Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Feb 6, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #2,206 of 4,391
So I've been plugging the D9200 into everything that I have to test them out and it's been great, but imagine my surprise when I removed them from the iBasso DX300 and connected them to the PS5 dual sense controller 3.5mm jack.

The dual sense controller was able to drive them decently at nearly 75% volume! Not only loudness, but low end, dynamics and a good soundstage were there too! Sure it's not as good as using an external AMP/DAC, but the PS5 is only compatible with a handful since it doesn't support the newer USB UAC2 standard and doesn't have an optical out. Even so, the Denons sounded much better than Sony's own PS5 Pulse 3D wireless headset. :sweat_smile:

I've got some other low impedance headphones and they sounded lacking when connected to the PS5 gamepad but not the Denons. Check 'em out, I'm sure you'll be surprised too! :beyersmile:

Feb 6, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #2,208 of 4,391
hi, i have to buy a dap for my adh 9200 with streaming and sd card, any recommendations
I am currently looking at Hiby R6 2020 myself and had asked a similar question above.
My requirements are similar to yours, and what tempts me in the new R6 is the fast specs since I will be mostly streaming.
If anyone has any additional thoughts let us know. 😛

Feb 6, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #2,209 of 4,391
hi, i have to buy a dap for my adh 9200 with streaming and sd card, any recommendations
I recommend Ibasso dx300 - good price-value and has changeable amp cards, which will be released over time, so you can swap according to music and taste.
But it belongs to the larger category (seems to be trend like with smartphones) but there are even bigger ones 😉

Feb 6, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #2,210 of 4,391
The AH-D9200 is scalable, and plays well with a myriad devices. I've tried it with my Chord Mojo, Chord Hugo 2, Hiby R3, and my desktop system. No major issues with any of them. Synergy might be a (slight) issue, but, by and large, the AH-D9200 is an easygoing customer for a variety of sources. :)

Feb 7, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #2,211 of 4,391
Is it still true that it is difficult to get replacement pads from Denon for the 9200? Combined with the crazy cost (100+USD) , it is making it pretty likely I wont buy these.....since I would plan on keeping them and using them long enough to need new earpads. Seems crazy, even companies like Focal, charging such extreme rates for pads when you pay such a premium price for the product in the first place.

At least with most other companies you know that you have some legacy support and dont have to pay the price a few years down the road.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #2,212 of 4,391
Is it still true that it is difficult to get replacement pads from Denon for the 9200? Combined with the crazy cost (100+USD) , it is making it pretty likely I wont buy these.....since I would plan on keeping them and using them long enough to need new earpads. Seems crazy, even companies like Focal, charging such extreme rates for pads when you pay such a premium price for the product in the first place.

At least with most other companies you know that you have some legacy support and dont have to pay the price a few years down the road.
You can buy replacements from various places. My buddy bought a pair for less than 20 usd.

Feb 7, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #2,213 of 4,391
I recommend Ibasso dx300 - good price-value and has changeable amp cards, which will be released over time, so you can swap according to music and taste.
But it belongs to the larger category (seems to be trend like with smartphones) but there are even bigger ones 😉
I have had the R8, returned faulty unit, and now have the DX300 and the Shanling M8. I prefer the M8 with the D9200. The organic tonality just pairs so well with it.

Feb 7, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #2,214 of 4,391
I have had the R8, returned faulty unit, and now have the DX300 and the Shanling M8. I prefer the M8 with the D9200. The organic tonality just pairs so well with it.
I must confess that the best pairing for me still is DX220 max...
But that's more a desktop brick.
Though DX300 is a super multimedia machine and sounds super (just not as much detail and instrument separation, clarity as max) I will return it now and stick to my old Max.
Let's see what future brings, e.g. Fiio M17...😉

Feb 7, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #2,215 of 4,391
I must confess that the best pairing for me still is DX220 max...
But that's more a desktop brick.
Though DX300 is a super multimedia machine and sounds super (just not as much detail and instrument separation, clarity as max) I will return it now and stick to my old Max.
Let's see what future brings, e.g. Fiio M17...😉
I have never been a huge iBasso fan..wanted to hear the Max though. I forgot to mention my favorite DAP pairing with the D9200 is the SP2000, but it really is cost prohibitive for the majority of folks.

Feb 7, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #2,216 of 4,391
I have never been a huge iBasso fan..wanted to hear the Max though. I forgot to mention my favorite DAP pairing with the D9200 is the SP2000, but it really is cost prohibitive for the majority of folks.
But now you also made me curious about Shanling M8
It's in the same price class as Max...
Have you made a review paired to the Denon yet?
How would you describe detail, instrument separation and holografic stage with the Denons briefly?
Any time too demanding like I encounter sometimes in Upper Mids with the DX Max?
Edit: Holografic stage compared to DX300 because I find it good there, yet not as large as with MAX to my ears...

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #2,217 of 4,391
You can buy replacements from various places. My buddy bought a pair for less than 20 usd.

Ok, that's good! Then it's back on the list 😂

Did he say if they changed the sound from stock, or where he got them? I recall reading that some found aftermarket dekoni pads changed the skins for the worse. (Unless it was someone just splitting hairs)

I think it would be pretty nice if big manufacturers like Denon got rid of the giant fancy box and did something like the Shure 1540's or some of the beyers and stick an extra set of pads in there.

Feb 7, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #2,218 of 4,391
Ok, that's good! Then it's back on the list 😂

Did he say if they changed the sound from stock, or where he got them? I recall reading that some found aftermarket dekoni pads changed the skins for the worse. (Unless it was someone just splitting hairs)

I think it would be pretty nice if big manufacturers like Denon got rid of the giant fancy box and did something like the Shure 1540's or some of the beyers and stick an extra set of pads in there.
Soundwise similar to stock. Earlier on the thread theres a few posts where.

Feb 8, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #2,220 of 4,391
that’s so interesting - wow. The price in Australia might be due to the fact that it was never actually sold here. Mine is going to be a special order directly from denon through the local distributor.
Custom order + shipping + customs might be the reason it’s 2800. Kind of cool that I would have one of the few 9200s in Australia though!

also, the Z1R was actually 1600 AUD at one point in Aus a year or two ago. It’s relatively affordable in Australia. It was such a comfortable and well built headphone (though I didn’t like the plastic on the cup frames - they creaked a bit) but I found the mids too recessed for my liking. It felt like the vocals were so far back that I’d have to turn up the volume to hear them.
Where from? Am in Australia and interested in these but no store sells outside of used pairs on eBay from Japan. Was going to settle for the Radiance or Z1R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back