Denon AH-MM400
Jun 7, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #991 of 1,435
Yes, I have Denon AH-MM400 and can tell you they are better than Beoplay H6 2nd generation. The bass is artificially boosted big time and was very harsh and distorting the overall sound. Compared probably 20 songs and not happy at all. Denons are very easy to listen to and so full of passion. For cheaper you can have two other headphones. The first is the only comparable to MM400 at this price point. It is called German Maestro 8.35D. The sound is out of this world especially if you upgrade to better ear pads but the version with the short cable is sold only from the official German Maestro website. Also it is a lot cheaper than Denon. Sound wise they are different with German Maestro having slightly better highs and very well controlled and fantastically executed bass but it is not a lot in terms of quantity. MM400 has equally well controlled and extended bass but it is a lot stronger without impacting negatively the other frequencies. Denon will perform equally great listening to hip hop and classical music. In that regard German Maestros are not for you if you listen to a lot of bass heavy music but with amp can reach the same powerful bass. Also if you listen to a lot of complex orchestral music with a lot of instruments or chamber choirs when wider sound stage is required Maestros have the edge. Emotional jazz is a total win for Denon. Isolation is good on both but nothing spectacular. Mids are top of the cream of both headphones. Both have better mids than PM3 or Bowers and Wilkins P7. Both have amazing clarity and detail but Denon is much better designed. It is extremely and I really mean extremely comfortable. German Maestro has a waaay too much clamp pressure and even with bigger and ticker ear pads I have to remove them after hour or two. Also the German Maestro is usually voted as one of the ugliest headphones ever created. I like them both just the same. It is a very, very close call. The sound is very addictive on both :) and both have top notch drivers and sounf even better with amp. The other heedphone I can recommend is Audio Technica ATH-MSR7. It is not at the same level as the first two but close enough. Very detailed energetic and bright sound. Yes it is bright and right in your face. Typical Audio Technica house sound at its best. It is a very nice  headphone with very good construction and very stylish. You can find them at around 200-210 USD on ebay. At Fry's electronics they have them in stock so you you can ask to demo a pair. And all 3 mentioned above headphones are better sound wise than the new Beoplay H6 2nd generation and the wireless H7. The bass is too much, uncontrolled and muddy. Highs are clear, precise, clinical and without emotion, boring. Mids are decent but nothing special.In terms of construction Beoplay are piece of art and are so light you barely notice them or completely forget they are on your head. The sound is very, very open almost like open headphones but with good isolation at the same time. I hope I helped.

Jun 11, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #992 of 1,435
Hey guys, I was just wondering : what DAP do you use them with ?

These are a fantastic pair for the Fiio X7 (AM1 for the moment).

They sound better than my full size rig...

Jun 11, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #993 of 1,435
Anyone know of a replacement cable without the in-line remote (or one with android controls) that's fairly cheap (under 30 USD)?

Jun 14, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #994 of 1,435
Have to ask if anyone found a nice upgrade cable path for these.  Bummer if the included cord is not up to snuff.  According to the specs the cable is built with fairly good quality wire.  One would only hope, but I have no problem upgrading to a better cable.  Am ordering these next week.  Can't wait.  I have owned the AHD-600s and 1001s.

Jun 14, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #995 of 1,435
Have to ask if anyone found a nice upgrade cable path for these.  Bummer if the included cord is not up to snuff.  According to the specs the cable is built with fairly good quality wire.  One would only hope, but I have no problem upgrading to a better cable.  Am ordering these next week.  Can't wait.  I have owned the AHD-600s and 1001s.
Sorry ekolite. I saw your question on my review but forgot to check the length of the cable last night. While the cables that come with the Denons don't look the part given the price bracket of the headphone, they are still of a very decent quality, especially sound wise. I would hold fire on buying a 3rd party cable unless you require one to run back to a home theatre set up or something, as the cables in the box aren't that long. Also, allow plenty of time for the cans to break in as they are a little bloated and muddy out of the box.

Jun 14, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #996 of 1,435
I just switched back to these from my Senn M2 Wireless.  I picked up a Dragonfly Red and connected it to my iPad.  Did some A/B/C between MM400 direct from iPad, MM400 through Red and M2.  MM400 through Red was the best by a fair amount.  Going to ride this combo for a while.

