Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Dec 20, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #1,966 of 4,398
If getting new pads for the D9200 would you get stock pads or Stax SR007 pads if they're about the same price?
I have not shoehorned the SR-007 pads onto the AH-D9200 before, so I couldn't possibly tell if they'd fit, or if they even sound good together. Hence, to answer your question, I'll definitely stick with the stock pads. As it is, they sound great, and I'm very pleased with the default unit. The replacement pads are very expensive, however.

Dec 20, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #1,967 of 4,398
I think this post is really spot on. The D9200 is an excellent sounding headphone but is a closed back one and people who likes or only listen to open back headphones take all the hype with reserve And take note this is just a closed back headphone (one of the very best) so there are some areas of SQ where it can’t compete against “just good” open back ones.
I agree; open-back headphones do certain things better, but closed cans have their advantages, too. Of all of the high-end headphones north of $1,000 that I've tried, the AH-D9200 has one of the best combinations of quality, quantity, texture and slam that I've heard. As a (huge) basshead, its inherent strengths in this one department, in tandem with the rest of its sound profile, are enough to push it into the upper echelons of my "Favorites" list. :)

Dec 20, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #1,969 of 4,398
The Soloist 3XP tends to pickup noise on very sensitive headphones on medium and high gain, so does it on my D9200, Elegia and E-MU Teak. If you can use low gain and perceive loud enough listening volume, I would go with low gain on your D9200. I have volume set around 80 on low gain with the mentioned headphones and still got enough headroom left. This is the only real downside of the Soloist 3XP so far.
[/CITAZIONE]

Thanks, I'll try these settings

Dec 21, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #1,972 of 4,398
Dec 21, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #1,973 of 4,398
https://crinacle.com/2020/12/19/apple-airpods-max-review-the-audiophiles-perspective/

If you believe in the tests by Crinacle, then the Apple AirPods Max beats the D9200.
Apple AirPods Max: GRADE: B-
D9200: Grade: C

How ridiculous is that?
Well, the 2 HD 800 headphones (original + 'S' revision) are ranked with an "A" in Crinacle's list. If I ranked headphones using the same scale, they'd be closer to a "C" on mine; the AH-D9200, on the other hand, is easily an "S".

Different strokes for different folks, horses for courses, and all that. :)

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #1,975 of 4,398
Dec 21, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #1,976 of 4,398
I am reminded of the old notion that, according to the laws of physics and aerodynamics, a bee cannot fly...

Dec 22, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #1,977 of 4,398
Razer Kraken Kitty is the S- tier of my heart.

Dec 22, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #1,978 of 4,398
What I like about the community in this thread is that they do not feel the need to go out there and bash others.
As audiophiles we respect each other's preference.
Once you reach a certain level of maturity with your gear you are immune to these pointless crusades.
For example : Film vs Digital, Nikon vs Canon, Intel vs AMD, iOS vs Android and of course forum hero headphones vs the rest.
If someone here can afford gear more expensive than I can, you will not see me jump on them to prove that what I have is better.
People have different budgets and different social status. I see forum members with 10-15k EUR worth of cans here.
I won't be calling their taste crap. I will contribute what I enjoy on my gear and people can make their own opinion.
A few weeks ago, a forum member contacted me regarding my Topping Stack. I gave him both the pros and the cons.
He was impressed by how well the stack measures and I told him that measurement is not everything.

Personally, the rating on the Apple product does not affect me.
I still love my Denon and this will not change even if people disagree with my opinion on the product.
I purchased these for my personal enjoyment and I do not have any buyer's remorse or regrets.

We live in a world where controversy gets clicks and money.
Some publisher reviews aim to cause a ruckus in order for people to get triggered.
The truth and honest opinion does not generate ad revenue.

Denon does not get the publicity they deserve but some of the blame lies with them as well.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 4:33 AM Post #1,979 of 4,398
What I like about the community in this thread is that they do not feel the need to go out there and bash others.
As audiophiles we respect each other's preference.
Once you reach a certain level of maturity with your gear you are immune to these pointless crusades.
For example : Film vs Digital, Nikon vs Canon, Intel vs AMD, iOS vs Android and of course forum hero headphones vs the rest.
If someone here can afford gear more expensive than I can, you will not see me jump on them to prove that what I have is better.
People have different budgets and different social status. I see forum members with 10-15k EUR worth of cans here.
I won't be calling their taste ***. I will contribute what I enjoy on my gear and people can make their own opinion.
A few weeks ago, a forum member contacted me regarding my Topping Stack. I gave him both the pros and the cons.
He was impressed by how well the stack measures and I told him that measurement is not everything.

Personally, the rating on the Apple product does not affect me.
I still love my Denon and this will not change even if people disagree with my opinion on the product.
I purchased these for my personal enjoyment and I do not have any buyer's remorse or regrets.

We live in a world where controversy gets clicks and money.
Some publisher reviews aim to cause a ruckus in order for people to get triggered.
The truth and honest opinion does not generate ad revenue.

Denon does not get the publicity they deserve but some of the blame lies with them as well.
Focal is over priced and dont sounds great.

Dec 22, 2020 at 5:02 AM Post #1,980 of 4,398
Again, as a reviewer, or more importantly as a person with a subjective opinion, always realize there is no such thing as an expert in hearing audiophile gear. Each person is an expert of their own subjective opinion, nothing more, nothing less. I can vehemently disagree with the way someone arrived at their opinion, ie. quick listens in headphone shops or noisy CanJam floors, but I can't argue with what someone says they hear. The same, no one can tell me or you what we hear, because there are too many factors that come into play.
Take it for what it is, one person's opinion, mine or anyone's hold no more or less weight.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back