Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Oct 12, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #1,606 of 4,412
At least we got better measurments from Crin to prove my point that the treble isn't bright as people say. There is a peak at 5k, and most energy is as under 5k.

I had arguments with you know who that showed me his measurements from unstandardized equipment tell me 9200 has greater treble than HD800?!

Just sayin... because I was saying there was no strong treble. But, like a lot of closed-backs, the response isn't the pretty Harman type. Lol
As I'm somewhat treble-shy, the Denon is a relatively bright headphone. However, it's certainly not sibilant or harsh; rather, it has an excellent treble section, definitely one of the best that I've heard in the closed-back sphere. It is equal parts detailed and clear.

Oct 12, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #1,609 of 4,412
Not sure what measurement rig is being used so I'll ignore 1kHz+, but it seems like they're using a Diffuse Field compensation so I'll use that as well (and keeping the colour coordination the same):

graph (71).png

I speculate that they didn't get a proper seal on the D9200, which is why there's less bass compared to the D7200 on their rig.
Here are the measurements of oratory1990 whre you can see the different bass levels:
oratory1990 D7200-vs.-D9200.jpg

Oct 13, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #1,612 of 4,412
Do you choose headphones in the store based on graphs or using your own ears? I never understood the meaning of these dimensions. The D9200 is for me the finish line for closed headphones.
It is not about a purchase decision. (This is already done). Measurements are the basis for equalizing. And the current question for me is why the measurements from one of the web-blogs with best reputations are different then what others measured. Maybe it's the measurement equipment. It would help to understand.

Oct 13, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #1,613 of 4,412
I have been around the block for a while and being born with relatives being opera singers I had no choice but to be around all types of music.
My father was in a rock band as well so when it came to music equipment I got to know this side too.
In the early 90s, our home equipment included a very nice pair of JBL Speakers (TLX -161), an AKAI AMP, Sony Double Deck, AKAI CD-Player and AKAI 10 band stereo EQ.
Yeah I grew up using EQs and adjusting the sound and moving away from the PA flatness many promote.

Many years ago, I came on headfi and stated that an EQ is a nifty tool and nobody should be blamed for using it. It sometimes helps with sound and the old adage' it is not the way the engineer intended' lead to my crucifixion.

Members here set fire to my cross, I made a point and stated that many people do not have adequate hearing to discern nuances in music. This is something you are born with or not but this group of people pointed out that measurements do not lie. While I did not disagree, I stated that measurements do not paint the full picture. Something can measure well and not be to someone's liking. Hearing this, they threw the match and I left headfi. There was no place for heretics who were not fans of the popular gospel and who claimed that a flat sound is not what everyone should be listening too.

A few years ago, I decided to make a solid investment in my audio set-up. I went to one of the biggest shops in Paris and spend 4 hours finding the gear I wanted. As an open minded person, I looked at the fan favorites when it came to amplifiers : Cambridge Audio, NAIM, ParaSound, etc. When I connected the CA unit, I was shocked and not in a good way. It sounded flat like a Public Announcement system and for the price I did not want this. The product was solid, the quality sublime, the measurements incredible but failed my ear test. After countless combinations and hours of listening, I settled for what you see in my signature and my cables were 1300 EUR.

Bottom line, the audiophile community is set in certain ways and we cannot change it. I saw the website where the Denon headphones are rated and I am having a deja vu. People are unhappy with the Denon sound signature for some reason and to justify their displeasure or inability to hear the nuances they use a lingo you need a dictionary to understand.

When I purchased my NAD hybrid DAC, I paid around 2000 EUR on it. I hooked up the 9200 and the sound I hear does not reflect the verdict on this list. I recall when I was promoting the D2000 as one of the best bass cans out there 10 years ago people laughed. We look now at lists of headphones with amazing bass and you see it there.

Each to his own but I will not lose any sleep because someone ranked the 9200 on the same level with a noise cancelling headphone from Bose. I know what I hear and combined with the sound I love in head hones for me and for those who can enjoy this sound , there is no better headphone for the price.

Oct 13, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #1,614 of 4,412
Measurements appear to be across the board from many folks that do them. It is very important to realize that measurements dont predict what you will hear. They do not encompass, tone, timbre or most importantly emotion or soul. I never use measurements in my reviews, although I understand if folks want them, find another reviewer that cares about science of sound. Measurements should be a guideline to say, wow, this appears as if it is bright or bassy. Let your ears be your guide to tell you what sounds good to you. It really comes down to a signature that checks your boxes. Also, I feel it is important to give the gear ample time, and then some. Quick impressions, very rarely tell the whole story.

