Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Apr 15, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #3,211 of 4,391
Looking for opinions on the next step up from the AH-D9200. My only other remaining headphone (sold all others) is the Hifiman Arya. But frankly, I prefer the D9200 for most listening. It's a "calmer", more balanced headphone with great imaging and very good staging. Not as broad and open as the Ayra, but the sound profile is more mellow with better lower registers and more accurate instrument quality.

But I'm always looking for the next best thing. Is there anything that's similar to the D9200, but "better" in terms of dynamics, punch, soundstage, etc. without costing an arm and a leg? I haven't waded into the $2500+ pool yet, but if there's something out there worth trying, I'd be up for it.
I had the 9200 for about two years and loved it. In my book it is better than the Stellia, the Clears and Mdr-Z1R…then I bought the 64audio Fourte and then the Hifiman R10P and I no longer have the 9200. This shows though how good the 9200 is because both of those are twice the price of the 9200.

Apr 16, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #3,212 of 4,391
Hi everyone - I am coming out of some older and lovely ahd7000's and I'm going to buy some of these 9200's.

Can you advise me please:
1) Where I can buy some replacement ear pads, so I have some spare when I buy the 'phones
2) What cable would you recommend for a 4 pin XLR balanced connection to my Oppo HA-1 unit?

How does anyone feel these really compare to the old 7000's which I've owned since new.....many years

Thanks,

Adam.

Apr 16, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #3,213 of 4,391
2) What cable would you recommend for a 4 pin XLR balanced connection to my Oppo HA-1 unit?
The Beyerdynamic T1/T5 cables are of very high quality, reasonably priced, work with the D9200, and they offer a version terminated with XL4.
Shameless plug: I still have two spares… if you’re living within EU and you’re interested, PM me

Apr 17, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #3,215 of 4,391
Are there any pad replacements available with a more circular ear opening? Any that don't somehow destroy the sound? My ears don't seem to like this style of pad. Can't get a proper seal.

Apr 25, 2022 at 12:40 AM Post #3,216 of 4,391
Has anyone else noticed that the 9200's seem to be more sensitive to fitting, as far as "rotation"? Meaning simply in what position you have the headband. I noticed it by accident a few weeks ago. It could be the shape of the ear openings just need to be oriented "just so". For me, the Denon label on the earcups needs to be pretty much perfectly horizontal and therefore the headband goes directly over the top of my head. I'm not saying the sound falls apart completely if I don't have them just like that but there IS a noticeable difference and they just don't sound quite as good to me any other way. These are the only (relatively) high-end closed-backs I've ever had so I don't know if that's a factor or if it's solely a function of the somewhat unique ear openings.

Apr 25, 2022 at 12:43 AM Post #3,217 of 4,391
Are there any pad replacements available with a more circular ear opening? Any that don't somehow destroy the sound? My ears don't seem to like this style of pad. Can't get a proper seal.
Start going backward through this thread, I'm almost positive there's a member who's gone through several different pads and settled on one or two "best" choices.

Apr 25, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #3,220 of 4,391
I have a big problem with these headphones.

They have made my other headphones more or less redundant: Focal Clear, Ananda's, HD650, Grado Hemp.
Best thing I can suggest is to get rid of the others. I think the D9200 is a headphone one can well live with.

Apr 26, 2022 at 2:49 AM Post #3,221 of 4,391
Has anyone else noticed that the 9200's seem to be more sensitive to fitting, as far as "rotation"? Meaning simply in what position you have the headband. I noticed it by accident a few weeks ago. It could be the shape of the ear openings just need to be oriented "just so". For me, the Denon label on the earcups needs to be pretty much perfectly horizontal and therefore the headband goes directly over the top of my head. I'm not saying the sound falls apart completely if I don't have them just like that but there IS a noticeable difference and they just don't sound quite as good to me any other way. These are the only (relatively) high-end closed-backs I've ever had so I don't know if that's a factor or if it's solely a function of the somewhat unique ear openings.
Just rotate the pads a little backwards, so that the headband sits a bit more forward.
That's what I did without a change in sound perception.
It's more noticable when moving the cups more forward/ backwards as a whole ( like most DDs do )
It's not a common issue with planars, thou.
At least for me. :)

Apr 26, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #3,222 of 4,391
Just rotate the pads a little backwards, so that the headband sits a bit more forward.
That's what I did without a change in sound perception.
It's more noticable when moving the cups more forward/ backwards as a whole ( like most DDs do )
It's not a common issue with planars, thou.
At least for me. :)
Oh, it's not a problem. They're comfortable at the position they need to be, I had just never noticed the positioning being so crucial with any other 'phones before

May 12, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #3,223 of 4,391
At long last I've finally managed to afford gear worthy of the ah-d9200. During the beginning of covid when I got my hours cut I had to sell my d9200's. My entry level gear was unable to do them justice anyhow and I couldn't couldn't afford a better dac and amp at the time. I'm happy to report that the topping d90 and a90 combo pretty close to perfect from my initial listening the last 2 days. I was nervous that they wouldn't pair well and I'd have to go back to the drawing board again but they get along well. No more painfull high frequencies on certain tunes like I had with the jds atom and schiit modi (2?) I had before. I had forgotten how good these phones can sound and have been looking forward to coming home just to listen to music again. Thanks Denon :)

May 12, 2022 at 11:08 PM Post #3,224 of 4,391
Hi everyone - I am coming out of some older and lovely ahd7000's and I'm going to buy some of these 9200's.

Can you advise me please:
1) Where I can buy some replacement ear pads, so I have some spare when I buy the 'phones

How does anyone feel these really compare to the old 7000's which I've owned since new.....many years

Thanks,

Adam.
The ad-d7000 sounds more deep/full and the ah-d9200 sounds tighter/punchier/snappy with this crazy quality where the highs and mids are super distinct without being too much as long as you have the right sources. Ah-d7000 sounds pretty great overall with most music but the d9200 wins by a bit with certain music like punk rock, horns, female vocals.....I'm still figuring it out. I guess the 9200 is somewhat cleaner and precise. Hope that makes sense.

May 15, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #3,225 of 4,391
Anybody had a chance to compare the D9200 with the Kennerton Rognir Dynamic yet? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back