Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Jan 13, 2020 at 3:37 AM Post #901 of 4,391
The biggest problem with the d9200 at this point is they sound too good. I tried to go back the the d7000 and it sounded too thick. Damn you denon. Stop giving me so much quality! Now these phones sound normal and everything else sucks. Either the phones broke in or my gear broke in or my brain broke in or a combo of above. Or maybe the parts of my ears that hear brightness were finally destroyed and I'm now immune to it. I did notice that my extension cable had popped out a tiny bit so I pushed the plug all the way back in. For whatever reason I'm now totally happy with my sound.

Lol... I was thinking about it this morning during my commute... now I'm used to this being the absolute normal, awesome way music should sound... and come the summer I won't be able to use them out and about, so I'll have to change commute habits (and quality)... damn it!

Jan 13, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #902 of 4,391
how do your denons compare to your oppo? i use pm1.

Jan 13, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #903 of 4,391
Lol... I was thinking about it this morning during my commute... now I'm used to this being the absolute normal, awesome way music should sound... and come the summer I won't be able to use them out and about, so I'll have to change commute habits (and quality)... damn it!
Why not ? Ihave been using headphones during the Summer , 3 hrs on the go , even when its 37c.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #904 of 4,391
Why not ? Ihave been using headphones during the Summer , 3 hrs in the go , even when its 37c.

Tried before, but between the heat and the humidity, Roman weather will allow till April, tops... Then it’s sweat and swear... not the best.
Then it’s back to iem’s...

Jan 13, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #905 of 4,391
when someone says:

hate this boost treble
from 7 khz onwards

how exactly do they know or visualise a difference in sound from such a specific numerical value. are they just looking at graphs or is it something else??

Some of us are very familiar with what different frequencies sound like. I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, it is because I am an experienced sound engineer and I adjust frequencies all day, have worked hard at procuring relatively accurate monitoring, done my own testing, and referenced accurate frequency response graphs over many years.

Jan 25, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #907 of 4,391
no one out there? no activity here for a while now.

Jan 26, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #908 of 4,391
Well, I got something!

I got a balanced hybrid UPOCC Cryo 7N wire silver- copper from Forza audio works (one of the best options in Europe) to use with my spkm, since I use the 9200's to commute.

My hunch was right: so much more openness and clarity... the soundstage! Great precision and a much improved sound in general.
No harshness in the highs (some people's fear) and controlled present bass.

Definitely two, three steps up! Highly recommended, get a hybrid!!! and balanced if you have the gear...

Next step in a few months, silver!

Jan 26, 2020 at 6:25 AM Post #909 of 4,391
I'm curious what sort of music you guys are listening to with your D9200's? It would be interesting to see if that has something to do with the differing experience in terms of bass quantity/perception and overall presentation? Some genres may be more prone to provoke certain 'issues' in a headphone, than others.

And I wanted to answer this one, but differently...

Strictly by the difference of using the 9200's as opposed to other equipment, I have come to completely reevaluate and/or enjoy at another level
(in no particular order):

- World of Brazil, Lee Ritenour & others: many instruments and voices here, yet musicality and separation are nothing short of amazing in this great album. A joy to listen to, just wish I could find it at a higher res.

- Por el Mar, Josete Ordonez: for fusion spanish guitar lovers, the mastering in this album is stupendous.

- Que Bom, Stefano Bollani: one of the most refined recording works you can hear IMO. The music is beautiful and Bollani and his guests are of course first level, but the care and quality with which this album was recorded and mastered, really is jazz bliss (with brazilian flavor!).

- Moving Pictures, Rush. One of my favorite classics, where three musical monsters go at it no holds barred, but now I can SEE position and height of every little damn thing Neil Pert was banging in his drumming greatness. Yes!!

Of course there are more, but just to start...

Jan 26, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #911 of 4,391
Hello there, i have ordered my Pair yesterday. Thanks a lot for this informational Thread. Will Post some updates when the burn in phase has been through

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #912 of 4,391
how do your denons compare to your oppo? i use pm1.

According to the frequency response, they are very similar. Just your oppo is planar technology.

Both could probably benefit of EQing to reduce the 8k treble area.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #913 of 4,391
May I ask, where else in Europe have you tried for cables then as FW don't do a silver cable. Thanks

Tried looking in many places, bought FW also here in Italy.
FW is the best I've tried so far (non bank breaker).
For the silver though, when it happens I'm thinking Silver Dragon, just to avoid risks and paying too much!

Jan 27, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #914 of 4,391
Well, I got something!

I got a balanced hybrid UPOCC Cryo 7N wire silver- copper from Forza audio works (one of the best options in Europe) to use with my spkm, since I use the 9200's to commute.

My hunch was right: so much more openness and clarity... the soundstage! Great precision and a much improved sound in general.
No harshness in the highs (some people's fear) and controlled present bass.

Definitely two, three steps up! Highly recommended, get a hybrid!!! and balanced if you have the gear...

Next step in a few months, silver!
Does this Forza cable have microphonics? (mechanical noise transfer from touching when wearing the headphone to the cups) . As this is a big issue with the standard long cable. The short cable has a bad connection between the smal 3.5mm plug and the adapter. I even get channel imbalance.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #915 of 4,391
Does this Forza cable have microphonics? (mechanical noise transfer from touching when wearing the headphone to the cups) . As this is a big issue with the standard long cable. The short cable has a bad connection between the smal 3.5mm plug and the adapter. I even get channel imbalance.

Well, let me show you the picture: I'm out in my winter clothes, with the cable protruding from my jacket's pocket, and I usually stick the splitter (big and heavy) in my scarf.
But even when I let it loose, no microphonics that I can recall. I do it to release the weight of the cable from my head.
It is a bit heavy-sturdy, but much less in the way than I would have thought.
My only issue is the care I have to put into not soliciting too much the 2.5 pin, but that's an AK matter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back