Denon AH-MM400
Jul 7, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #1,397 of 1,435
Jul 15, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #1,400 of 1,435
Hi - thanks for keeping this thread alive - I read through most of these pages but I'm still not clear on whether the ear pads are replaceable/upgradable. Has anyone had luck with this recently? I bought a second-hand pair from a head-fier a while ago and I love the sound and build of these but after a while they're uncomfortable on my ears. Looking to replace the pads with velour/memory foam if possible. If someone has done this with a specific brand/type of pad, I'd love to know. Thanks

Jan 24, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #1,402 of 1,435
honestly found a 9 dollar pair of uiisii cm5s more enjoyable for "closed” but in the price range of the denons the takstar hf 580 is pretty great.

gonna just bump this since I got the headphones back since the pads fell apart and he didn't really use it much. I ripped the pads off and did a little pad rolling, brainwavz sheepskin hm5, cloth china hm5 but both of those recessed the mids way too much. Threw on the thin cloth pads that come with the takstar 3050/580 and I'm honestly enjoying these for the first time. Sounds amazing for 70s-80s rock and just in general, though it loses a lot of bass which I suppose is a good thing since it never really excelled at that. I live in a humid area (Hawaii) and the metal has begun to patina a bit, which is strange, but it beats rusting. These pads to make them a bit semi open though so there is less isolation.

These don't play well with deeper pads from what I can tell, bass becomes bloated and mids very recessed, thin open pads seem great.

https://i.imgur.com/6jEMwhi

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #1,403 of 1,435
Hi All,

I need some help here. I am using mm400 from past few months. I use it mainly with ES100 bluetooth receiver with my smartphone.

but recently i hearing some sort of distortion in left can. this distortion comes during high frequency or high pitch sounds only like female vocals or guitars or violins.

The distortion is very small and it is like some sort of static disturbance or some sort of electrical. very difficult to explain. It does not overpower the sound coming from drivers and can be heard if you listen closely.

Strange thing is that when i unplug cable from cans and keep the headphones for few minutes without any use, then re plug the cable, no noise or distortion comes. But after using it for like 15 mins, it starts to appear again.

I have tried changing cables, different source ( ES100, Ultrasone NaOS, Laptop). but unable to hunt down the issue. Same issue in all. I have read this whole thread. some of the posts described some sort of distortions but nothing similar to mine.

I have opened the can and checked drivers also for any physical damage. but everything seems to be fine.

Any help??

Apr 26, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #1,404 of 1,435
Hey there! I wondered if anyone here might please be able to tell me how different these cans sound amped compared to unamped? Had them about a year and really love the sound, and am considering investing in an amp/DAC but may hold off if the difference is very minimal. Can anyone help?

Apr 26, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #1,405 of 1,435
Hey there! I wondered if anyone here might please be able to tell me how different these cans sound amped compared to unamped? Had them about a year and really love the sound, and am considering investing in an amp/DAC but may hold off if the difference is very minimal. Can anyone help?

Hey foxglove, what source are you running them out of at the moment? In my experience, the MM-400's aren't too difficult to drive so if you're using an LG or Samsung smartphone, later iPhone or even iPhone dongle, they should do pretty well. I've tried with a cheaper desktop setup such as the Khadas Tone Board + JDS Atom, they sound a bit cleaner, especially in the bass but not a huge difference overall as with some other headphones. Cheers!

Apr 27, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #1,406 of 1,435
but recently i hearing some sort of distortion in left can. this distortion comes during high frequency or high pitch sounds only like female vocals or guitars or violins
Generally indicative of something vibrating against the driver, like maybe a hair or something maybe loose inside the cup.
Open the cups carefully as the screws are attracted magnetically to the driver.
Then blow out any loose particulates that may be loose inside...

Jun 2, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #1,407 of 1,435
Hey foxglove, what source are you running them out of at the moment? In my experience, the MM-400's aren't too difficult to drive so if you're using an LG or Samsung smartphone, later iPhone or even iPhone dongle, they should do pretty well. I've tried with a cheaper desktop setup such as the Khadas Tone Board + JDS Atom, they sound a bit cleaner, especially in the bass but not a huge difference overall as with some other headphones. Cheers!

Ryan, really love your reviews. I wanted to ask, how would you rate your personal preference between the:
PM-3
Meze 99
MM-400
MW60

Would you say the MM-400 sound signature to be in between of the Meze 99's emphasis on bass vs the PM-3's mids?
Also, since owning it for sometime, has it aged well durability wise? Any issues?

I'm torn between considering the MM-400 or wait for the Drop + Panda (PM-3 replacements) to be available, but I'm looking for similar alternatives. Your reviews have helped narrowing them down :).

Thanks for your views!

Jun 2, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #1,408 of 1,435
Ryan, really love your reviews. I wanted to ask, how would you rate your personal preference between the:
PM-3
Meze 99
MM-400
MW60

Would you say the MM-400 sound signature to be in between of the Meze 99's emphasis on bass vs the PM-3's mids?
Also, since owning it for sometime, has it aged well durability wise? Any issues?

