Denon C710 vs. JVC-Victor FX500
Aug 13, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #61 of 138
After reading the latest burn in thread, I told myself there was no burn in when I first listened to the C710. I am back to believing in burn in. I even think it occurs with BA IEMs as I just got a new BA IEM that I am going to review, and at first measure I could barely hear a 30Hz tone, but after 24 hours it has a much higher volume.

Back to the C710, after 100 hours I was a little bummed as I thought they were very bright, but with more time, that brightness has subsided quite a bit. While still bright, there are not overbearingly as before. Plus, I do think the treble smooths out quite a bit.

Aug 13, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #62 of 138
Honeyman, if we are to wear the IE8 your way to obtain the comparable sound, it beats the purpose of having IEM for solid isolation. Just my opinion...
smily_headphones1.gif

Please make me a true believer of burn in!! Can C710 do it for me? We shall see..as average_joe hinted!

Aug 13, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #63 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadDog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honeyman, if we are to wear the IE8 your way to obtain the comparable sound, it beats the purpose of having IEM for solid isolation. Just my opinion...
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree, This is why I only wear them in locations where Isolation isn't all that important and that's the part that annoys me with these. Because I have found my love sound signature but the fit and isolation is definitely sub par as compared to other IEMs.

Oh and I'll change my name to honeyman in some years time when I turn 18 haha

Aug 13, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #64 of 138
haha, okay..honeyboy! yeah I still like IE8..for a moment I thought FX500 beat IE8 but I ultimately chose IE8 over FX500...now here comes another duel with C710. Only time will tell. If IE8 can beat C710 once again, it's the true king in my book.

Aug 13, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #65 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by HONEYBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For some reason I just believe the IE8s are not designed to have all that prominent bass. I recall initially using the large foamies to which I then moved to the small foamies for a few days ( I had initially disregarded these because I had no seal with them) because of ear pressure problems. After trying to move back to the large foamies I started to realize the clarity and transparency I was missing out on when I had a seal. 99.9% of my post oh head fi are now about this scenario haha

Even though I normally use medium tips with my other IEMs I have been tending towards using small tips with my IE8. It's not so much about getting a seal but more so about finding that perfect position/placement for the best sound reproduction. Larger tips give me a seal and tend to emphasize the prominent upper bass of the IE8s and makes them sound veiled and congested. The only tip that I can use and seal in my IE8s and not dislike the sound too much is the UE single flange tips. isolation isn't good when you do this though.

My experience has led me to conclude that the IE8 sound changes more with the depth of insertion than with the tips used. Try experimenting with a sealed in IE8 then keep moving them back until you are at the very entrance of the ear canal and see how much it takes away from the notoriously mentioned overpowering bass and among other things takes the clarity for the better. Transparency, sound-stage and treble resolution improves as well. This way it sounds more 400ish to me. I Am an IE8 fan boy though
biggrin.gif

I could be quite biased but as I said I can't listen to them sealed, which judging from the majority of comments about them is perhaps the way most folks here wear them. The difference between an unsealed and sealed IE8 isn't subtle to my ears. A few others have testified to this so I know am not all that crazy haha. The sound signature is just to my liking but having said all that the FX500 and C710 still puts it to shame and compare favorably in the areas it was most raved about for: Bass and Sound stage/Imaging. Those phones would remind you that most of the top tier IEMs aren't quite worth there price.

Thanks for the info. I guess at some point in the near future I will have to try them unsealed!

I did a 30 minute A/B with the W3 via my Fuze -> LOD -> Hornet, and I thought the IE8 was close in clarity/resolution/transparency (with the W3 winning), but the IE8 had a more laid back presentation and much wider stage making it more entertaining and preferable for more of my random tracks. I did not feel there was a large difference though (except in soundstage).

Then I tried the decay mod (where did decay go?), and it added detail, transparency, resolution, and stage width while actually bringing the presentation up a little. Very enjoyable.

Then I got the C710 and thought the IE8 (with the decay tips) sounded like mud. I went back to my old foam under silicon and the sound degraded back to what it was. I did try most of the tips again, but was trying to get a seal, and still, nothing compared.

