Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Feb 22, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #2,311 of 4,398
It has been a couple weeks since I received my Denon AH-D9200 and I finally wanted to share my quick impressions.

They sound absolutely sublime. I am using the RME ADI-2 FS DAC at desk and Hiby R6 2020
for on-the-go. Sometimes also simply plug into my iPhone with the Apple 3.5mm dongle (and they still sound great).

I think what stands out the most, besides clear and transparent mids is the texture and layering of the bass. I can hear (and feel) the depth and intensity of the bass in a way that I haven’t before.

They are great for all kinds of music I find, and especially great for EDM, which I listen to a lot. No surprises there I guess as this is what I have heard about them before.

I took 15 minutes to test my pair and wanted to share with @Random Lunatic that, as someone who is a ‘perfectionist’ myself, I am happy with my pair. Yes, it has a somewhat uneven stitching... but I think it’s because it’s hand-made.
I also noticed that the Left cup, when tilted on its axis up and down makes a quiet ratchet-like noise that isn’t there on the Right cup. As far as tension goes, both cups’ movement on hinges and axis is not far from being equal, so it’s not perfect but nothing noticeable (eg. the cups don’t flop down or rotate on their own when headphones are moved).
That is to say - all is well and none of these ‘imperfections’ I noted above have any impact once they are on my head. 😎

If you have an actual issue perhaps you should try another pair, maybe 3rd time is the charm? if anything, sound-wise they are worth it.

I would like to thank @WDitters... he may not know it, but I am thankful as he was the one who made me look into the D9200, after meeting him in the B&O H95 thread. 😃

I would also like to give a special thanks to @Malevolent , who has been an absolute endless source of knowledge and has helped me vastly with advice in finding what is now my closed-back end game pair of headphones 🎧.

Cheers everyone!

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #2,312 of 4,398
It has been a couple weeks since I received my Denon AH-D9200 and I finally wanted to share my quick impressions.

They sound absolutely sublime. I am using the RME ADI-2 FS DAC at desk and Hiby R6 2020
for on-the-go. Sometimes also simply plug into my iPhone with the Apple 3.5mm dongle (and they still sound great).

I think what stands out the most, besides clear and transparent mids is the texture and layering of the bass. I can hear (and feel) the depth and intensity of the bass in a way that I haven’t before.

They are great for all kinds of music I find, and especially great for EDM, which I listen to a lot. No surprises there I guess as this is what I have heard about them before.

I took 15 minutes to test my pair and wanted to share with @Random Lunatic that, as someone who is a ‘perfectionist’ myself, I am happy with my pair. Yes, it has a somewhat uneven stitching... but I think it’s because it’s hand-made.
I also noticed that the Left cup, when tilted on its axis up and down makes a quiet ratchet-like noise that isn’t there on the Right cup. As far as tension goes, both cups’ movement on hinges and axis is not far from being equal, so it’s not perfect but nothing noticeable (eg. the cups don’t flop down or rotate on their own when headphones are moved).
That is to say - all is well and none of these ‘imperfections’ I noted above have any impact once they are on my head. 😎

If you have an actual issue perhaps you should try another pair, maybe 3rd time is the charm? if anything, sound-wise they are worth it.

I would like to thank @WDitters... he may not know it but I am thankful as he was the one who made look into the D9200, after meeting him in the B&O H95 thread. 😃

I would also like to give a special thanks to @Malevolent , who has been an absolute endless source of knowledge and has helped me vastly with advice in finding what is now my closed-back end game pair of headphones 🎧.

Cheers everyone!

