Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Aug 1, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #3,346 of 4,391
A87478F3-44B8-46BE-8D1A-DF2B8852EF43.jpeg

Edit: just got them in today. Headband isn’t too comfortable after a while. I like that they are tighter around my head than the old denons and fostex. A bit Brighter than I anticipated, bass comes in nicely when a song calls for it. Wish the pad opening was slightly larger.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #3,347 of 4,391
I'm using mine with the iFi Go Bar and I've been impressed. As most people say, this headphone doesn't require much to maximize it's potential

Aug 1, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #3,348 of 4,391
Thanks for the amp advice. To me they seem to change a fair amount depending on the source. When I first got them I had an entry level amp and dac by schiit and jds labs. I think it was the modi 2 or 3 and the atom. There was definitely a push towards increased "hi-fi-ness" in the form of treble I believe. It made certain songs sound angelic and other songs were a bit much to the point where I couldn't listen long without taking a break.

The chord mojo basically fixed the sound but ran out of batteries all the time. I still wish there was a desktop mojo for a decent price. The A90 and D90 I think are probably giving a good clean signal that sounds transcendent with perfect recordings but not great with others that I enjoy from the same source on the d7000 or even on my stock car speakers. They're probably showing the truth but I like a little lipstick on my pigs if that makes any sense.

Aug 2, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #3,349 of 4,391
What's the preferred amp for the d9200 at the moment? I think they need a little bit of relaxation and warmth. Would love to have a sound somewhere between the d9200 and the d7000. I've seen people say the a90 amp makes phones sound cold and boring and I sort of remember them sounding perfect with the chord mojo but I got sick of running out of batteries and sold it. Is there a reasonably priced amp that can synergize with d9200 better than A90?
I like the valhalla 2 a lot.

Aug 2, 2022 at 11:39 PM Post #3,350 of 4,391
not really an ideal or recommended pairing - but i found the d9200 performs still very admirably with my intel nuc12's onboard audio! with 105db/mW sensitivity, it's really kind to low power sources! i didnt use the onboard audio for many years but seems they have progressed a lot to get to this level! there's no hiss or obvious abnormalities from the onboard audio output at all!

after upgrading my old nuc8i7hvk to nuc12dcmi9 for a while. an idea suddenly flashed across my mind - why not directly plug some of the more efficiency cans into the nuc directly to see if it works? last few days, i experienced with a few of my cans with 3.5mm cables like stellia, WP900, D9200 and even D8000pro. not surprising, D8000pro is way underpower and even WP900 is not sounding "normal" even with 100% vol in tidal app. however, the result was really satisfying with stellia (i could even turn the vol down to 85% for the stellia) and D9200! i'm not really a critical listener but frankly either cans plugged straightly to the onboard audio (a c-media usb 2.0 audio device it shows) giving me adequate and enjoyable performance.

just the stellia stock 3.5mm cable is too thick, rigid and short (its 1.2m seems way shorter than then other 1.2m cables!) and hence not well suited for my desktop setup. i finally settled with D9200 with my nuc12 and can save about 20W power consumption of my A90/D90 combo in most cases. or when i wish to enjoy with more demanding cans :o2smile:

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 6:06 AM Post #3,352 of 4,391
What's the preferred amp for the d9200 at the moment? I think they need a little bit of relaxation and warmth. Would love to have a sound somewhere between the d9200 and the d7000. I've seen people say the a90 amp makes phones sound cold and boring and I sort of remember them sounding perfect with the chord mojo but I got sick of running out of batteries and sold it. Is there a reasonably priced amp that can synergize with d9200 better than A90?

I am also interested in opinions, because I am standing before the same decision. I was also thinking of getting the A90, but I am curious if there is a better solution.

