Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Feb 26, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #2,326 of 4,412
I have to say I really love the bamboo and how you can see its structure. It adds a bit of personality and a story that is unique for this headphone.

In general, I think the AH-D9200 feels the most like a unique and handcrafted item in my collection. That gives it a certain timeless luxury feel.
Am still anxiously waiting to get a pair; how do you like them compared to Clears?

Feb 26, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #2,327 of 4,412
Am still anxiously waiting to get a pair; how do you like them compared to Clears?

I find it hard to compare the two. They're both excellent headphones, however, I find more use for the AH-D9200 day-to-day. From memory: They are both excellent and both have feel like the musicians are performing inside your brain. The Clear sounds more open (duh) and really shine with vocals and the AH-D9200 has a punchier and clearer bass and maybe a bit more of an intimate feel.

I'll go away thinking about this and do some side-to-side comparisons to come back to you.

Feb 26, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #2,328 of 4,412
1614364911120.png

Matt from Forza sent me my balanced output adapter for the Focal Arche.
I managed to level up again.
There is a wider sound stage now.
I wish some of you guys could experience how my 9200 sounds on my set-up.

Feb 26, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #2,329 of 4,412
@WDitters @Mark R-S @bvhme

Looks like the AH-D9200 has a somewhat divisive quality, at least in terms of looks and aesthetics.

For me, I'm a huge fan of wood-cupped headphones. (come on, who isn't? :wink:) However, I think that Denon could have changed the appearance of the AH-D9200 to reflect a more.. classy look?

Oh, well, different strokes for different folks. This is another example of how personalized the world of audio can be - we have myriad signatures, variances in quality, differences in design, etc. :)

Mar 2, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #2,330 of 4,412
I'm a new AH-D9200 owner as of a few days ago. So far, I'm very happy with them, except for the fact that the isolation from incoming background noise isn't very good. It's a clear step down from what I experience when using the Focal Elegia with Dekoni Elite Sheepskin pads and not that much better than my HD-6XX open backs.

From reading through this thread, it's seems to be the consensus that third-party earpads tend to degrade the sound quality. Has anyone found any that impact the sound minimally but increase isolation significantly? Thanks!

Mar 2, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #2,331 of 4,412
I'm a new AH-D9200 owner as of a few days ago. So far, I'm very happy with them, except for the fact that the isolation from incoming background noise isn't very good. It's a clear step down from what I experience when using the Focal Elegia with Dekoni Elite Sheepskin pads and not that much better than my HD-6XX open backs.

From reading through this thread, it's seems to be the consensus that third-party earpads tend to degrade the sound quality. Has anyone found any that impact the sound minimally but increase isolation significantly? Thanks!
Not saying you didn't already think of this, but have you experimented with your isolation by adjusting the cups up or down?

Mar 2, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #2,332 of 4,412

Don't underestimate the effect of a lighter, more 'open' type of wood on the overall sound signature. They did not pick Bamboo without reason ... 😊

Mar 2, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #2,333 of 4,412
Not saying you didn't already think of this, but have you experimented with your isolation by adjusting the cups up or down?
Heh! Yup, I've tried a few different settings but without much of a difference. I think part of my issue is that I have a fairly small head, so the clamping force is low. That makes it really comfortable but probably lessens the isolation.

Mar 2, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #2,334 of 4,412
Don't underestimate the effect of a lighter, more 'open' type of wood on the overall sound signature. They did not pick Bamboo without reason ... 😊
True! Tapping on the side of a cup makes a nice, loud clacking...there's not much isolation from that direction. :relaxed: So deeper or denser foam in the pads might not help much.

Mar 2, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #2,335 of 4,412
Heh! Yup, I've tried a few different settings but without much of a difference. I think part of my issue is that I have a fairly small head, so the clamping force is low. That makes it really comfortable but probably lessens the isolation.
This is a fairly normal behavior of the D9200, frankly spoken. :)
It has very low isolation for a closed back.
The lowest i've experienced so far on my little closed back journey.

Mar 2, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #2,336 of 4,412
This is a fairly normal behavior of the D9200, frankly spoken. :)
It has very low isolation for a closed back.
The lowest i've experienced so far on my little closed back journey.
TH900 is much worse isolation.

Mar 3, 2021 at 12:57 AM Post #2,337 of 4,412
TH900 is much worse isolation.
So both aren't a great pairing for home office. :)
Didn't expect that it could be much worse.
Thx for the heads up. :)

Mar 3, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #2,339 of 4,412
Mar 3, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #2,340 of 4,412

Users who are viewing this thread

Back