Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Feb 10, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #4,291 of 4,391
I'm using an Oidio cable that I originally bought for my Focal Clears. That was my second Oidio cable the first being purchased to replace a terminally damaged stock cable for my Oppo PM1s. The Oppo's cable was by far the best stock cable I've ever used. I honestly cannot say that, apart from a reduction in microphonics, I notice any discernible improvement in audio quality from any of the stock cables. Had the Oppo not had 2.5mm jacks then the first Oidio cable would have serviced my three current 'phones.

Oidio.jpg

Oppo pm1 is my most regretful sale...

Feb 10, 2024 at 4:43 PM Post #4,293 of 4,391
Screenshot from 2024-02-10 13-37-12.png

Alright folks, I bring great news, I just made the purchase. I also made sure to leave the cable artist a message about what my setup is, just incase clarification is necessary. I also made sure to thank the cable artist ahead of time, because I recently learned how much work is involved, and time, in doing the braiding process of the cable. I know making a cable from scratch is not something I would do, because I lack the patience and skills for it. So, I just wanted them to know that I am grateful.

Additionally, I am grateful from the help I received from you @zolkis as its also much appreciated. Glad we have awesome folks like you on Head-Fi!

Feb 11, 2024 at 5:03 AM Post #4,294 of 4,391
Cables can be madly expensive. I saw some on sale here (speaker) for NZ125,000 a set. My new Subaru Outback XT only cost $75,000!!

I’ve got Kimber 8TC in my main system. Due to having 4 way speakers with 4 amps per speaker, I need 4 leads for each side. That’s 16 meters total of Kimber 8TC at $310/m….

I got it second hand so paid about half price.

The Denons have yet to arrive (post is show here) but when they do I’ll certainly consider cables for them. I’ll probably have to order from overseas to get anything worthwhile though.

Feb 11, 2024 at 5:04 AM Post #4,295 of 4,391
Screenshot from 2024-02-10 13-37-12.png

Alright folks, I bring great news, I just made the purchase. I also made sure to leave the cable artist a message about what my setup is, just incase clarification is necessary. I also made sure to thank the cable artist ahead of time, because I recently learned how much work is involved, and time, in doing the braiding process of the cable. I know making a cable from scratch is not something I would do, because I lack the patience and skills for it. So, I just wanted them to know that I am grateful.

Additionally, I am grateful from the help I received from you @zolkis as its also much appreciated. Glad we have awesome folks like you on Head-Fi!
No gift wrapping?

But yes, that's still a reasonable price given how much work it is to make that cable to high standards.

Feb 11, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #4,297 of 4,391
No gift wrapping?

But yes, that's still a reasonable price given how much work it is to make that cable to high standards.

HAHA, nope, I don't gift wrap for myself.

I agree, that is a reasonable price for the cable, even cheaper then the prices you folks were talking about, in regards to where your price caps are for cables, for what you would be willing to buy. That shipping cost though, seems a bit high. But thats probably the international shipping rate when you include the VAT taxes/customs tax and whatnot. Could you imagine if I were buying a 100 pound item from Europe? Yikes lol.

I really like the design of the black Forza cables, their like a work of art. I'm not into the transparent copper red color fad that has been a thing for years now though, give me black, the color of darkness, thats how cables should be colored. And if you tripped over the black cable cause you couldn't see it, well thats your fault for putting it there LMAO!

Feb 11, 2024 at 9:33 PM Post #4,298 of 4,391
Well, they arrived today.

First impressions: what a lovely pair of headphones. They have an effortless old school quality feel to them without appearing dated. Solid, simple design reflecting human anatomy and lifestyle.

Sound wise (and literally out of the box, not run in, using stock cables) my immediate thought was that my Focal Clears can probably get sold.

The lower registers are significantly better in the 9200's than the Clears. The double bass on some Miles Davis tracks genuinely sounds like an instrument and reaches deeper than it does even on a pair of 4 way floor standers.

Mids are lovely, articulate and with excellent presence. Super instrument separation as well.

Treble more present than on the Clear to my ears. On the small group jazz recordings I heard, it was very good. Principally there was only the cymbals etc from one drummer in that range though. I tried a couple of more modern Dad Rock tracks and they were mostly fine, although one Fleetwood Mac track was a bit 'tizzy'.

I suspect the hot treble will settle after some hours of use though and it does seem quite recording dependent so I don't feel confident to say whether it is a fault/characteristic of the headphones or of the recording in question.

Overall, these are REALLY nice to listen to and much better than I might have expected given that Denon are not exactly an audiophile brand per se.

These are not hyper flat reference cans; they are certainly somewhat tuned but I think I would sum up early impressions as very euphonic and musical.

If your aim is to relax and enjoy music, these could well suit you. If you have more esoteric needs, there might be better choices. However, for the comfy chair, glass of something, book open on lap sort of scenario, spot on!

Feb 12, 2024 at 5:12 AM Post #4,299 of 4,391
The microphonics will probably continue to exist with a cable with a textile jacket. It does not slide on the fabric of the clothing, but rubs against the fabric of the clothing.
Hi!

I don't know about other cables, but at least with the Noir it is 0 microphonics. Nothing at all. And mind you that for a while there I was actually taking them for a ride to work, Metro and walking. Comfortable, sturdy and nothing but music.

Lui

Feb 12, 2024 at 5:22 AM Post #4,300 of 4,391
Well, they arrived today.

First impressions: what a lovely pair of headphones. They have an effortless old school quality feel to them without appearing dated. Solid, simple design reflecting human anatomy and lifestyle.

