Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Nov 22, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #676 of 4,427

They really are 2 different signatures. None of them have a small soundstage for a closed back and none of them sound "closed in". Don't let the size of the soundstage be a defining factor.

I think the key differences have been described in the above posts and past pages.

Get the D9200 :)
Best review ever , to the point and the reviewer sticking his neck out for the readers.

Nov 22, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #677 of 4,427
fantastic stuff thanks stenog. the denon is larger than i thought when viewed next to the sony.

Nov 22, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #678 of 4,427
Best review ever , to the point and the reviewer sticking his neck out for the readers.

I don't do review :)

I read and saw a few reviews of the D9200 before I bought it, I listened to it before I bought it and even then it surprised me when the honeymoon was over. To me the D9200 is a bit too bright(some will call it reference) to be my 100 % preferred signature and therefore for me can and will be fatigued with longer listening sessions. But I nevertheless hear the qualities it has and don't have any plans to sell it.

Trust your own ears and nothing else!

Nov 22, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #679 of 4,427
I don't do review :)

I read and saw a few reviews of the D9200 before I bought it, I listened to it before I bought it and even then it surprised me when the honeymoon was over. To me the D9200 is a bit too bright(some will call it reference) to be my 100 % preferred signature and therefore for me can and will be fatigued with longer listening sessions. But I nevertheless hear the qualities it has and don't have any plans to sell it.

Trust your own ears and nothing else!
Well anyone who can write what they heard can be a reviewer. There are no classes on how to write a review. There are three kinds of reviewers. 1. Paid and cant write anything negative. 2. Doesnt get paid in money , but if they write good reviews they get free products or get a hold of products before others can get it. 3. Consumers/Audiophiles who buy the products and they write reviews or post their opinions.

Nov 22, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #680 of 4,427
Most reviewers get either free review sample or a product at a deep deep discount. So a lot of incentive to say great things.

Nov 22, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #681 of 4,427
the reports claiming sony has a larger soundstage is making me hesitant. anyway i have a little time before i buy.:sweat:

They really are 2 different signatures. None of them have a small soundstage for a closed back and none of them sound "closed in". Don't let the size of the soundstage be a defining factor.

I think the key differences have been described in the above posts and past pages.

Get the D9200 :)

TBH, it'll really boil down to what kind of signature you prefer...there are people in both camps

I still say the 9200 seems like the smart play and provides you with better options if you don't like what you hear :)

PS - buying this level of can should be a fun experience not a stressful one...hoping it is for you!

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #683 of 4,427
TBH, it'll really boil down to what kind of signature you prefer...there are people in both camps

I still say the 9200 seems like the smart play and provides you with better options if you don't like what you hear :)

PS - buying this level of can should be a fun experience not a stressful one...hoping it is for you!

Despite what I said about the MDR-Z1, it’s my opinion and preference. Still everyone who hear both should be able realize that the Denon 9200 has a more even balanced tonality compared to the Z1R. Oh and the Denon 9200 responses well with cable upgrade. I tried both the Black and Silver Dragon and they are both better than the stock cable.

Nov 22, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #684 of 4,427
Despite what I said about the MDR-Z1, it’s my opinion and preference. Still everyone who hear both should be able realize that the Denon 9200 has a more even balanced tonality compared to the Z1R. Oh and the Denon 9200 responses well with cable upgrade. I tried both the Black and Silver Dragon and they are both better than the stock cable.

It would seem that the reviews for both cans would support your conclusion for the majority of listeners...

That said, I know of folks that loved the HD800 and felt no need to mod it, others loved it -- once modded, still others felt it wasn't for them...same with Beyers, Grado, Audeze, etc.

As you correctly called out, sound signature preferences matter. But honestly, not everybody has the same physical hearing capabilities either (age, damage, etc.). To my way of thinking, the combination of these two factors can make relying on thread impressions a bit hit and miss unless you know after a few purchases that your own impressions align pretty well with a given "reviewer's" impressions. :beerchug:

PS - throw musical tastes into the mix and that further complicates the process!

Nov 22, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #685 of 4,427
It would seem that the reviews for both cans would support your conclusion for the majority of listeners...