Aug 3, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #3,353 of 4,391
A87478F3-44B8-46BE-8D1A-DF2B8852EF43.jpeg
Edit: just got them in today. Headband isn’t too comfortable after a while. I like that they are tighter around my head than the old denons and fostex. A bit Brighter than I anticipated, bass comes in nicely when a song calls for it. Wish the pad opening was slightly larger.
Incredible collection... Are @jmills8 a member of your family? :wink:

Aug 3, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #3,354 of 4,391
LOL. Maybe a long lost cousin. I have always appreciated @jmills8 contributions to the TH900 thread, as well as this one. I like his ideology and approach to this hobby. I fell in love with closed back Denons/Fostex. Until I find something better, that I can afford of course, and meets my personal tastes, then I'll stick to these. They are all a little bit different from one another, I swear :). The D9200 has all my attention right now though (New Toy Syndrome). Currently listening to the new Anjunabeats Volume 16.

Aug 3, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #3,355 of 4,391
Edit: Double Post for some reason

Aug 3, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #3,356 of 4,391
AH-D900-Gallery-1_eu.png
Denon-AH-D9200-01.jpg
https://www.denon.com/en-us/product/over-ear-headphones/ah-d9200

Development History (in Japanese) -
https://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/topic/1147497.html

Features:
  • Patented 50mm FreeEdge Nanofiber driver with over 1 Tesla neodymium magnet delivers high-resolution audio with incredible precision and minimal distortion
  • Distinguished Japanese Moso bamboo wood earcup with distinct wood grain pattern offers inherent acoustic properties that provide enhanced sound dampening for more accurate sound reproduction
  • Soft, engineered Japanese leather over ergonomic memory foam earpads provides maximum comfort for extended listening and durability
  • Aluminum diecast hanger with genuine leather headband for durable, quality craftsmanship for years of enjoyment
  • 3.0m silver coated OFC (oxygen-free copper) cable with 6.3mm plug features highest quality cable connection for Hi-Fi listening experiences
  • 1.3m audio cable with 3.5mm plug lets you enjoy your headphones with portable music players over a pure audio signal
  • Luxury hard storage case and cleaning cloth keeps your AH-D9200 safe and in pristine condition
  • Individually hand-assembled in Japan
Specs:

- Sensitivity = 105dB/mW
- Impedance = 24 Ohms
- Weight = 375g

Denon's new flagship is coming in October 2018 and will retail for approx. $1500.
How does this compare with Fostex TH900, particularly the bass?

Aug 4, 2022 at 1:45 AM Post #3,358 of 4,391
I'm too new of an owner of the D9200 to give impressions but the TH900 has more sub bass emphasis, wider soundstage from what I can tell immediately. Like many have said I have yet to find a better headphone for EDM, which is 90% of what I listen to. Even so, I still think the D9200 has enough bass impact for anyone, it's tight and clean (giggaty), and seems to handle EQ very well. With the Lokius, I prefer it with the bass up to about 8-9 o'clock, the rest constant.

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #3,359 of 4,391
How does this compare with Fostex TH900, particularly the bass? Thanks.
In my opinion...

The TH900 has more impact (with EQ) but the highs are pretty harsh with stock pads. Coming from any other headphone, it would take me 30 minutes to get used to the sound of the 900. The D9200 is fuller (and more enjoyable) sounding and mids aren't recessed vs. the 900. Bass is enjoyable on the 9200 but the D7200 has more quantity.

Aug 4, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #3,360 of 4,391
I have a feeling some dekoni elite hybrid pads would sound great with these but they don't make any yet. They're about 1/4" smaller than the d7000 cups. Something about those pads just makes phones sound better. I tried the dekoni higher end stock style leather pads as well as ebay pads on the d7000 and when you go from the elite hybrid pads back to regular leather it seems like the sound gets a little congested or something. Like when you turn up big speakers in a small room and they get that unpleasant shouti-ness. I have a feeling having a little extra room in the ear holes combined with those little pin holes acts like room treatment does for home theatre setups. I wish they would come out with some elite hybrid pads that fit the 9200 but they still sound amazing as is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back