So, here I am, with an IE8 I don't think was once the absolute best sounding universal (IE8 fan boy also!), and while I don't think the C710 is perfect, I like what it does better than the IE8 more! Actually, I prefer the Mingo WM2 paired with the AMP3 to the C710 for a lot of music as I think the biggest weakness of the C710 is the mids sound a little disconnected from the treble. And compared to the new BA IEM I just got, the C710 has too much bass for some genres, such as country, which the other IEM excels at (although I rarely listen to country).

I would sell all my IEMs if there was one I knew would be the best for my preferences, say the AT CK100.

Aug 13, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #67 of 138
For UK people wanting to buy the C710s.

I just wanted to add that you can get AdvancedMP3Playes to price match Digital Direct ( as they say 'usually in stock' even though it takes up to 10 days to deliver). All you do is email Advancedmp3players with a direct link to the DigitalDirect site

They lowered the price from £140 to £77 (+ £4 for next day Fedex delivery).

Plus they have them in white/silver if you wanted that version.

Advanced MP3 Players Denon AH-C710 Inner Ear Stereo Headphones

I had to choose between the Denons & the Victors recently and was very pleased with my choice, although obviously I have no basis of comparison aside from the previous Denons I owned (C551).

karl.

Aug 13, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #68 of 138
Alright so these have had about 14 hours of burn in, and I haven't noticed too much. The bass seems to have gotten a bit more accurate, but the treble is still pretty harsh for some songs. I'm waiting for the treble to smooth out a bit, but these are still very nice. The clarity is still stunning. I can hear the flaws during recording in some songs that I didn't even know where there with my previous IEM's.

Aug 13, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #69 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by rubberchickenmx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
with trance being my 1 genre, id say there are fantastic
i cant seem to get a good fit tho
i get a better fit with some zune prem 2

ehh its just my ear
frown.gif

The C710 is my favorite for trance, but I find myself listening to more pop/rock lately. The random function on my players (winamp and the Fuze) don't seem to like the trance any more
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jj94 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright so these have had about 14 hours of burn in, and I haven't noticed too much. The bass seems to have gotten a bit more accurate, but the treble is still pretty harsh for some songs. I'm waiting for the treble to smooth out a bit, but these are still very nice. The clarity is still stunning. I can hear the flaws during recording in some songs that I didn't even know where there with my previous IEM's.

14 hours -> 140 hours. If you don't believe in burn in, it took my brain 150+ hours to adjust to the treble
wink.gif

Aug 14, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #70 of 138
Once again I realized that people have different ears and taste..No doubt C710 has quite a remarkable bass reponse with clairty but I am still sort of troubled by its treble response. I a get headache listening to kind of songs I listen to for more than 2 hours on this. Sure, IE8 can be somewhat colored at times but it's well balanced to handle the high treble adequately. C710 will go back to pinknoise burn in overn for another 3 straight days before its next chance.

Aug 16, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #72 of 138
I live in the US and i paid $146 shipped from seyo-shop.com for the FX500's. arrived in less than a week. I love them. King of bass, great highs, but lack on mids IMO. But this is with only a few hours of burn in.

Aug 20, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #73 of 138
Trying to decide between these two as well... At first I was set on the FX500 but after reading this thread I'm not sure anymore. From what I have read they both have awesome bass. A couple of things that may help me decide:

1) Can somebody compare the comfort between these two
2) Comparison of isolation? Thought a read that the Denon's isolate better but I'm not positive, and if so is it by a large margin. (I plan to wear them in the library and I don't want to be bothered or bother anybody else)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I plan to order one of the two by Friday.

Aug 20, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #74 of 138
The Denons isolate better than the FX500's, definitely. I haven't had them in a really noisy environment yet, but it is noticeable.

Aug 20, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #75 of 138
If I am to choose between FX500 and C710, I would choose FX500 because it has more natural bass and sound much smoother. I would use it exclusively for bass heavy song, like hip-hop, techno, etc. C710, although it can handle the highs slightly better than FX500, still considered to have the harsh treble which I didn't feel comportable with. I just sold both phones recently but if I can remember correctly, C710 sound stage seems to be somewhat smaller than that of FX500. As for the clarity, I definitely give more credit to C710.

I think burn in could improve the overall presentation but it would never change the basic characteristic of phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back