Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Feb 18, 2021 at 2:01 AM Post #2,282 of 4,398
I was just answering his question. The 9200 is a very nice value performer.
It absolutely is.. And in my opinion would de sever a much bigger audience 😍

Feb 18, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #2,283 of 4,398
I have the WH-1000XM4 myself, and while I think that it is a generally comfortable headphone, I actually prefer the AH-D9200 in the comfort stakes, thanks to 2 key factors - a slightly looser grip, and larger, plusher pads. Listening to both for at least 1-2 hours, I find my ears getting a little sore when I'm using the WH-1000XM4; conversely, the Denon presents no major usability issues.
Perfect, that’s exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you! The XM4 are honestly such a practical day-to-day commuter headphone.

I had to cancel my order and move states, sucks but I will one day have these on my head.. Or I can stay where I am for 3 more months and get these now hmm:L3000:
Oh no... well hopefully you can order them soon. And you still might get yours before me hahahah
I can tell you my experience... I had comfort issues with the Beyer T 1.3 that I posted about here, in it's thread. When I ordered the Denons, I was worried because of the people that had problems with the 9200s headband. Even, I asked to Malevolent and bythebookiii to measure their heads to compare with mine. I'm so crazy....

When I received them, I put at 6 position, but the same day I had to put at 7 because of a slightly annoyance in the center of my head. At 7 they fit me perfect and I found very comfortable. The pads have the perfect size for my ears to don't touch, even slightly, them.

The T1 pads (I think in all generations) are smaller than the Amiron or 1990 Pro pads, from which I had no problemas at all.
Cool! Thanks for that. I had the 1.2 which I found really comfortable but the 1.3 was quite uncomfortable for me when I tried them in store. I found that the clamp force was quite high and the pads were small.

Feb 19, 2021 at 4:29 AM Post #2,284 of 4,398
I hope some of the other owners on here can help me! I'm currently struggling with a warranty claim on a brand new pair of these, and would like to ask other owners in here whether you experience the hinges on the headphones being more loose on one side than the other (in my case the single twisting hinge right by the headband extension)? And whether your pads are quite different (both sides not being quite the same thickness or on side less evenly stitched)?

My pair has issues with both these, and were returned to the retailer, and apparently had one pad replaced, and the headband replaced, but even so when they returned has the exact same issue again; and they say this is apparently a common issue - so before I decide what to do from here I'd just like to gauge whether I can expect to run into the same issue again if I get another pair...

Hope some of you will chime in :)

Feb 19, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #2,285 of 4,398
I hope some of the other owners on here can help me! I'm currently struggling with a warranty claim on a brand new pair of these, and would like to ask other owners in here whether you experience the hinges on the headphones being more loose on one side than the other (in my case the single twisting hinge right by the headband extension)? And whether your pads are quite different (both sides not being quite the same thickness or on side less evenly stitched)?

My pair has issues with both these, and were returned to the retailer, and apparently had one pad replaced, and the headband replaced, but even so when they returned has the exact same issue again; and they say this is apparently a common issue - so before I decide what to do from here I'd just like to gauge whether I can expect to run into the same issue again if I get another pair...

You dont have OCD right ?

Feb 19, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #2,286 of 4,398

I just checked my D9200 and one earcup rotates more freely than the other. I haven't noticed it before and it's not something I'm concerned about. Both sides of my D7200s rotate very freely, but they're much older than my D9200s.

The stitching on the earpads is also a bit different but, again, not something which I've noticed before or which concerns me. Same goes for my D7200s and LCD-XCs.

-Mark.

Feb 19, 2021 at 6:24 AM Post #2,287 of 4,398
You dont have OCD right ?
Not that I know of - you might call me a perfectionist. I'm also an industrial designer, so I tend to pay attention to details.

All of that said, I don't see the relevance of any of that: having a loose/wobbly hinge on a brand new 1800€ flagship headphone is not acceptable in my book. Its not a slight difference: one side is tight enough that it doesn't move on its own if I tilt the headphones, and doesn't contour to the head unless moved by hand, whilst the other wobbles freely, to the point where it can rock slightly in the sideways direction, not just around, because there is a slight gap between the two parts.

That and the unevenly stitched pads, made from fake leather, which cost 300€ to replace - when I can buy perfectly identical pads, made from actual leather, for 20€ for my other headphones...

