Denon AH-MM400
Feb 19, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #32 of 1,435
Thanks for the review and updates, musikaladin!

These are definitely on my short list.
L3000.gif

Feb 19, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #33 of 1,435
...I just amended my review here, with more pictures better displaying their size in relation to other headphones, and also an update concerning the development of their sound along further break-in.

Thanks musikaladin. A very useful thing to see for those wondering about their size, and useful thing to read considering the lack of current reviews online. I have taken the plunge and will provide my thoughts here once I receive them.

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #35 of 1,435
So I have the P7's and am wanting to sell them off because of comfort issues. Would you class these as just as transparent in the mids or do they sound confused or muffled? I would be happy with it being less bassy but is the bass present, clean and fast acting? I have always felt the P7 bass to be slow and distorted at times. Any idea whether the pads are replaceable? Is there any creaking sounds or are these as solidly built as the P7`s? Size wise, other than being able to fold, do they look like a portable or like something as significant as the P7`s. I don't want them to be compact, and am hoping their ear cups are large enough cause it will increase the chances they sound more spacious. Sorry for all the questions, not getting them in Australia for at least another 3 months so may have to resort to getting them online based on impressions here.

Mids are nice on these headphones, IMO a little nicer than the mids on the p7's although I thought the p7's had an edge in the treble (I don't find it too harsh or bright at all with any of my music) and the bass was a bit punchier on the p7's but was overall a bit more balanced on the mm400's as there wasn't quite as much quantity compared to the p7. As for comfort, these were as comfortable as my well worn in p7's (which I can and have worn comfortably for 10 hour + plane flights) so I can't really comment on long term comfort but they were initially very nice. The cups were a little less deep but I didn't have an issue with my ears touching the baffle in any case.

Size wise they're flatter on the head than the p7's due to the shallower cups but as my ears didn't touch the baffle I think the lower profile look was a plus. Build quality was great, just as nice as the p7's IMO!

Hope that helps a bit. :)

I do hope they're not as bright as the P7's, sometimes they sounded a little bit harsh with (bad DR) recordings. 

Not as bright but I actually like that bit of sparkle the p7's have. It's not harsh at all to my ears, especially not compared to something like the audio technica msr7 if you've ever heard it.

Sounds like these mm400's would be more to your liking though!

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #36 of 1,435
Just got them. Straight out of the box they sound very good. Better in comparison with the P7. My ears fit in the cups, although they are relatively small. 

So far very satisfied with these. Will write a full review next week. 

Feb 19, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #37 of 1,435
Just got them. Straight out of the box they sound very good. Better in comparison with the P7. My ears fit in the cups, although they are relatively small. 

So far very satisfied with these. Will write a full review next week. 
Well done. Enjoy. Can't wait to hear your thoughts and for mine to arrive :)

Feb 19, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #38 of 1,435
Mids are nice on these headphones, IMO a little nicer than the mids on the p7's although I thought the p7's had an edge in the treble (I don't find it too harsh or bright at all with any of my music) and the bass was a bit punchier on the p7's but was overall a bit more balanced on the mm400's as there wasn't quite as much quantity compared to the p7. As for comfort, these were as comfortable as my well worn in p7's (which I can and have worn comfortably for 10 hour + plane flights) so I can't really comment on long term comfort but they were initially very nice. The cups were a little less deep but I didn't have an issue with my ears touching the baffle in any case.

Size wise they're flatter on the head than the p7's due to the shallower cups but as my ears didn't touch the baffle I think the lower profile look was a plus. Build quality was great, just as nice as the p7's IMO!

Hope that helps a bit. :)
Not as bright but I actually like that bit of sparkle the p7's have. It's not harsh at all to my ears, especially not compared to something like the audio technica msr7 if you've ever heard it.

Sounds like these mm400's would be more to your liking though!
Sounds like these will be my cup of tea. I've had 3 denons previously and all were comfy. Ah-d2000's were beautifully made but their sound to me was a bit grainy, their bass a tad light and mids seemed a little confused relative to the Momentum I had at the time. The ah-d1000 were a gorgeous headphone, nice build, beautiful sound but felt a bit closed in with their soundstage and ear cups were too tiny. The ah-d1100 solved the earcup issue but had too much bass presence and a plastic build I couldn't stand. I hope these strike the right balance. Not to mention, I've dreamt of owning headphones with wooden earcups for years but the others I read about from other manufacturers didn't fit the bill sound or wallet wise.

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #39 of 1,435
Well if momentum 2.0 and the oppo pm-3 don't work out I very well get a pair of these to use as my new portable alongside or replacing my p7. The lower profile on the head and what felt like a little lower weight combined with the still lovely sound is quite a combo!

Edit: on the other hand, they're extremely cheap while I'm here in Japan... I can get them for under $400aud as compared to $550 back in Melbourne. Now I've got some decision making to make....

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #41 of 1,435
what's wrong with your P7?

IMO they're still too bulky and maybe a bit too heavy so when I move my head up and down they tend to slip around a bit. If they were as flat on the head as the denons or my Sony MDR 1r's they would pretty much ideal... They're really worn in comfort and sound wise now so no issues there though. Ideally I also like it when headphones fold flat compared to folding up like the p7 and the denons but they're still better than headphones that don't fold at all like the old momentums.

I also just like to try new stuff which is why I'm looking forward to the pm-3, would be my first planar headphone so it will be interesting to hear the difference!

Feb 20, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #42 of 1,435
Well if momentum 2.0 and the oppo pm-3 don't work out I very well get a pair of these to use as my new portable alongside or replacing my p7. The lower profile on the head and what felt like a little lower weight combined with the still lovely sound is quite a combo!

Edit: on the other hand, they're extremely cheap while I'm here in Japan... I can get them for under $400aud as compared to $550 back in Melbourne. Now I've got some decision making to make....
I live in Oz and just paid $525 to get them imported from Japan. If you have any inkling you might want them later, get them while you can. I would've if I could've. They're a steal for that price. And if you change your mind, you could always sell them off and make a bit of a killing.

I was so wanting to wait for the PM3 too but they just came off as a bit lower quality build wise in the videos I saw for the price I'm seeing them for.

Feb 20, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #43 of 1,435
I live in Oz and just paid $525 to get them imported from Japan. If you have any inkling you might want them later, get them while you can. I would've if I could've. They're a steal for that price. And if you change your mind, you could always sell them off and make a bit of a killing.

I was so wanting to wait for the PM3 too but they just came off as a bit lower quality build wise in the videos I saw for the price I'm seeing them for.

Yea, I'm gonna pick them up before I go home and either sell them or the p7's after the honeymoon period is over. The store I'll be getting them from also has the pm-3 now so I'll try them out while I'm there, I see if the sound quality makes them worth a buy.

Feb 20, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #44 of 1,435
Yea, I'm gonna pick them up before I go home and either sell them or the p7's after the honeymoon period is over. The store I'll be getting them from also has the pm-3 now so I'll try them out while I'm there, I see if the sound quality makes them worth a buy.
Wise move. So interested to see your side by side comparison with the PM3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back