Denon AH-MM400
Mar 18, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #286 of 1,435
  Sounds like something I wouldn't listen too, but I'll try it.......:wink:

What's the source? Using an Amp or Dac?

Keep in mind I am using that as an example. Compare to the headphones I have, the Denon seems fairly bright and cold sounding.

Spotify premium mostly. Note4 + Jds C5D or Grace Design M920.

Mar 18, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #287 of 1,435
  They certainly seem like they are - I can pull on them outwards enough that I can see the edge of the pad that usually wraps around the cup to keep them on. I don't want to pull it all the way off just in case they're a pain to put back on though, someone else can try that out.

That said, I think I did see somewhere that they're not supposed to be removable. Might've even been the manual that came with the headphones. I'll look it up tomorrow and reply back.

Thanks for the reply!

Mmm, I hope that part about them not being meant to be removable is untrue. Having user replaceable part is a big deal for me in headphones above $200.00 since so many manufacturers don't offer support where I live...

Mar 18, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #288 of 1,435
Btw, I just heard the D600 from Denon from my friend.

If anyone is debating between D600 and MM400, please just go with MM400. The mids on D600 sounds so recessed and the treble is artificial and almost unbearable sometimes.

The only things that D600 does better than MM400 is probably comfort, as the D600 an over-ear design and your ears will not touch the driver. The MM400 is on-ear, even though it's being advertised as over-ear. BUT, unless you have a large head, D600 won't fit you.

The bass is fun on D600, fairly detailed and very strong. but I prefer the tighter and more punchy mid bass on MM400. 

Mar 18, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #289 of 1,435
My 4 week old order from Amazon for these babies is FINALLY about to arrive.  Monday I'll have them in my hands and am excited for their arrival. 

Mar 18, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #290 of 1,435
Well I'm still very much enjoying my pair!

Looking forward to trying out the oppo pm-3's as well though, whichever is the best out of those two will be my final portable headphones I think, then I just want to find a nice desktop amp and DAC and I'm done (hah, yea right!)

Mar 19, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #292 of 1,435
Btw, I just heard the D600 from Denon from my friend.

If anyone is debating between D600 and MM400, please just go with MM400. The mids on D600 sounds so recessed and the treble is artificial and almost unbearable sometimes.

The only things that D600 does better than MM400 is probably comfort, as the D600 an over-ear design and your ears will not touch the driver. The MM400 is on-ear, even though it's being advertised as over-ear. BUT, unless you have a large head, D600 won't fit you.

The bass is fun on D600, fairly detailed and very strong. but I prefer the tighter and more punchy mid bass on MM400. 
Awesome to get a comparison of the two!

Mar 19, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #293 of 1,435
Well I'm still very much enjoying my pair!

Looking forward to trying out the oppo pm-3's as well though, whichever is the best out of those two will be my final portable headphones I think, then I just want to find a nice desktop amp and DAC and I'm done (hah, yea right!)
The PM3's have just arrived in Sydney and are selling for the same price the Denons cost me to import from Japan. Am yet to trek out to the store to try them. Very curious to hear your thoughts on how these compare.

Mar 19, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #294 of 1,435
My biggest complaint is the comfort, I headphones that have drivers touching my ears and market it as Over-ear :/

I am quite sensitive to uncomfy headphones. The V Moda M100s and B&W P7s both caused me heaps of discomfort. Can't say I have had any issues with these myself. My ears aren't touching the drivers and the headphones are around ear in my case. In this thread, I previously confirmed exactly the dimensions of the ear cups so people could tell if these would be too small for them.

Mar 19, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #295 of 1,435
So I am sitting here listening to music and my player has moved to the next folder, namely the Titanic soundtrack, an album I have not listened to in years. Far out there is some real magic here. The darn things sound so powerful and open with the way this was recorded, and I ripped it as mp3 at 320. Can't imagine what the hell these would sound like if it was lossless. Geez!

Mar 19, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #296 of 1,435
  My 4 week old order from Amazon for these babies is FINALLY about to arrive.  Monday I'll have them in my hands and am excited for their arrival. 

Nice, looking forward for your impression. I've read some your review (maybe D2000) a while back and I find it the same way. Hopefully I'm getting mine next month.

My biggest complaint is the comfort, I headphones that have drivers touching my ears and market it as Over-ear :/

In my understanding over the ear is about the pad cover your whole ear, the depth is nothing to do with it. But when I had that kind of problem with Sony MDR-1R, some people in forum suggest to put some tissue or cotton in between the driver and the pad to make more depth, I'm not sure if its possible for the ah mm400

I am quite sensitive to uncomfy headphones. The V Moda M100s and B&W P7s both caused me heaps of discomfort. Can't say I have had any issues with these myself. My ears aren't touching the drivers and the headphones are around ear in my case. In this thread, I previously confirmed exactly the dimensions of the ear cups so people could tell if these would be too small for them.

I can say the same about the P7. Not really comfy at first but getting used to it after a while.

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #297 of 1,435

In my understanding over the ear is about the pad cover your whole ear, the depth is nothing to do with it. But when I had that kind of problem with Sony MDR-1R, some people in forum suggest to put some tissue or cotton in between the driver and the pad to make more depth, I'm not sure if its possible for the ah mm400

Of course, everyone's definition is different. To me, in a very general sense, over-ear means that it's the most comfortable, meaning nothing is touching my ears. 

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #298 of 1,435
The PM3's have just arrived in Sydney and are selling for the same price the Denons cost me to import from Japan. Am yet to trek out to the store to try them. Very curious to hear your thoughts on how these compare.

Agreed, very much looking forward to PM3 vs. MM400 impressions.  Just ordered the Audeze EL-8, but still need a pair for portability, and struggling between PM3 and MM400 :)

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #299 of 1,435

Of course, everyone's definition is different. To me, in a very general sense, over-ear means that it's the most comfortable, meaning nothing is touching my ears. 

Sure, when I hear over-ear I would be expect it will be comfortable too.

Agreed, very much looking forward to PM3 vs. MM400 impressions.  Just ordered the Audeze EL-8, but still need a pair for portability, and struggling between PM3 and MM400 :)

And I would be interested hearing MM400 vs EL-8. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back