Denon AH-D7000
Apr 22, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #5,341 of 7,457

Quote:
Does this issue affect the D2K/D5K just as often as the D7K?

Judging by these threads, I would say, yes.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/470583/help-with-denon-ah-d2000-ear-cup-screw-left-ear-cup-falling-off
http://www.head-fi.org/t/248427/denon-ah-d5000-and-ah-d2000-screws-coming-loose

I wish Denon would be more upfront about this. It's such an easy fix once you know what you're dealing with.

Apr 22, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #5,343 of 7,457

Quote:
Well, what do you know. Minutes after posting my last post, I picked my headphones up and the thing began to come apart in my hands. Thankfully, I was expecting it after some of the posts I read here and was able to ensure there was no loss of screws, washers or the spring.

Because it came apart all on its own I was able to get the headphone back on and retained. There's no need to do anything warranty damaging like dismantling the headphone cup. In fact, there is absolutely no need to have access to the screw head at all. You can't turn the screw anyway because of the way it is locked into the headband. Pictures speak a thousand words, so I've attached a few to make things clearer to people.

All I need to do now is get some Loctite 243 to keep the nut secure and retain the cap properly. That thing is kept on purely using the adhesion of thread-lock cement and not very much of it either.

From what I can ascertain, this problem is entirely to do with the assembly line and inadequate application of the thread cement. It beggars belief that such a small thing could cause so many headaches.

Here's all the components that fell off in the order that I found them.
From left to right: The bolt. The washer. The spring. Two Washers. The Nut. The Cap. And finally, the tiny, tiny piece of old locking cement.

This is the hollow where you need to place the spring, the two washers and the nut. The cap then goes on top.

The oval washer needs to go on top of here between the gimbal and the headband.

Fully reassembled. The nut was tightened up using the tweezers from a mini swiss-army knife. Nothing else I had was small or precise enough for the job. That little knife comes in useful every single day.

+1 for this. Thanks! will be helpful in the future.

Apr 22, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #5,344 of 7,457

Quote:

nothing so far on my d5k.. but it seems to me that denon used different screw on d7k.

This could well be the case. I don't have a pair so I couldn't possibly say. I even read that someone with a pair of D2000's had a "plastic screw" that had snapped. I would put a lot of money on the lack of locking cement being the cause for all these loose screw issues though. If the 2000's have a plastic screw then I think the blame there is pretty obvious and frankly shameful on Denon's part.

Apr 22, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #5,345 of 7,457
I had my D7000s for 8 months and never had a single problem with them.  Is this just a recent issue, or has the record been spotty for a noticeable length of time?

Apr 22, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #5,346 of 7,457

Quote:
Does this issue affect the D2K/D5K just as often as the D7K?

Yes... they all have the same problem... for which Denon refuses to accept responsibility... unless... you can prove you bought them from an authorized dealer.  

Apr 22, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #5,347 of 7,457
Thank you for the information/replies; this is something I shall keep in mind for when I look to take that leap one day into the $500+ headphone territory.

Apr 22, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #5,348 of 7,457
The last few pages are making me paranoid about my D7000. I saw the area in question only was connected to the gimbal thing on one side and had a heart attack not realizing there's not supposed to be any on the other side :p

Apr 22, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #5,349 of 7,457
I don't know if any of you notice that. The newer d7ks sound different than the order one. Especially the bass is not that strong anymore, and vocal is a bit darker than the older ones.. I dont know if thats just my problem or all the new cans selling now are the same like mine

Apr 23, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #5,350 of 7,457

Quote:
The last few pages are making me paranoid about my D7000. I saw the area in question only was connected to the gimbal thing on one side and had a heart attack not realizing there's not supposed to be any on the other side :p

Do I see correctly that you have them for sale? Or is this another set?

Either way, I've had no issue with mine (mechanically or sonically), and I've had them for a very long time. But, I also seriously baby them.
redface.gif

I have not heard any 'newer' ones, so I can't comment on their 'lessened' base response, or 'darkened' vocals. But I can't imagine why Denon would alter the design or components of something so tried-and-true... but heck, I wouldn't be surprised either.

Apr 23, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #5,351 of 7,457

Quote:

Do I see correctly that you have them for sale? Or is this another set?

Either way, I've had no issue with mine (mechanically or sonically), and I've had them for a very long time. But, I also seriously baby them.
redface.gif

I have not heard any 'newer' ones, so I can't comment on their 'lessened' base response, or 'darkened' vocals. But I can't imagine why Denon would alter the design or components of something so tried-and-true... but heck, I wouldn't be surprised either.

Yeah it is the same set. I don't know why I bought them really. It was just an impulse buy that I never should have bought but I guess I got to try them at least. I bought the HD800 and AD2000 recently so been spending a bit much and the D7k isn't helping that and ideally I would like a better dac. However if it doesn't sell at a good enough price then I'll keep them and just stick with the dac I have and if anything happens to the dac I worry about it then.

Apr 23, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #5,352 of 7,457

Quote:
Has anyone experienced a twisted cable on just one of the ear cups? Mine have been like that since I got them, and it causes the cable to not hang naturally. (See picture) Is it possible / easy to take the cable off, untwist, and reattach without any major issues?

heres my solution on the d2000 ,no more twists ,for under £1 if you can put up with the look

Apr 25, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #5,353 of 7,457
With the recent news of these being discontinued, I jumped on a decent deal and ordered a set of these before they dry up. 

Hopefully be here sometime next week! 

My first high end headphone, and I cant wait. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back