Glad you've found that special one. :)

I wish you hours of pleasure on end. :smile:

Thou, i've to say that i'm going to sell my D9200.
It's too similar to the Era-1 for me.
Maybe my ears aren't that good. ^^
The Quads offers a better listening pleasure to me overall. 🤷‍♂️

Nonetheless, i'm heading for another closed back.
We'll see what's next. :)

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #2,313 of 4,398
Thou, i've to say that i'm going to sell my D9200.
... that will be a tough one ... to find a better closed back than the D9200 :astonished:
It's too similar to the Era-1 for me.
Can't argue with individual perception of sound, but that would not be my conclusion :sunglasses:
Nonetheless, i'm heading for another closed back.
Maybe you check out planar closed backs like the Aeon 2 Closed, if they suite you more.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #2,314 of 4,398
... that will be a tough one ... to find a better closed back than the D9200 :astonished:

Can't argue with individual perception of sound, but that would not be my conclusion :sunglasses:

Maybe you check out planar closed backs like the Aeon 2 Closed, if they suite you more.
Well, it's not about finding a better closed back per se.
Only to find a different one, i think. :wink:
The D9200 is a truly end game closed back headphone, nothing to argue against.
Maybe after my journey i'll be back with the D9200, who knows. ^^

Guess it comes down to the right pairing in that area, at least for me.
I'm not on the hunt for the last bit of detail, more so to what sounds really nice and enjoyable on the long run to me.

Imo, the whole package of the Quad is a tad better for me.

But the last word has not yet been spoken here. :)

Feb 23, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #2,315 of 4,398
Anyway, I'd like to chime in on this particular topic.

When I took my AH-D9200 out into my living room - the first time that it's been moved out of my bedroom since it was purchased - I noticed that the pads had a slight brownish hue; they look exactly like the ones in the photos posted by @Mark R-S. I've never noticed this before, actually. :)
I think 'brownish hue' is the right way to describe it, and it's only really noticeable in certain light - especially if you have something to compare them to, such as the D7200. I've since noticed that some of Denon's promo photos show the brownish hue as well. As you mentioned earlier, it does look quite classy.

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #2,316 of 4,398

I would like to thank @WDitters... he may not know it, but I am thankful as he was the one who made me look into the D9200, after meeting him in the B&O H95 thread. 😃

Cheers everyone!

341125ED-D44C-44A6-B19E-A9147FDD46CC.jpeg
I'm (really) thrilled to see and acknowledge another member of the AH-D9200 fan club! We're a growing bunch! :)

This headphone definitely deserves more praise and accolades than it currently gets. Within the closed-back side of things, this is almost as good as it gets, IMO.

I've tried almost every single (top-tier) closed-back headphone, and I own some of them, too, but I always, always go back to the Denon. It has the right blend of balance, bass texture and quality, treble sparkle and detail, and a dose of midrange magic to top it all of. Plus, the AH-D9200 is no detail monster, but it is still a fairly-well-resolving headphone.

In the grand scheme of things, it's perfectly balanced, as Thanos would say.

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #2,317 of 4,398
Guess it comes down to the right pairing in that area, at least for me.
I'm not on the hunt for the last bit of detail, more so to what sounds really nice and enjoyable on the long run to me.
This is definitely true, for me, at least. I don't care for absolute detail or summit-level clarity. Rather, I place great importance on the aspect of musicality, and how the headphone makes my music sound more fun and engaging.

Feb 23, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #2,318 of 4,398
It looks ugly to me. I know it shouldn't matter but the styling is awful. Lucky for me I don't have extra money to spend on another pair of cans right now :D

Feb 23, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #2,319 of 4,398
It looks ugly to me. I know it shouldn't matter but the styling is awful. Lucky for me I don't have extra money to spend on another pair of cans right now :D
Hehe.
Are you looking in a mirror while listening to your music? :smile:

In comparison to many other headphones, i like the styling of the D9200 much better.
But that is for sure a matter of personal taste.