I'm torn between considering the MM-400 or wait for the Drop + Panda (PM-3 replacements) to be available, but I'm looking for similar alternatives. Your reviews have helped narrowing them down :).

Thanks for your views!

Wow, appreciate the kind words! Glad they're helping someone out haha

I think for me personally it would be the PM-3, MM-400, Meze 99 then MW60 with the latter two just being a bit dark and thick in the midrange for my tastes (but I know many who enjoy that).

The MM-400 is definitely more vibrant than the PM-3, it has more mid-bass and the midrange isn't as flat sounding, a bit more laid-back, a bit warmer but still quite natural to me. The lower-treble has more emphasis on the Denon which gives a bit more detail presence. If you're all in for the midrange, the PM-3 has the more accurate timbre whereas the MM-400 is a bit more U-shaped but also more pleasant to listen to at a glance imo.

I think with the Panda, you're getting a good package with the THX AAA amp and wireless functionality, the ergonomics were also great when I tried it. Unfortunately, quality portable headphones don't seem to be getting the same attention as other form factors but I still give my Oppo's and Denon's a listen from time to time and they remain enjoyable in the current day.

Jun 2, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #1,409 of 1,435
Wow, appreciate the kind words! Glad they're helping someone out haha

I think for me personally it would be the PM-3, MM-400, Meze 99 then MW60 with the latter two just being a bit dark and thick in the midrange for my tastes (but I know many who enjoy that).

The MM-400 is definitely more vibrant than the PM-3, it has more mid-bass and the midrange isn't as flat sounding, a bit more laid-back, a bit warmer but still quite natural to me. The lower-treble has more emphasis on the Denon which gives a bit more detail presence. If you're all in for the midrange, the PM-3 has the more accurate timbre whereas the MM-400 is a bit more U-shaped but also more pleasant to listen to at a glance imo.

I think with the Panda, you're getting a good package with the THX AAA amp and wireless functionality, the ergonomics were also great when I tried it. Unfortunately, quality portable headphones don't seem to be getting the same attention as other form factors but I still give my Oppo's and Denon's a listen from time to time and they remain enjoyable in the current day.

Thanks for sharing! Really appreciate your insight as you have owned both the PM3 and MM400 for some time. I agree it's sad that there isn't as much attention paid to closed back portables, the Drop + Panda may be a good option, hopefully. Having tried it, how do you find the sound quality and tonality when compared with the PM3? Did it improve it enough for your tastes?

The dilemma I'm in is because with the same USD399 budget i can either get the Drop + Panda or the Denon plus a quality Bluetooth dac to make it pseudo wireless and stilk have a little to spare to put towards a budget desktop dac (one of the Atom. Combos) unless the mm400 doesn't scale well with a desktop setup which in that case it'll be savings 😂. What would you do in my shoes, having tested the Drop + Panda and considering your preference of the PM3.

And whilst still on your preference, do you know of any other portables these days similar to the sound signature of the PM3/Mm400 that is worth considering?

TIA

Jun 2, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #1,410 of 1,435
Thanks for sharing! Really appreciate your insight as you have owned both the PM3 and MM400 for some time. I agree it's sad that there isn't as much attention paid to closed back portables, the Drop + Panda may be a good option, hopefully. Having tried it, how do you find the sound quality and tonality when compared with the PM3? Did it improve it enough for your tastes?

The dilemma I'm in is because with the same USD399 budget i can either get the Drop + Panda or the Denon plus a quality Bluetooth dac to make it pseudo wireless and stilk have a little to spare to put towards a budget desktop dac (one of the Atom. Combos) unless the mm400 doesn't scale well with a desktop setup which in that case it'll be savings 😂. What would you do in my shoes, having tested the Drop + Panda and considering your preference of the PM3.

And whilst still on your preference, do you know of any other portables these days similar to the sound signature of the PM3/Mm400 that is worth considering?

TIA

So I did play around with BT receivers with the Denon and Oppo, the experience is a bit awkward, even just ergonomically. I think you will get a better experience with the Panda tbh. Just more refined, newer standards and built around the driver can never be a bad thing.

I hadn't listened to the PM3 for a while before listening to the Panda so I can't comment directly what has changed, unfortunately. It was similarly quite balanced and natural to my ear, a bit dynamically flat but an enjoyable listen.

If you want to invest in a desktop setup too, Atom is a great way to go, with clean power for IEMs as well if you use them too. But then I had no issue with the amp in the Panda either, the driver isn't too sensitive so no noise, but at the same time there was good extension and control.

I haven't really dabbled in the newer offerings as I've moved towards IEMs and open-backs for personal usage. And for pricing, I paid about $120 AUD for my MM-400 in Japan, mint condition, truly incredible value. The PM3 is around $300 still here which makes the Panda a more logical option for most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back