Denon AH-P372 Review
Mar 17, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #62 of 76
May 17, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #65 of 76
See http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/492085/denon-dj-dn-hp500-recable

- that has links to cable, sleeving, etc.

Dec 24, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #67 of 76

"The ugly "hollow well" echoexactly how i would describe mine.

I think I'm gonna attempt to stuff the cups with cotton, or some foam might work?
i too find them too "tonal" as you used. voices sounds more, in quantity, than instruments sometimes.  more bass and less mids would be nice.

edit: so hard to open this cups, and not a single screw

Dec 24, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #68 of 76
Twist open the cups. Same as with a jar's lid. They rotate and pop apart.

Cotton or Blue-tak would be it, foam is too cumbersome. But leave the space behind the diaphragm open - only stuff the outer dish "ring". Otherwise the sound will be too flat...

Dec 24, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #70 of 76
Weird, you could try stuffing more space with cotton... But the "empty well" echo comes mostly from the open space next to the diaphragm reflector plate.

Dec 25, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #72 of 76
The reflector is the plate behind the diaphragm. It works as an echo generator. Foster headphones are designed to work with a "dry" signal and a "wet" signal. The plate is what makes the reverb that gets mixed with the diaphragm output (that's what makes the sound more natural, too). So air from the diaphragm gets bounced into the dish, bounces back, comes through those holes, and adds to the front output of the diaphragm. It's a reflex setup, just like ported speakers.

The plate with the cross is the reflector.

And you have to stuff it like this:

So the dish is left uncovered, but the edges, which generate the "well echo" effect are covered, as it should be. Looks like Foster saved on plastic or just decided that the headphones had to be "mid-fi" to avoid competing with AH-D series. If you're too bothered by the reverb, you can try adding some cotton to the reflector plate too. Also leave an open path from the reflector to the little holes next to clamp holes - the holes are bass exhausts, if you leave them covered, bass will weaken a bit.

Dec 25, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #73 of 76
Idk man, now i stuffed one with cotton and left the other one with juts a very little amount of cotton, and  i can tell the difference, problem is i dont know which one i like more.
goddamnit Rush sounds soo good in this cans, i just notice. the hi-mid range makes Geddy's voice sounds more pleasant

now i cant tell the difference when the instrumentals parts are on, but when singing, the voice sounds less in the side with the cotton (full) than in the cotton (edge) side. basswise, i cant tell apart.

maybe if i try tomorrow after not having a few beers
L3000.gif

Nov 23, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #75 of 76
Quote:
Aha, so you might've gotten the bright version too.

Creaking/knocking's by the headband holders, this could be helped by padding the cups' holes with some material (a bit of plastic or fabric).

Just wanted to let you know its still possible to get the bright version. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I just brought a pair for my brother from onecall. He isn't an audiophile, but uses the mdr-v6 as his regular headphone and noted to me the ambiance, bass, and drums immediately upon his first listen. His pair isn't muffled, has the bright quality highs you mentioned, as well as really nice instrument separation. He noticed the isolation too, he's really happy XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back