Feb 25, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #2,320 of 4,398
Looking for some recommendations for a headamp that pairs well with with the Denon AH-D9200.. I am looking for just a tad more body and warmth compared to my M15 and RNHP. Budget around €500 give or take

After hesitating too long and therefore missing out on a Violectric HPA V200 I ended up with a pre-owned Questyle CAM400i DAC/AMP for €500,00 .... What a magnificent combination this turned out to be ... I have literally been living inside my AH-D9200 three evenings in a row, to the extent that even my wife started to complain ... :) ... But man .. This combo turned out to be Audiophile Nirvana :hearts:

Todo:
Proper USB C to B cable (TBD recommendations welcome)
Proper power cable (TBD recommendations welcome)
Transparent Top Cover (incoming)
4.4mm to XLR4 adapter (incoming)

Attachments

• 153188437_10158285980192151_5354010605046462502_o.jpg
    153188437_10158285980192151_5354010605046462502_o.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #2,321 of 4,398
After hesitating too long and therefore missing out on a Violectric HPA V200 I ended up with a pre-owned Questyle CAM400i DAC/AMP for €500,00 .... What a magnificent combination this turned out to be ... I have literally been living inside my AH-D9200 three evenings in a row, to the extent that even my wife started to complain ... :) ... But man .. This combo turned out to be Audiophile Nirvana :hearts:

Todo:
Proper USB C to B cable (TBD recommendations welcome)
Proper power cable (TBD recommendations welcome)
Transparent Top Cover (incoming)
4.4mm to XLR4 adapter (incoming)
Nice setup!
Glad to hear you are enjoying it. 🎧👍

Regarding a USB C to USB B cable, I am using this one with my RME ADI-2 DAC/Amp.
Good quality, flexible material, and I think the price is reasonable.
Comes in different lengths. They also have USB A to USB B if you need.

Neo by Oyaide d+ USB Type C (Type C - Type B) Hi-Speed and Durable Digital Cable for DJ’s, Musicians and Producers https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZRDH5C4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_BB888B979RAQCZB4C6BQ

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #2,322 of 4,398
To be frank, I think the AH-D9200 is the least pretty-looking of the Denon trio; the AH-D7200 looks the best, followed by the AH-D5200. The bamboo on the flagship is a tad too pale for my liking. If they kept the bamboo, but applied a layer of lacquer over the cups, giving it a shiny appearance, I think they'll look a lot better (à la the AH-D7000).

Feb 26, 2021 at 7:00 AM Post #2,323 of 4,398
To be frank, I think the AH-D9200 is the least pretty-looking of the Denon trio; the AH-D7200 looks the best, followed by the AH-D5200. The bamboo on the flagship is a tad too pale for my liking. If they kept the bamboo, but applied a layer of lacquer over the cups, giving it a shiny appearance, I think they'll look a lot better (à la the AH-D7000).

Be that as it may (I agree that the 9200 is indeed the ugly duckling of the three) unfortunately I think that a layer of varnish also would ruins the physically beneficial effect of the bamboo's airyness and cellular structure on the overall sound quality .. This bamboo's characteristic is also the one that makes it sound so damn good. I would not want to risk the wood's pores to be clogged with varnish.. I rather have a pair of ugly headphones than a pair of good looking ones 😂😂

*updated* to reflect that according to the official product description the D9200 in fact appears to be lacquered, (and not varnished).

Quote: "Take a look at the images above that show the Denon crew at work. Each bamboo wood earcup is sculpted and sanded, then coated with a lacquer finish. Just holding them in my hands, I could sense the level of care and close attention to detail involved here"

That being the case I remember having read somewhere that it was the properties of bamboo as opposed to other types of wood that give the D9200 their specific quality and personality .. :)

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #2,324 of 4,398
I agree with that. The bare wood of the D7200s is very good looking and has a nice warm feel. Mine have really improved with age and now have a really dark, rich appearance. The lacquered bamboo of the 9200s doesn't look or feel nearly as nice. I haven't ever owned D7000s, but I did own a set of D7100s, and the varnished wood on those was beautiful, but covered with plastic.
In general I don't like varnished wood on headphones because I'm afraid of damaging it - I'm almost afraid to touch my bubinga wood LCD-XCs.

Feb 26, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #2,325 of 4,398
I have to say I really love the bamboo and how you can see its structure. It adds a bit of personality and a story that is unique for this headphone.

In general, I think the AH-D9200 feels the most like a unique and handcrafted item in my collection. That gives it a certain timeless luxury feel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back