Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Aug 22, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #421 of 4,398
I would have to add that my earpad-modded and 3.5mm detachable AH-D7000 with Norne Silvergarde sounds phenomenal, more so than the AH-D9200 + Kimble B20BL1 which I own as well. Bass on the 7000s are so high definition, full of breadth and abundant. Female vocals (Hope Sandoval Warm Inventions) drowns you and not as thin and V shaped on the 9200.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #422 of 4,398
Hi everyone,

Wanted to know if getting the new Denon 9200 or the previous model 7200 is going to matter a lot in sound quality if i'm getting them to home use - connected to home theater high end received (=Denon X8500H) and not a dedicated amp. Going to use them mainly for Gaming and Movies from a PC connected via HDMI to the receiver and i do not want to invest so much in additional amp.

Aug 26, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #423 of 4,398
Hi everyone,

Wanted to know if getting the new Denon 9200 or the previous model 7200 is going to matter a lot in sound quality if i'm getting them to home use - connected to home theater high end received (=Denon X8500H) and not a dedicated amp. Going to use them mainly for Gaming and Movies from a PC connected via HDMI to the receiver and i do not want to invest so much in additional amp.
7200 lacks too end treble.

Aug 26, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #425 of 4,398
And the home theater receiver should drive the 9200 good enough ?
Very easy to drive , well both are easy to drive.

Aug 26, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #427 of 4,398
I currently have a Denon D7000 and a Lawton modded Fostex TH900. I prefer the D7000 most of the time. So I'm thinking I should go for the D7200 over the D9200...?
No, the 7200 is very energetic, but also colored from mids down, and trebles are subdued.

I've tried a truckload of closed-backs including Stellia, AEON Flow, LCD-XC, HD820, TH900mk2, Edition 8 EX, and of course the Z1R... In the end, the D9200 came out as the winner
Exactly...
The 9200 is WAY underrated in its level of sound quality and resolving nature.
IMO, order of resolution of those mentioned earlier:
Utopia ~ 9200 ~ Z1R
Stellia
LCD XC
Aeon Flow
TH900mk2
HD820
Denon7200
Edition8ex
THX00
This "percieved" order of "resolve"does not correlate with the order of musicality that some deliver more than others. So preference will vary.
**Also of note is that they are all at a great level of sound and satisfying choices.

I would have to add that my earpad-modded and 3.5mm detachable AH-D7000 with Norne Silvergarde sounds phenomenal, more so than the AH-D9200 + Kimble B20BL1 which I own as well. Bass on the 7000s are so high definition, full of breadth and abundant. Female vocals (Hope Sandoval Warm Inventions) drowns you and not as thin and V shaped on the 9200.
You have to also take into account that if you like the traditional Denon sound, then your more a bass lover, as they have rich and excessively done bass and alot energy, but sadly they are not as resolving as an 9200.

The 7000s are at level of a TH900, and IMO, none of them are at the resolve level of the 9200.
So your impression of the 9200 as V" shaped, may be because you're used to either a "U" or a "bass" elevated type sound.
Nevertheless, I am not discounting the addictive musical nature of the classic 7000s, and treble energy done right can sound very "resolving".

Wanted to know if getting the new Denon 9200 or the previous model 7200 is going to matter a lot in sound quality if i'm getting them to home use -
They both sensitive enough but the 9200 more so and the 7200 is very different sound, more thick lower mids and subdued top end.

7200 lacks too end treble.
Exactly. Its about a 3db drop across the board from upper mids to trebles.

If you can afford to save up, skip all and get the 9200 which is at a top level resolve and not sterile but musical sound.

I am not available for mods at this time of year, but I am the only one who can change the 7200 FR at will and boost trebles without killing the bass.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #428 of 4,398
Hi everyone, I just bought the D9200 and after a 24-hour break-in I plugged it in my Yulong DA10, and to my utter disappointment I found it so underwhelming. The sound was quite feeble and at the same time harsh. If I turned up volume a bit, the sound became fuller but the treble harshness was becoming unbearable. In comparison to the D9200, my CA Solaris is a real beast, everything sounds way more powerful, punchy, clear and dimensional with the guitars being almost tangible! I'm blaming the amp (which is also new) to be honest, but I haven't tried balanced connection yet, although I'm not putting a lot of hope into that. Neither have I tried the D9200 with my DX208 as I don't have a balanced cable. What do you guys think about it? I'm starting to think that the full-size HP era is coming to end (if haven't already). Thanks!

Aug 29, 2019 at 1:49 AM Post #429 of 4,398
Hi everyone, I just bought the D9200 and after a 24-hour break-in I plugged it in my Yulong DA10, and to my utter disappointment I found it so underwhelming. The sound was quite feeble and at the same time harsh. If I turned up volume a bit, the sound became fuller but the treble harshness was becoming unbearable. In comparison to the D9200, my CA Solaris is a real beast, everything sounds way more powerful, punchy, clear and dimensional with the guitars being almost tangible! I'm blaming the amp (which is also new) to be honest, but I haven't tried balanced connection yet, although I'm not putting a lot of hope into that. Neither have I tried the D9200 with my DX208 as I don't have a balanced cable. What do you guys think about it? I'm starting to think that the full-size HP era is coming to end (if haven't already). Thanks!
Seems you are learning but the Solaris is way overrated. The 9200 can easily be run single ended on the dx220.

Aug 29, 2019 at 2:20 AM Post #430 of 4,398
Hi everyone, I just bought the D9200 and after a 24-hour break-in...

...I realised that to form an honest opinion would take much longer.

That is how I would have ended that sentence. Trust someone who has owned the Denon AH-D5000 since 2007 and AH-D7200 for the past few years, if your experience is anything like mine you will find the first few days filled with buyers remorse--in mv case, a sick feeling from my stomach I attributed to an underwhelming sound and an empty wallet. But just give it a week. I've only just replaced my D7200 (which landed for about A$1,300 ) with the Meze Empyrean (which cost about A$4,300) because I combined those cans with ifi's Pro iDSD DAC and Pro iCAN stereo pre-amp/headphone amp (which cost over 7k, including cables and its stand etc). Matching headphones and the music source/conversion/amplification is important and the Denon's certainly 'scaled-up' as I added along the chain. But without that ifi setup I would not have thought twice about wanting to find something next-level. Your D9200 will sound much better next week.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #431 of 4,398

Basing on my experience with 7200, you should give them 100-150 (preferably) hours of burn in. Just leave them playing 24/7 for a week and you'll see (hear :))

Aug 29, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #433 of 4,398
Curious about this too. Not finding any deals or discounts on these. They've been out close to a year. That's surprising.
I keep waiting for the price to drop a little bit as well. I owned the D7100's and the D7200's but they both lacked treble extension and excitement to my ears. The D9200's from what I've read so far seems to resolve that issue.

Aug 30, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #435 of 4,398
Been looking at these and audeze lcd-xc or 2c closed.
I had both of those and sold them. The 2C's are good. They have less of that upper mid/lower treble dip than the XC's have. I would've kept the XC's if I could've gotten pass that whole in the sound. The XC's beat the 2C's in detail retrieval, imaging and clarity. The D7200's don't have that planar bass. The bass is much more linear and reference sounding will still digging deep. If the treble is better on the D9200's I would go that route. The Denon's are more balanced sounding to my ears. I'm not sure what sound signature you're looking for but there are some good options out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back