Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Apr 9, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #2,401 of 4,398
SilverEars,

there are so many factors at play here, like the device (source), balanced or single ended cable, has it been burned in (I found that my 9200 improved significantly after about 250 hours), the recording which I personally find a major factor, and so on. Also pairing (match-up) can make or break your experience.

I bought an upgrade cable (Fiio Lc-Re) for my Beyerdynamic Xelento inears, and they opened up the soundstage considerably.

I'd be interested to know about the rig you are using.

I do agree though that open backed would sound airier and more open, but as far as closed backed headphones go I haven't heard anything better in this price range. The Focal Stellia is like double the price and still I find the 9200 a lot more engaging.
In my experience all those factors matter significantly less with the 9200 than with most other headphones as it's quite easy to drive and absolutely not picky as long as you don't pair it with something overly bright.

And i honestly doubt that your D9200 improved significantly after 250 hours of burn in. How do you guys even know how many hours you got? Do you sit there with a stopwatch?

I do agree though that it's one of the best closed backs out there especially if you want something uncomplicated driven from a dap.

Apr 9, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #2,402 of 4,398
Hey Deolum,

I agree, my pair up is indeed with a somewhat warmer sounding dap, the Cayin N6mk2.

When I got the 9200's they sounded somewhat harsher to my ears than when I listned to the demo model at the store. After the burn in... there it was, the sound that made me buy them. Would a shorter burn in be sufficient? Yes probably, the 250 hours is probably just my OCD talking :wink:

The 250 hours? I just let them run about 10 days straight, clamped on some bubble wrap... (giving the a break once in a while though). For me they did sound different afterwards, although maybe you are right, "significantly" is maybe a little overstated.. :yum:

I know there are some sceptics out there, but Abyss (Joe) said in one of their videos on youtube that their headphones get burnt in before they ship them out. So do Stax I have read, and John Grado mentioned in an in terview (I think it was with Steve Guttenberg the audiophiliac?) that the top end (2000 series I recall) also get some burn in before shipping.

I personally beleive that the burn-in makes a difference, also for cables.

In any case I do love the 9200's!

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #2,403 of 4,398
This is all subjective and everyone has an opinion...having owned quite a few of what are considered the best closed-back hp's available, I only own the D9200. I hear no issue with imaging or upper mids. Thus the beauty of this hobby, no one can tell me what I hear or no one can tell you what you hear. That applies to burn-in or any other topic or product.

Apr 14, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #2,405 of 4,398
Question to the round. Coming from a combination of Denon AH-D9200 and Questyle CMA400i, it is time to upgrade to the next level ... My three current considerations are:

Questyle CMA Twelve Master (DAC + AMP)
Burson Conductor 3X Reference (DAC + AMP)
Violectic v281 (AMP)

Any recommendations with regards to the synergy with my Denon cans? Cables in use are Forza Audioworks Noir HPC MK2 and Cardas Parsec, both balanced. Source is a FiiO M15 player. Connection to Questyle and Burson would be digital over USB, connection to Violectric would be over analog Line-In.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #2,406 of 4,398
I have D9200 now as my main headphone at home. There I use it with iFi Diablo, old Hifiman tube amp and more iFi products. Therefore I can not accurately remember how perfect it was with my office Burson Conductor 3X Reference. But I definitely did like D9200 with Burson. I love the Conductor 3X and use it in the office with Audio-Technica ATH-ADX5000, which is an open headphone and slightly brighter than D9200, as well as with Hifiman HE-6, which is very demanding about the amp.

Apr 14, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #2,407 of 4,398
Question to the round. Coming from a combination of Denon AH-D9200 and Questyle CMA400i, it is time to upgrade to the next level ... My three current considerations are:

Questyle CMA Twelve Master (DAC + AMP)
Burson Conductor 3X Reference (DAC + AMP)
Violectic v281 (AMP)

Any recommendations with regards to the synergy with my Denon cans? Cables in use are Forza Audioworks Noir HPC MK2 and Cardas Parsec, both balanced. Source is a FiiO M15 player. Connection to Questyle and Burson would be digital over USB, connection to Violectric would be over analog Line-In.
I still prefer the AH-D9200 on the CMA400i personally, even I got other "better" amplifiers (Soloist 3XP, V281, GS-X mini, SA-1). The Questyle CMA Twelve Master was very long on my next-buy list, but finally I opted somehow against it (no analogue input, presumably little different tuning to the CMA400i, Questyle's ZERO customer support strategy).
But if you get a really good offer on the Twelve you should give it a try (...and report please :smirk: )!

Apr 14, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #2,408 of 4,398
Listening to Jazz with the 9200, and I'm not really enjoying the imaging all that much. The images of the sounds isn't as distinct as they can be. It's mainly due to be closed-back I believe. I guess that's the caveat with it being a closed-back, not getting the distinct imaging some open-backs can exhibit really well. I can still hear the reflection in the cups, and it feels like there's an enclosed-ness to sound (like the sound space is bounded in), and causes some fuzziness to sound or blending, not as clear sounding as can be.

Even Sundara for example can image much better than these headphones, but of course it's not a closed-back.
Generally speaking, closed-back headphones suffer in the imaging department, in relative comparison to its open-back brethren. Even a well-tuned - and cheaper - open headphone could easily produce better imaging cues than the big boys in the closed sphere. Sadly, the AH-D9200 is not an exception to the rule.

Apr 15, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #2,409 of 4,398
Generally speaking, closed-back headphones suffer in the imaging department, in relative comparison to its open-back brethren. Even a well-tuned - and cheaper - open headphone could easily produce better imaging cues than the big boys in the closed sphere. Sadly, the AH-D9200 is not an exception to the rule.
Are there some closed headphones that don't have this problem?

Apr 15, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #2,410 of 4,398
Apr 15, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #2,412 of 4,398
Unfortunately, it's too obvious when I go from HE6 to D9200 sorry to say. I'm pretty sure even Sundara @$350 stomps it like dog poo on the ground.
Guess you found the flaw you wanted to find. Cost you some money

Apr 15, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #2,414 of 4,398
Apples and pears....
Indeed.. Like criticising a Smart that it will not run at 200mph just like your Ferrari until you realise that your Ferrari doesn't fit in that small parking spot that only your Smart can squeeze into...

Open backs and closed backs have their own advantages and disatvantages.. I have and have had both and for each their were moments and music styles where I preferred open backs over closed backs and vice versa. Apples and pears. Nothing more, nothing less....

Apr 15, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #2,415 of 4,398
... and then there are speakers... if I want to enjoy a whole evening of good music, I turn on my Oracle Delphi, Leben tube amps and enjoy listening to Blue Note jazz on Tone Poet vinyl reissues. That is also more social and less annoying to your loved one than the sound leaking from your best open headphones. That is why a great closed heaphone is often more useful In real life situations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back