Denon AH-MM400
Dec 15, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #1,337 of 1,435
Try the Boss Hifi B8 those cans have the same earcups as the Denon. Could be you even like their sound better so you don't have to replace the cushions on your Denon. The B8 cans might even be a bit cheaper than a pair of cushions hehe.

Dec 28, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #1,338 of 1,435
Can someone please direct me to a decent replacement cable that doesn't require modification or grinding? I've looked at most of the links throughout this thread for replacement cables. Unfortunately, most all of them are no longer available.
As for the headphones, they're pretty good. I still like the Beoplay H6 better, but I want to see if anything changes after some adequate burn in time. I thought for sure some of the cables I have would work, but that oval jack is pretty dumb. I don't want to file any of them down unless I have to. It amazes me that with both these and my H6s, two high quality and well built cans that aren't cheap, come with such crap 5 dollar cables.

Dec 30, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #1,340 of 1,435
Is it a common problem for headband to break? Amazon reviews have me worried. Dont wanna pay 300 $ for a product that is gonna break easy.
I think those reviews are from persons who mishandled them possibly. These are some of the most sturdy, well built headphones I've handled. I can't imagine the headband breaking without some form of neglect.

Dec 30, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #1,341 of 1,435
I think those reviews are from persons who mishandled them possibly. These are some of the most sturdy, well built headphones I've handled. I can't imagine the headband breaking without some form of neglect.

Yeah but check the amazon reviews. Even a review on here says the headband broke after light use. So... very concerning to me.

Dec 30, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #1,342 of 1,435
Yeah but check the amazon reviews. Even a review on here says the headband broke after light use. So... very concerning to me.
I'm referring to the Amazon reviews. I have very little concern, though I handle what is of importance to me with care.

Dec 30, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #1,343 of 1,435
Is it a common problem for headband to break? Amazon reviews have me worried. Dont wanna pay 300 $ for a product that is gonna break easy.
I would not pay $300 for it either, but not because its not worth it. It is. You can find them cheaper these days.

That has to be an odd case because these are the second most sturdy headphones I have owned.
I have been throwing them around for over a year, and recently the swivel gave way so it can swivel freely, which is nice but not good for the wire which can get twisted.

The most sturdy or rugged headphones I had were the B&W P5

These Denon have a similar feature that my Ultrasone ED5 had, which was angled drivers. You simply don't see that in portables.

The driver is also highly capable, but is tuned a bit thick, so its easy to just open and fill in some dampening of your choice to brighten up the sound.
They really are a great headphone.

Dec 30, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #1,344 of 1,435
I would not pay $300 for it either, but not because its not worth it. It is. You can find them cheaper these days.

That has to be an odd case because these are the second most sturdy headphones I have owned.
I have been throwing them around for over a year, and recently the swivel gave way so it can swivel freely, which is nice but not good for the wire which can get twisted.

The most sturdy or rugged headphones I had were the B&W P5

These Denon have a similar feature that my Ultrasone ED5 had, which was angled drivers. You simply don't see that in portables.

The driver is also highly capable, but is tuned a bit thick, so its easy to just open and fill in some dampening of your choice to brighten up the sound.
They really are a great headphone.
Can you elaborate on this dampening material and procedure? These have been throwing me off, like a lot. I believe you hit the nail on the head saying the tuning is a bit thick. I'm pretty close to returning mine. They don't sound as good as I anticipated with rock music. They just sound kinda dull without tweaking the mids and highs more than I like.

Dec 30, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #1,347 of 1,435
Dec 30, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #1,348 of 1,435
Thick like M50x?
No, not at all. The sound is much more clear and clean. It just has a very slightly darker sound. I might be returning mine. There really good, but I like my Beoplay H6 better. They suit me. I'm going to decide by tomorrow. If I do, and you're interested, I can sell you these. They're brand new. Have about 4 hours on them.

Dec 30, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #1,349 of 1,435
Can you elaborate on this dampening material and procedure? These have been throwing me off, like a lot. I believe you hit the nail on the head saying the tuning is a bit thick. I'm pretty close to returning mine. They don't sound as good as I anticipated with rock music. They just sound kinda dull without tweaking the mids and highs more than I like.
It is MY guess that these headphones were intentionally tuned this way because of stupid marketing thinking the user will be listening to modern shrill pop music and that consumer likes bass lol.

To liven I would try felt type material inside.
Find at your local arts&crafts store.
Generally:
*Foam will suck mids.
*Creatology will suck lower treble.
*Cottony stuff will suck more bass.

Not hard to open and fill.
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back