Denon AH-D7000
Feb 7, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #6,017 of 7,457
mine are markL modded, bought them that way.  

Feb 7, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #6,018 of 7,457
It looks like a couple popped up on ebay besides the guy selling them for 1800.
If anyone is interested.

I was wondering:

Do most of the D7K owners listen to theirs stock or MarkL'ed?

Mine are stock, I was going to change the pads but I am a little bit worried about the possibility of not liking the change. It isn't a huge mod but I would rather not have a fuss with it. I think since I am happy with them stock I am going to leave em' that way for now.

Feb 7, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #6,019 of 7,457
I was wondering:

Do most of the D7K owners listen to theirs stock or MarkL'ed?

I bought mine new and sent them to MarkL last summer.

My comment about planar headphones being surrounded by hype regards the overall similar sound signature that they share - in my experience. Rolled off treble and forward mids are "audiophile qualities" that have been praised by "enthusiasts" for years.

I grew up listening to my dads JBL speakers. I want some sparkle and punch. :D

Feb 7, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #6,021 of 7,457
I enjoy them stock
My HD600 just have an HD650 cable (bought used and came that way)

Feb 7, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #6,022 of 7,457
Quote:
I bought mine new and sent them to MarkL last summer.

My comment about planar headphones being surrounded by hype regards the overall similar sound signature that they share - in my experience. Rolled off treble and forward mids are "audiophile qualities" that have been praised by "enthusiasts" for years.

I grew up listening to my dads JBL speakers. I want some sparkle and punch.
biggrin.gif

Sparkle and Punch = HE-6
wink_face.gif

Feb 7, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #6,025 of 7,457
Hey guys,

Martin from Martin Custom Audio emailed me that he is able to replace the headband on my Denon D7000 and that "I'm working on an entire replacement assembly for Denon's.  This will ensure that all Denon D2000, D5000 and D7000's will be able to be 100% fixed if any part were to break.  Granted, they will cost probably $100-$200 per set (I'm estimating), but to fully fix a discontinued hi-end headphone with a better assembly would be pretty nice."

I'm really glad someone is able to help me get my headphones back into shape.

Feb 7, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #6,027 of 7,457
Quote:
Hey guys,

Martin from Martin Custom Audio emailed me that he is able to replace the headband on my Denon D7000 and that "I'm working on an entire replacement assembly for Denon's.  This will ensure that all Denon D2000, D5000 and D7000's will be able to be 100% fixed if any part were to break.  Granted, they will cost probably $100-$200 per set (I'm estimating), but to fully fix a discontinued hi-end headphone with a better assembly would be pretty nice."

I'm really glad someone is able to help me get my headphones back into shape.

Fostex is still using same parts for TH line as their Denons, wondering if spare parts can be ordered from them.

Feb 7, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #6,028 of 7,457
Quote:
It looks like a couple popped up on ebay besides the guy selling them for 1800.
If anyone is interested.

Mine are stock, I was going to change the pads but I am a little bit worried about the possibility of not liking the change. It isn't a huge mod but I would rather not have a fuss with it. I think since I am happy with them stock I am going to leave em' that way for now.

Agree with you 1,000,000%. I would say that in my experience, a majority of audiophiles prefer big mids with rolled off highs and flat bass (flat with the mids). Anything with slightly boosted bass (just 1-2db) is considered a "bass monster," and anything in the treble region that is flat or even only 2-3db off the mids, is considered too bright and forward. Due to my musical preference, my taste is the opposite. Humans generally perceive highs and mids as louder than bass. To me, for a headphone or speaker to be closer to neutral, bass should be slightly elevated (not more than 2db though) above the mids. Treble should be slightly rolled off because any distortion in that region is magnified: at 1KHz, it should be flat with the mids, while 2-3KHz should be no more than -5db from the mids.

In stock form, the 7000's 2Khz response is too tame for my liking (more than -5db from bass and mids). I have heavily stuffed/angled pads and open-back (not anything from Lawton), which keeps 1-2KHz virtually flat with the mids. 

I find the stock 7000 too boomy, not too bassy, just not tight enough. With the open-back, 35Hz and below are pretty much gone (a shame!), but this acceptable with me since I listen mostly to rock. 40-100Hz is so much tighter that the 7000 becomes a different headphone. Mids are also not quite as recessed and are on level with the rest of the response curve up to 2.5KHz. Overall, aside from slightly increased sibilance at 2KHz, an open 7000 is almost tonally perfect. Cans like the LCD-2 and the OMEGA 2 are far too colored for my liking. All of the details are there but are too muted. I need the shimmer and crispness of cymbals and percussive instruments. For rock, I've never be satisfied with any planar or electrostatic headphone. In the speaker world, I'm deeply impressed with the Eminent Technology planars though because of their subwoofer bass.

Feb 7, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #6,029 of 7,457
Agree with you 1,000,000%. I would say that in my experience, a majority of audiophiles prefer big mids with rolled off highs and flat bass (flat with the mids). Anything with slightly boosted bass (just 1-2db) is considered a "bass monster," and anything in the treble region that is flat or even only 2-3db off the mids, is considered too bright and forward. Due to my musical preference, my taste is the opposite. Humans generally perceive highs and mids as louder than bass. To me, for a headphone or speaker to be closer to neutral, bass should be slightly elevated (not more than 2db though) above the mids. Treble should be slightly rolled off because any distortion in that region is magnified: at 1KHz, it should be flat with the mids, while 2-3KHz should be no more than -5db from the mids.

In stock form, the 7000's 2Khz response is too tame for my liking (more than -5db from bass and mids). I have heavily stuffed/angled pads and open-back (not anything from Lawton), which keeps 1-2KHz virtually flat with the mids. 

I find the stock 7000 too boomy, not too bassy, just not tight enough. With the open-back, 35Hz and below are pretty much gone (a shame!), but this acceptable with me since I listen mostly to rock. 40-100Hz is so much tighter that the 7000 becomes a different headphone. Mids are also not quite as recessed and are on level with the rest of the response curve up to 2.5KHz. Overall, aside from slightly increased sibilance at 2KHz, an open 7000 is almost tonally perfect. Cans like the LCD-2 and the OMEGA 2 are far too colored for my liking. All of the details are there but are too muted. I need the shimmer and crispness of cymbals and percussive instruments. For rock, I've never be satisfied with any planar or electrostatic headphone. In the speaker world, I'm deeply impressed with the Eminent Technology planars though because of their subwoofer bass.

I agree the D7000 in stock form has less than ideal low frequency performance. Its too loose and boomy. The MarkL internal dampening tightened up the bass nicely.

Regarding high frequency performance, gentle percussion sounds (cymbal taps, rim shots, wire snare brushes, etc.) are my litmus test for treble performance. The LCD-2 and HD 650 both fail this test in my book. The D7000 can be a little bright at times, but never sibilant.

And i have still never heard the HE-6 - much to my chagrin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back