Oct 13, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #1,615 of 4,412
I have been around the block for a while and being born with relatives being opera singers I had no choice but to be around all types of music.
My father was in a rock band as well so when it came to music equipment I got to know this side too.
In the early 90s, our home equipment included a very nice pair of JBL Speakers (TLX -161), an AKAI AMP, Sony Double Deck, AKAI CD-Player and AKAI 10 band stereo EQ.
Yeah I grew up using EQs and adjusting the sound and moving away from the PA flatness many promote.

Many years ago, I came on headfi and stated that an EQ is a nifty tool and nobody should be blamed for using it. It sometimes helps with sound and the old adage' it is not the way the engineer intended' lead to my crucifixion.

Members here set fire to my cross, I made a point and stated that many people do not have adequate hearing to discern nuances in music. This is something you are born with or not but this group of people pointed out that measurements do not lie. While I did not disagree, I stated that measurements do not paint the full picture. Something can measure well and not be to someone's liking. Hearing this, they threw the match and I left headfi. There was no place for heretics who were not fans of the popular gospel and who claimed that a flat sound is not what everyone should be listening too.

A few years ago, I decided to make a solid investment in my audio set-up. I went to one of the biggest shops in Paris and spend 4 hours finding the gear I wanted. As an open minded person, I looked at the fan favorites when it came to amplifiers : Cambridge Audio, NAIM, ParaSound, etc. When I connected the CA unit, I was shocked and not in a good way. It sounded flat like a Public Announcement system and for the price I did not want this. The product was solid, the quality sublime, the measurements incredible but failed my ear test. After countless combinations and hours of listening, I settled for what you see in my signature and my cables were 1300 EUR.

Bottom line, the audiophile community is set in certain ways and we cannot change it. I saw the website where the Denon headphones are rated and I am having a deja vu. People are unhappy with the Denon sound signature for some reason and to justify their displeasure or inability to hear the nuances they use a lingo you need a dictionary to understand.

When I purchased my NAD hybrid DAC, I paid around 2000 EUR on it. I hooked up the 9200 and the sound I hear does not reflect the verdict on this list. I recall when I was promoting the D2000 as one of the best bass cans out there 10 years ago people laughed. We look now at lists of headphones with amazing bass and you see it there.

Each to his own but I will not lose any sleep because someone ranked the 9200 on the same level with a noise cancelling headphone from Bose. I know what I hear and combined with the sound I love in head hones for me and for those who can enjoy this sound , there is no better headphone for the price.
The thing that called my attention was that I can understand that, for example, Sony Z1R are at the bottom of that list (I didn't heard them, but for the comments about them in the forum, they aren't neutral or balanced), but for the comments in this thread all of you noticed the AH-D9200 to be balanced.

Oct 13, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #1,616 of 4,412
To chime in on the whole graph VS listening debate, I've always used them as a tool to obtain a rough approximation of a headphone's signature - for example, if it is heavy in the bass; if the mids are recessed; if it is a bright headphone. These graphs would provide about half of the data required to assess the inherent worth of a particular IEM or headphone.

The remaining percentage points are derived from actual listening time. Typically, my auditions will correspond very well with the general picture painted by the corresponding graphs; the signatures usually match, and variances are kept to a low minimum. Nevertheless, through these listening sessions, my understanding of a headphone's true capabilities will be better formulated; I can better appreciate a headphone's ability to render texture, timbre, musicality, et al. With extended sessions, an (almost) thorough evaluation can be subsequently compiled and completed.

Oct 13, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #1,617 of 4,412
When i compare LG G8 + Denon AH-D9200 to my desktop rig i really wonder how i could justify keeping the desktop rig... I think too much placebo and hype takes and took place there. In the end Denon + smartphone is more than enough. Maybe i sell my complete rig except for the Denon and one pair of IEMs.

Oct 14, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #1,619 of 4,412
When i compare LG G8 + Denon AH-D9200 to my desktop rig i really wonder how i could justify keeping the desktop rig... I think too much placebo and hype takes and took place there. In the end Denon + smartphone is more than enough. Maybe i sell my complete rig except for the Denon and one pair of IEMs.
That's what I did, sold all iems, kept one, and D9200 and might get an open-back later on to complete the cycle.

Oct 14, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #1,620 of 4,412

Users who are viewing this thread

Back