That said, I know of folks that loved the HD800 and felt no need to mod it, others loved it -- once modded, still others felt it wasn't for them...same with Beyers, Grado, Audeze, etc.

As you correctly called out, sound signature preferences matter. But honestly, not everybody has the same physical hearing capabilities either (age, damage, etc.). To my way of thinking, the combination of these two factors can make relying on thread impressions a bit hit and miss unless you know after a few purchases that your own impressions align pretty well with a given "reviewer's" impressions. :beerchug:

PS - throw musical tastes into the mix and that further complicates the process!
So are you liking the Sony , or you just saying general things about headphones , hearing , mental state , upbringing , culture , hearing ability etc?

Nov 22, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #686 of 4,427

This is very true. Agreed.

Nov 22, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #687 of 4,427
So are you liking the Sony , or you just saying general things about headphones , hearing , mental state , upbringing , culture , hearing ability etc?

Actually...am in this thread to glean people's opinions about the 9200. I also subscribe to the Z1R thread for the same reasons. Expect I'll own one of these in the not too distant future.

Regarding Musickid's upcoming buying decision, was merely offering some ideas about a possible way to evaluate the information he's getting -- just my approach...based on my past experiences which will be different than yours, his, etc.

For instance, if my preferences don't align well with someone else's, I discount their opinion relative to another reviewer's that I align with more closely. Many people have strong opinions based on their preferences and voice them accordingly; which is great but these opinions often need to be balanced against others that are doing the same for the 'competing' set of cans being considered. As a sidebar, I also tend to look for reviewers that can speak to the pluses and minuses for the sets of cans they're comparing as opposed to an all-in stance on their favorite.

As I already mentioned, my approach for his buying scenario would be to buy the 9200's and then sell them down the road if they weren't 'keepers'. At that point, he could pick up some Z1R's (hopefully for a better price by then).

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #688 of 4,427
am in this thread to glean people's opinions about the 9200. I also subscribe to the Z1R thread for the same reasons
i can offer my opinion. i'm not getting tired of doing so. because i love the d9200 and i believe denon did a fantastic job in creating and a poor job in marketing these. that's why i feel the urge to speak up :)

i've had the z1r and sold them for the d9200.
before that i had the lcd-4 which i've replaced with a closed can (z1r initially) because my better half complained about the audeze's sound leakage.

the d9200 is my endgame headphone.

i've tried all current offerings of upmarket totl closed cans and the d9200 came out as my clear winner.

imo the d9200 has no noteworthy flaws and excels in pretty much every department.

earth shattering bone dry deep bass? check.
sweet mids that truly sing and give me goose bumps every time someone picks up an acoustic guitar or a cello or violin? check.
air and endless extension in the treble? check (this may be their only perceived weakness - to some their treble may be a tad too hot).
totally immersive 3d and utterly plausible holographic imaging? check.
micro dynamics that carve out every tiny detail? check.
powerful macro dynamics and snappy response to drums and percussion? check.
easy to drive? absolutely.
they scale nicely with better gear? the sky's the limit.

usually i am wary when someone is using superlatives. and i try to avoid it.

but in this case i believe it has to be made perfectly clear: i believe denon has created an almost perfect, and perhaps the best available headphone at any price point.

its appearance and price tag may not match its performance. but make no mistake. this humble little headphone is truly magnificent.

its sound signature is very balanced and neutral. if you love a warmer sound, match it with a warmer amp and cable. as i've stated before, i am very happy with the ta-zh1es through black dragon v2.

as usual, ymmv. just my opinion.

for now, my quest is over :)

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #689 of 4,427
Yes, they are very musical for sure. If not for my IER-Z1R I would have bought the Denon D9200. They really have very little faults IMO.

Nov 22, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #690 of 4,427
Anybody hear heard the kennerton magni? I am looking at returning the 7200 due to being overpowered and wrestled down. Do the 9200 have something different to counterattack and meet the magnis superfast and strong attacks and raw power?

The d7200 is trying to seduce it and get it to relax but it cant quite cope. Even though it stands on lighter feet and give its biggest supporter better endurance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back