Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Apr 17, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #2,433 of 4,360
Yes, you are right, The alcohol in the wipes are not a good thing..

I forgot to mention that..sorry. Only use microfibre cloths, and not too often either.
In my experience, do not use microfibre cloths.
They're much more aggressive than cotton cloths and could destroy the protective surface of the leather.

For cleaning real leather, i'd advice to use something like leather soap.
This soap will grease the leather for longevity while cleaning.
Like your skin, the leather needs this refatting effect from time to time to stay smooth.

For daily/weekly care just use a damped cotton cloth with wiping dry the leather afterwards.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #2,434 of 4,360
In my experience, do not use microfibre cloths.
They're much more aggressive than cotton cloths and could destroy the protective surface of the leather.

For cleaning real leather, i'd advice to use something like leather soap.
This soap will grease the leather for longevity while cleaning.
Like your skin, the leather needs this refatting effect from time to time to stay smooth.

For daily/weekly care just use a damped cotton cloth with wiping dry the leather afterwards.
Maybe best you sweaty oily hair skin guys should shower before using your headphones. Had my th900 for over 6 years where I used them on the go in the heat , rain and yes I sweat with 0 issues.

Apr 17, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #2,435 of 4,360
Following @Malevolent recomendations, almost all the days I use the AH-D9200s, after use them, I clean the headband and earpads first with a baby towel (the ones I use with my little daughter, with no alcohol) and afterthat, I use a kleenex to remove the wet from the earpads and the headband. He told me that he does that with all his headphones, and he has many :wink:

It's a little cumbersome, but I hope my headphones won't peel with time.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #2,436 of 4,360
Following @Malevolent recomendations, almost all the days I use the AH-D9200s, after use them, I clean the headband and earpads first with a baby towel (the ones I use with my little daughter, with no alcohol) and afterthat, I use a kleenex to remove the wet from the earpads and the headband. He told me that he does that with all his headphones, and he has many :wink:

It's a little cumbersome, but I hope my headphones won't peel with time.
You should also apply leather conditioner if you're cleaning them that much.

Apr 18, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #2,437 of 4,360
A curiosity, the skin used in Denon 9200 is black or dark brown?

Apr 18, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #2,440 of 4,360
Dark Brown and pairs really good with the wooden cups. Under certain light effects and distance You notice the colour 💯 %
Thanks , they have to come to me and I can't tell from the pictures :thumbsup:

Apr 18, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #2,441 of 4,360
Seriously that looks like bonded leather to me, genuine leather does not peel. False advertising, or counterfeit headphone? I'm going false advertising.
The leather on the top of the headband (and it appears to me from my pair, on the sides of the earpads, too) is genuine and of high quality. The "face" of the earpads and the quilted underside of the band is, as Denon states on their website, "engineered" leather (read "protein leather"). Not exactly clear to the purchaser, but not false, either. Either way, that level of deterioration after only 1.5 years is disturbing.

Apr 18, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #2,442 of 4,360
Mine are 1.5y old, and are used almost every day. Still in pristine condition. I would contact Denon about it, but it looks as if the treatment they have been getting may not have become them.

Apr 18, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #2,443 of 4,360
The leather on the top of the headband (and it appears to me from my pair, on the sides of the earpads, too) is genuine and of high quality. The "face" of the earpads and the quilted underside of the band is, as Denon states on their website, "engineered" leather (read "protein leather"). Not exactly clear to the purchaser, but not false, either. Either way, that level of deterioration after only 1.5 years is disturbing.
the engineered leather is much much softer imo. I've had my denon's almost a year using it almost every day. i think i didn't use it 2 maybe 3 days in the past year, but i also keep the leather conditioned, and use a leather cleaning product on it. right now I've been using guardsman clean & renew and protect and preserve on them the clean and renew about every week, and the protect and preserve about every month.

Apr 18, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #2,444 of 4,360
the engineered leather is much much softer imo. I've had my denon's almost a year using it almost every day. i think i didn't use it 2 maybe 3 days in the past year, but i also keep the leather conditioned, and use a leather cleaning product on it. right now I've been using guardsman clean & renew and protect and preserve on them the clean and renew about every week, and the protect and preserve about every month.
Wow you guys clean a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back