Denon AH-D7000
Feb 6, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #5,986 of 7,464
My pix is up next...and I won't be joking, baby! 
evil_smiley.gif
 Gotta be able to fund dem HE-cans.

Feb 6, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #5,987 of 7,464
Quote:

To be honest the D7000s don't sound that good at all, It's all hyperbole

I've been saying this since day one for three years now and very few people still get it.

I can understand them sounding pretty good if your overall headphone experience is earbuds and maybe a ~$150 headphone, but once you've tried the majority of the mid to high tier offerings you quickly realize that these headphones are garbage when it comes to replicating instrumental tone and accuracy.  Personally I don't venture in to the high tier headphones looking to spend four figures on a "fun" headphone.  In terms of headphones, "fun" quickly becomes boring with experience.

Even at the $550-600 range I purchased these at when they were first released I consider them extremely overpriced.  Now with the price rising it's just absurd.  Anyone that would spend $900-1000 on a D7000 instead of an LCD-2 needs to have their hearing checked immediately.

Feb 6, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #5,988 of 7,464
Are you really trying to put your opinion over as fact?  Every one has their own preference as do you.  If someone like the D7000 they have a right to.  To me IMO the LCD-2s are not that far ahead.  I think the D7000 is a really nice headphone on the right amp and paired with the right music.

Feb 6, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #5,989 of 7,464
Quote:

I've been saying this since day one for three years now and very few people still get it.

I can understand them sounding pretty good if your overall headphone experience is earbuds and maybe a ~$150 headphone, but once you've tried the majority of the mid to high tier offerings you quickly realize that these headphones are garbage when it comes to replicating instrumental tone and accuracy.  Personally I don't venture in to the high tier headphones looking to spend four figures on a "fun" headphone.  In terms of headphones, "fun" quickly becomes boring with experience.

Even at the $550-600 range I purchased these at when they were first released I consider them extremely overpriced.  Now with the price rising it's just absurd.  Anyone that would spend $900-1000 on a D7000 instead of an LCD-2 needs to have their hearing checked immediately.

Anyone that prefers the LCD-2 to the D7000 needs to get their neck muscles checked! 

Seriously though, the D7000 is a technically capable headphone. If you ever get a chance to hear a modded pair you'll understand. 

Feb 6, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #5,990 of 7,464
Quote:

The D7000 may not be worth the MSRP at 1k, but neither are any headphones out there. It's all marketing strategy. I wouldn't spend 1k on something that is heavy, uncomfortable and requires another 1k to power properly like the LCD-2. My D7000 sounds good out of any source. It's all preferences.

Also I don't think there is another headphone with bass that punches as hard as the unmodded D7000, except maybe the TH900 which is just a better D7000. For a flagship all rounder the D7000 is still hard to beat.

Feb 6, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #5,991 of 7,464
Quote:

I agree with subtle, they sound quite good for "closed phones" but pale against LCD-2 or even HD-650. And my deepest respect to anyone who can enjoy them in stock form.

Understand that this is D7K thread but it's not light years apart from D5K which to my ears were inferior even to Sony MDR-1R before I modded them.

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #5,993 of 7,464
"It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)"
                                       - Duke Ellington 

I read subtle's not so subtle indictment of the D7000. And the signatures attached to the bottom of it. I also own the cans and have experience with the other cans  mentioned and the tier group in which they belong. 

While my own preferences differ from this group (widely), no need for us to play 
rolleyes.gif
 the dozens. We respect that, emotionally...you're different cats.

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #5,994 of 7,464
I have tried to like the LCD-2's but I just think they are very over rated. They are no more "flat" or "accurate" than the D7000, but they are definitely less "fun" to my ears.

I believe that a few years from now, headphone enthusiasts are going to look back on the current planar magnetic driver hype and laugh.

Feb 6, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #5,997 of 7,464
Quote:
Quote:

Anyone that prefers the LCD-2 to the D7000 needs to get their neck muscles checked! 

Seriously though, the D7000 is a technically capable headphone. If you ever get a chance to hear a modded pair you'll understand. 

I like the D7000 quite a bit, they have been my go-to can since I got them. I enjoy more technically accurate, more "respected" top-tier headphones as well (check my sig), but the D7K is fun, musical, and technically proficient. And they don't need a beast of a system to drive. For me, this adds up to maximum listening pleasure out of a smaller system. At this level there is no 'better' or 'best' headphone, it's all about personal preferences and enjoyable listening.

Quote:
"It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)"
                                       - Duke Ellington 

I read subtle's not so subtle indictment of the D7000. And the signatures attached to the bottom of it. I also own the cans and have experience with the other cans  mentioned and the tier group in which they belong. 

While my own preferences differ from this group (widely), no need for us to play 
rolleyes.gif
 the dozens. We respect that, emotionally...you're different cats.

Yeah baby, like this!
beerchug.gif

Feb 6, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #5,998 of 7,464
I wonder why the Koss ESP-950 isn't more popular. It's right in the same price range as the D7000 and LCD-2.

For me it's pretty simple, they are hideous.
Call me superficial in this regards I am ok with it.

I do not take looks into consideration all that often but when it comes to headphones, and when I am spending close to a grand I want to enjoy how they look at least.

I think the d7k's and the lcd-2s look a whole lot better, and they perform pretty well too :wink:

Feb 6, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #5,999 of 7,464
Quote:

I like the D7000 quite a bit, they have been my go-to can since I got them. I enjoy more technically accurate, more "respected" top-tier headphones as well (check my sig), but the D7K is fun, musical, and technically proficient. And they don't need a beast of a system to drive. For me, this adds up to maximum listening pleasure out of a smaller system. At this level there is no 'better' or 'best' headphone, it's all about personal preferences and enjoyable listening.

Yeah baby, like this!
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

Feb 6, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #6,000 of 7,464
[size=x-small]In stock form, the D7000 is still leagues ahead of the HD650 or other $500 headphones. Once modified, the 7000 is better in some areas and comparable in others to the mega-buck stuff out there --yes, in the league of higher end Stax and discontinued legends like the K1000, Qualia, and the R10. [/size]

[size=x-small]YMWV depending on musical taste, but even the stock D7000 is technically at least pretty good in most areas that matter to audiophiles. Listeners who prefer emphasized mids need not apply here --for the same reason that people who want punchy rock cans (like myself) would find the LCD-2 unsatisfactory.  [/size]

[size=small]As for fun and musicality, IMO, no other headphone except the K1000 is in the same ballpark as a modified 7000 because the handful that are technically superior aren't as fun or as balanced. [/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back