Denon C710 vs. JVC-Victor FX500
Aug 11, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #31 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO the IE8 does very well with natural instruments and does also sound very good with electronic due to the soundstage. However, there is a large difference in sound signatures between the C710 and IE8; the IE8 has a lot of mid-bass and the C710 has a lot of deep bass with more treble energy. I prefer the sound sig of the C710, which is also clearer and has close to the same stage.

Thanks average_joe. This info is exactly what I'm looking for. It's helped narrow down the field of contenders and just need to try them out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jj94 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright so I'm going to order the C710's from B&H Photo and Video in a couple minutes. But what ear tips do you guys think work the best with these?

Also, interested in this question. I'm coming from the Shure black foamies (medium) and want as much isolation, comfort, maintenance. Read somewhere the Comply's get dirty quickly.

Lastly, for those with the X or S9 can you detect any hiss with the C710 or IE8?

Aug 11, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #32 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by techfreakazoid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lastly, for those with the X or S9 can you detect any hiss with the C710 or IE8?

With the IE8 and X the hiss is there but very faint. Quite inaudible to me unless I really listen for it. I got a chance to listen to the cowon s9 yesterday with the IE8s and hiss was perhaps the last thing on my mind but didn't detect any hissing. The C710 is very efficient and with the X, the hiss is very much audible. I can perhaps see that it'll become a detractor when listening at high volumes. To be honest though, the C710 and X combo sound so good I'll be picking one up some time soon despite the evident hissing.

Aug 11, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #33 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by techfreakazoid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, interested in this question. I'm coming from the Shure black foamies (medium) and want as much isolation, comfort, maintenance. Read somewhere the Comply's get dirty quickly

Check the link in my sig for a pic of the tips I am using, Comply under silicon, best of both worlds! Oh, and I wear them over the ear. There was a point where they seemed too bright, and wearing them over the ear fixed that.

If you don't believe in burn in, stop reading here and pretend the rest of this doesn't exist
icon10.gif
I recommend 150-200 hours of burn in. I burned these in for 100 hours, then around maybe 125 hours they seemed so very bright (so I tried the cable over the ear, not switching the channels). Now, the brightness has subsided and while still brighter than my other IEMs, they aren't by much (even with cables down).

Aug 11, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #34 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by HONEYBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the IE8 and X the hiss is there but very faint. Quite inaudible to me unless I really listen for it. I got a chance to listen to the cowon s9 yesterday with the IE8s and hiss was perhaps the last thing on my mind but didn't detect any hissing. The C710 is very efficient and with the X, the hiss is very much audible. I can perhaps see that it'll become a detractor when listening at high volumes. To be honest though, the C710 and X combo sound so good I'll be picking one up some time soon despite the evident hissing.

You didn't get the chance to test the hiss levels between the C710 and S9? I find the X-E500 hiss level too much to enjoy listening to music with quiet passages i.e., jazz, classical, new age.

Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check the link in my sig for a pic of the tips I am using, Comply under silicon, best of both worlds! Oh, and I wear them over the ear. There was a point where they seemed too bright, and wearing them over the ear fixed that.

If you don't believe in burn in, stop reading here and pretend the rest of this doesn't exist
icon10.gif
I recommend 150-200 hours of burn in. I burned these in for 100 hours, then around maybe 125 hours they seemed so very bright (so I tried the cable over the ear, not switching the channels). Now, the brightness has subsided and while still brighter than my other IEMs, they aren't by much (even with cables down).

Interesting tip (pun intended). Coming from the DT880, I'm a proponent of burn-in, esp. with dynamic drivers.

Aug 11, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #36 of 138
Most of the posts in this thread point to the fact that the C710 is better, but the poll speaks that the FX500 is better. If people who have voted the FX500 would voice their opinions, it would be much appreciated.

I am in the same boat right now. Which has better sound quality? And, if the FX500 has better SQ, is it worth the extra almost 50$ over the Denon?

Thanks.