Anyway, I'm not looking to crucify Denon or the local dealer here; I'm just trying to gauge if its a common issue. Others might be fine with it, I just find it inexcusable at this sort of price/quality.
My father has a pair thats perfectly fine, with no irregularities, even after a year of use - they were the reason I bought a pair myself, so I know they can do it right.

Feb 19, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #2,288 of 4,398

Here too, one earcup rotates better than the other.

Feb 19, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #2,289 of 4,398
I just checked my D9200 and one earcup rotates more freely than the other. I haven't noticed it before and it's not something I'm concerned about. Both sides of my D7200s rotate very freely, but they're much older than my D9200s.

The stitching on the earpads is also a bit different but, again, not something which I've noticed before or which concerns me. Same goes for my D7200s and LCD-XCs.

-Mark.
Thank you, thats slightly concerning for me I guess. I know the pads won't be 100% identical, generally, but mine are definitely more uneven than Audeze's pads have been on the numerous pairs of their headphones I've had, or other stitched pads I've had. Especially given that its pleather I'd expect them to be identical, like fostex' stuff.

Feb 19, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #2,290 of 4,398
Not that I know of - you might call me a perfectionist. I'm also an industrial designer, so I tend to pay attention to details.

All of that said, I don't see the relevance of any of that: having a loose/wobbly hinge on a brand new 1800€ flagship headphone is not acceptable in my book. Its not a slight difference: one side is tight enough that it doesn't move on its own if I tilt the headphones, and doesn't contour to the head unless moved by hand, whilst the other wobbles freely, to the point where it can rock slightly in the sideways direction, not just around, because there is a slight gap between the two parts.

That and the unevenly stitched pads, made from fake leather, which cost 300€ to replace - when I can buy perfectly identical pads, made from actual leather, for 20€ for my other headphones...

Anyway, I'm not looking to crucify Denon or the local dealer here; I'm just trying to gauge if its a common issue. Others might be fine with it, I just find it inexcusable at this sort of price/quality.
My father has a pair thats perfectly fine, with no irregularities, even after a year of use - they were the reason I bought a pair myself, so I know they can do it right.
Maybe one side is loser so one can slide one ear cup off such as when mixing music.

Feb 19, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #2,291 of 4,398
Thank you, thats slightly concerning for me I guess. I know the pads won't be 100% identical, generally, but mine are definitely more uneven than Audeze's pads have been on the numerous pairs of their headphones I've had, or other stitched pads I've had. Especially given that its pleather I'd expect them to be identical, like fostex' stuff.

Mine also has slightly more swivel on one side and the pads are not totally symetrical. Both things that in 0% interfere with it's functioning. My theory is that they focus on different things in production. I think these are built very well.

Feb 19, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #2,292 of 4,398
The friction in the hangar pivots is probably partly due to the design with large flat faces rotating against each other. As mentioned though, it isn't something I've paid attention to before.

The variation the the Audeze pads is less apparent because they're so much thicker. Have you tried giving the pads a little massage to adjust how the foam sits inside? I noticed that one of my pads had rounder corners than the other, but a little massage fixed it.

Mark.

Feb 19, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #2,293 of 4,398
The issue that you are commenting here is something that @Verificateur said me via PM and I checked the same with my AH-D9200. When you move the left cup inwards and outwards it makes a little noise, like is touching the hinges or something like that. The right one, move freely without any problem. But that is something that only happens when you are cleaning the headphones or holding to put them on... Not when you are using them, so not a problem for me.

Feb 19, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #2,295 of 4,398
The friction in the hangar pivots is probably partly due to the design with large flat faces rotating against each other. As mentioned though, it isn't something I've paid attention to before.

The variation the the Audeze pads is less apparent because they're so much thicker. Have you tried giving the pads a little massage to adjust how the foam sits inside? I noticed that one of my pads had rounder corners than the other, but a little massage fixed it.

Mark.
Yea, I want the friction - having the tolerance so on the hinge so bad it can literally wobble in a direction counter to the pivot just feels like shoddy build quality to me.

massaging the pads won’t do anything because the actual pleather strip that forms the pad is uneven; it’s not like it is straight but just stuffed unevenly, from what I can tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back