Jun 14, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #997 of 1,435
That's quite alright.  I'm quite a cable nut and even enjoy upgrading usb cables with hi-fi spec'd wire.  Just got word from Drew at Moon Audio that he could make me a run with either of his copper Dragon cables or the silver dragon cable too and he could make it fit the Denons.  I would just use his Ultrasone type connector and it should be a snug fit.  I'm going with the standard Blue Dragon copper cable as I suspect the Denon's to have a musical midrange focus and it should make for a quieter background and improve sound a bit on all fronts. Smoother, neutral improvement with the Blue.  Black Dragon adds a bit more bottom end bass focus and the silver, obviously more top end.  Do you think that would be the best match?  It's good to see that you are still using those Denon's.  Some people go through headphones like coffee grounds.  Nice review btw.

Jun 15, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #998 of 1,435
That's quite alright.  I'm quite a cable nut and even enjoy upgrading usb cables with hi-fi spec'd wire.  Just got word from Drew at Moon Audio that he could make me a run with either of his copper Dragon cables or the silver dragon cable too and he could make it fit the Denons.  I would just use his Ultrasone type connector and it should be a snug fit.  I'm going with the standard Blue Dragon copper cable as I suspect the Denon's to have a musical midrange focus and it should make for a quieter background and improve sound a bit on all fronts. Smoother, neutral improvement with the Blue.  Black Dragon adds a bit more bottom end bass focus and the silver, obviously more top end.  Do you think that would be the best match?  It's good to see that you are still using those Denon's.  Some people go through headphones like coffee grounds.  Nice review btw.
Well I was no different. I was changing headphones annually but these really fit my musical taste even more than a year on. Appreciate the compliment on my review :)

I think the midrange on these cans is a little recessed. They have just the right amount of top and bottom end for my taste. I personally would break them in more than 100 hours and based on how you wanted to tweak them, order the cable that's right for you. I would like to think in either case, you will enjoy the sound but might not appreciate the fact the cable is thin and ordinary for a headphone in this price bracket.

Jun 18, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #1,001 of 1,435
Just a quick update. Gave my Denon AH-MM400 and German Maestro 8.35D to a local high end audio shop for a week. After a lot of listening with high end amps and dacs and tons of high def misic they told me they are going to start to carry Denon in their shop. As I suspected the audio performance of both headphones impressed them equally and would not tell which one sounds better. Equally brilliant sound wise. But my friend told me he would not sell the maestros in his shop because the word uncomfortable has a whole new definition. All the emploees said that this is not a headphone but a medieval torture device. Also he mentioned their design is so horrible that only a crazy outdoor bootcamp freek would enjoy them on the head. Also he compared the Denons to a Ferrary. You know you have a power plant inside and beautiful design on the outside.

Jun 21, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #1,002 of 1,435
Turns out, Best Buy didn't have them in and only sold to order shipped to the store. Guy told me they had em' in. Was dissapionted, but decided to order them from Amazon. They are going down in price very slowly on there. Looking forward to arrival and plan to do a 50 hour burn in before any serious listening. I ordered a Moon Audio Blue Dragon cable for these Denons. I will be running from a ADL Stride headphone amp/Panasonic m.a.s.h portable cd player via it's line out with MoonAudio cables all around. Will post impressions after then. :_]

Jun 21, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #1,003 of 1,435
  Anyone know of a replacement cable without the in-line remote (or one with android controls) that's fairly cheap (under 30 USD)?

I finally got around to opening the plastic pack with the carrying bag and found another set of cables that's exactly what I wanted...

A huge facepalm from me to me...

Jun 27, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #1,005 of 1,435
So after letting them burn in with mono and stereo brown, pink and white noise and jamming tunes over the last 4 or 5 days I will assure you they sound marvelous. Even better with the moon audio cable for sure. The bass resonance has settled in with the wood a lot, mids have opened way up with occasional brightness at very loud volumes. Same thing I experienced with the ahd 600s with the same source and amp. I think I am going to save up for a Vorzuge amp come around the holidays. Did I mention very loud because damn be all if these things can crank. I am pushing about 100mw with the Stride amp and it says in the specs that they can handle 1000 mw max. That's good to know that I can upgrade to a much more powerful amp, if need be. I think they are worth 400. Probably would have paid 500 and would not have complained. The soundstage is just about right now as they were closed in, a bit dull with splashy treble and transients right out of the box.

Comfort is good. I have no issues with me ears touching anything inside, but people with bigger ears might have an issue. Listening to nothing but authentic compact discs. Everyone of them treated with Audience Disc Illuminator. Sublime sound. Brightness is going away a little at a time.
I am a very happy owner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back