Aug 11, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #37 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonemus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most of the posts in this thread point to the fact that the C710 is better, but the poll speaks that the FX500 is better. If people who have voted the FX500 would voice their opinions, it would be much appreciated.

I am in the same boat right now. Which has better sound quality? And, if the FX500 has better SQ, is it worth the extra almost 50$ over the Denon?

Thanks.

Like shigzeo said in the beginning, this poll isn't very fair. I realize that too, because the C710 has only been out since a few months ago, but the FX500 has been out for much longer than that.

Aug 12, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #40 of 138
Quote:

I am in the same boat as the OP and I dont wont to create a new thread, so I will just bump this.

Could someone expand on the SQ difference between the FX500 and C710

The FX500 and C710 are quite similar. I have them both, have done some long back to back comparisons, and find it hard choosing between them. The main differences are that the FX500 has the slightest edge in treble detail and resolution (and I mean VERY slight), as well as soundstage width and placement. Again slight on that front. The C710 seems to have more mid presence, and doesn't exhibit quite that 'V' shaped sound like the Victors have (maybe this V sound sig focuses attention more on the lows and highs, I don't know), so it seems more smoothed out across the board. They have a little more mid bass information too, but it's not the bloated kind like the IE8's (never thought I'd be saying that about them, but after these two phones, it's obvious). The C710 seems more complete across the frequency spectrum because of this. The stage seems somewhat smaller, but it's no slouch either. I also find the C710's to isolate better.. they're quite good in this area for a dynamic canalphone.

So, whether the FX500's are worth around $50 more, it's hard to say. If you are a treble detail freak, then yes, I'd say they are. Because their treble is just remarkable for a dynamic. But I think I'd venture to say that I prefer the Denons by the slightest of margins....

Hope this helps.

Aug 12, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #41 of 138
Quote:

Thanks.

If you are living outside of States, the price difference isn't that much like you said. "Import fee" ring a bell? I seriously doubt, BH would list your order in much lower value so that you won't need to pay duty. Imagine if they use FedEx or UPS, you know what next. The brokerage fee hardly come in cheap. But, small stores like SEYO go to that extent to please its customers. I got mine listed as YEN5000 and they did it of their own accord. I was only asked to pay 10 bucks as import fee. Bear in mind that I'm just a rare individual who got asked. There are folks in this forum who didn't even need to pay a dime. That's just my two cents.

Aug 12, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #42 of 138
Thanks for the comparison, cn11. It sounds like they're the top dynamics, with a few nuances. How do you find the synergy between:

a) S9-C710
b) S9-FX500

Hiss levels, bass quality, soundstage, imaging? I use BBE ViVA and any comments would be helpful.

Aug 12, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #43 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So, whether the FX500's are worth around $50 more, it's hard to say. If you are a treble detail freak, then yes, I'd say they are. Because their treble is just remarkable for a dynamic. But I think I'd venture to say that I prefer the Denons by the slightest of margins....

I think you meant the C710 is $50 more.
(or now just <$10 more!)

Anyway, for the US buyers, oh my, you have some competition now:

Denon AHC710 | Buy Denon (AHC710) In-Ear Headphones Online at Home Theater Store -US$150

free ship! Authorised seller!

Considering the FX500 is ~$142USD including ship as well.

Aug 12, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #44 of 138
chinesekiwi-
I was thinking that the FX500's were around $140, and I picked the Denons up for $90 from Beachaudio.com. I haven't checked lately, but not too long ago they were out of stock on the Denons. At $90, the C710's are a steal, considering I enjoy them more than my IE8's.
frown.gif

Aug 12, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #45 of 138
goddamit, competition is a b*tch at times >.<

the C710 look very nice and isolates better = a big plus. However I'm a big good deep bass fan and I dunno wether the C710 can beat the FX500 for bass resolution (and any other earphone for that matter).

Also concerned about how the c710 sounds with say, 'rock' instruments such as guitars and drums as well ,the FX500 excels in that, particularly drums.

What's your opinion of the C710 vs. FX500 in terms of genres, say electronic based music and rock/metal music?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back