  The only one better is the ESW10 in terms of pure sound quality, however the DT770 still retains superior everything else.

dt770 32 ohm 2005 edition USED is the way to go

Apr 5, 2011 at 6:10 AM Post #29 of 46

Quote:
I've made my decision. Im gonna go with the 580s

Thanks everyone that helped a noob like me.

Congrats, it's a very good first step for a can for this kind of genre. Hard to not at least partially like it if it's not completely what you were looking for. :)

Apr 5, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #30 of 46
Great choice.  My DJ1s (580 but with coiled cord) just keeps getting better and better with the burn in.  Yesterday, it just went up to another level and I thought it was completely burnt in already.  The headphone has totally changed my music taste.  Usually listen to mainly pop music and a bit of hard dance but the headphone is just so good on trance.  I don't even listen to trance 'cos I think it is quite boring and lifeless but the headphone just bring the music to life with the texture and details it gives.  Was listening to a State of Trance set yesterday and it as so damn amazing.  Never knew trance can be so good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back