Sound wise (and literally out of the box, not run in, using stock cables) my immediate thought was that my Focal Clears can probably get sold.

The lower registers are significantly better in the 9200's than the Clears. The double bass on some Miles Davis tracks genuinely sounds like an instrument and reaches deeper than it does even on a pair of 4 way floor standers.

Mids are lovely, articulate and with excellent presence. Super instrument separation as well.

Treble more present than on the Clear to my ears. On the small group jazz recordings I heard, it was very good. Principally there was only the cymbals etc from one drummer in that range though. I tried a couple of more modern Dad Rock tracks and they were mostly fine, although one Fleetwood Mac track was a bit 'tizzy'.

I suspect the hot treble will settle after some hours of use though and it does seem quite recording dependent so I don't feel confident to say whether it is a fault/characteristic of the headphones or of the recording in question.

Overall, these are REALLY nice to listen to and much better than I might have expected given that Denon are not exactly an audiophile brand per se.

These are not hyper flat reference cans; they are certainly somewhat tuned but I think I would sum up early impressions as very euphonic and musical.

If your aim is to relax and enjoy music, these could well suit you. If you have more esoteric needs, there might be better choices. However, for the comfy chair, glass of something, book open on lap sort of scenario, spot on!

Hi Kiwi,

Glad you like them!

In fact reminded of a note I had after my little test that I didn't publish in my post...

As of late, I have been hitting hard the Meze Elites I recently got. Amazing pair of headphones, with lots of detail and fine characteristics, and definitely worth the crazy price.

And yet, since I forced myself to listen as objectively as I could during the test, taking into consideration some necessary parameters, I found that the 9200s were lots of fun to listen to, musical and (definitely yes) a bit tuned but with elegance and with respect for music enjoyment in mind.
I was very pleasantly surprised of how much I enjoyed my test session (mostly with the good cable of course).

The 9200s are relaxed, musical fun to listen to, playing far above their league and price, I will be doing more switching between the two, as the listening experiences complement themselves quite well.

Another item that is never going out of style.

Lui

Feb 12, 2024 at 6:31 AM Post #4,302 of 4,391
Can everyone stop making me miss the D9200 I sold please. Thanks.

Get the cheap'o D7200 which is an ultimate chill HP from Denons. D9200 to my ears needs a warm source while D7200 is much less picky. Drivers on D9200 are obviously better, especially on how it resolves complex passages, but tweaked D7200 gets fairly close. With a bit of EQ sparkle in treble region you can yield maybe 85-90% of D9200 except bass region.

I'm a bit of Focal fan because of OG Utopia, but when I audition for closed back I had to admit that D9200 took the win against Stellia. Slightly less technical, but much better timbre with whole presentation moving you closer to the actual record.

Feb 12, 2024 at 7:27 AM Post #4,303 of 4,391
Get the cheap'o D7200 which is an ultimate chill HP from Denons. D9200 to my ears needs a warm source while D7200 is much less picky. Drivers on D9200 are obviously better, especially on how it resolves complex passages, but tweaked D7200 gets fairly close. With a bit of EQ sparkle in treble region you can yield maybe 85-90% of D9200 except bass region.

I'm a bit of Focal fan because of OG Utopia, but when I audition for closed back I had to admit that D9200 took the win against Stellia. Slightly less technical, but much better timbre with whole presentation moving you closer to the actual record.
Still haven’t tried the d7200 actually and am keen to (heard they’re great for heavier stuff), plus can be grabbed for good prices atm. Will investigate…!

And yep agreed the D9200 > Stellia sonically.

Feb 12, 2024 at 9:21 AM Post #4,304 of 4,391
The 9200s are relaxed, musical fun to listen to, playing far above their league and price,
Stop this kind of hype train, its not 100% true, especially for everyone taste.
- Its nothing short of relaxed, for me relaxed is a totally different meaning, its like the fiio FT5, ibasso SR2, HD660s they are relaxed, the D9200 not.
- I agree its musical and fun to listen to
- But again, these "they are well above their price and league" comments, just nonono. Every product worth as much as their retail price or less, but never more. Their 1500$ price is quite hefty, and okey u pay the "closed back extra" bounty, but literally they sound like a 500$ open back, without the soundstage. The remaining price is for the closed back enclosure and build quality. I tell u, the ibasso SR2 sounds as good overall (different strenghts and weaknesses), but its leak a little although not much, if u dont need 100% seal, its a better deal for 500$.

Feb 12, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #4,305 of 4,391
Stop this kind of hype train, its not 100% true, especially for everyone taste.
- Its nothing short of relaxed, for me relaxed is a totally different meaning, its like the fiio FT5, ibasso SR2, HD660s they are relaxed, the D9200 not.
- I agree its musical and fun to listen to
- But again, these "they are well above their price and league" comments, just nonono. Every product worth as much as their retail price or less, but never more. Their 1500$ price is quite hefty, and okey u pay the "closed back extra" bounty, but literally they sound like a 500$ open back, without the soundstage. The remaining price is for the closed back enclosure and build quality. I tell u, the ibasso SR2 sounds as good overall (different strenghts and weaknesses), but its leak a little although not much, if u dont need 100% seal, its a better deal for 500$.
Posters are entitled to share their opinions - I think we all understand on here that the views shared here are going to be subjective. You will find others in this thread who sincerely believe the D9200 are on par with eg the Focal Clear Og/MG or equivalent in terms of sound. Equally, there will be others who disagree. There’s no point getting annoyed at the poster you’ve quoted and accusing them of hype, whilst thinking your opinion that these sound like $500 open backs somehow holds more weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back