Denon AH-D7000
Apr 19, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #5,326 of 7,457

Quote:
MY D7K screw just came off and is stripped. Needed to send it Denon OEM yesterday for repair. Cable kinked too so hopefully both fixed under warranty and  get it back quickly

I'm always afraid of something like that. Is the repair part of the warranty, or are you paying out of pocket to fix it? If so, how much was it?

Apr 20, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #5,331 of 7,457
Happen to me. Total nightmare! Took two months to be repaired, didn't fix the kink in the cable, and then returned to the wrong address. Thousand dollar headphone and a one year warranty. Sold them once they were returned. Edition eight all the way-->

Apr 21, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #5,332 of 7,457
I find this last page of the screw issue quite a worry. Bought my AH-D7000 just over a month ago. The loose handband screw issue is already occurring on one side. I bought mine from an Ebay seller who says I need to pay to return them back to them who will then send back to Denon. Having to accept the extra postage and then the wait time of up to a month is absolutely disgraceful for such an expensive headphone, especially when the screw must cost at most 20p to manufacture. Is there no way these can be bought in bulk and replaced by the end user without having to play these stupid customer support games?

Apr 21, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #5,333 of 7,457
my friends D7000 had the same issue and he was furious. From what his dealer said, its a very common problem. He has spent a year trying other headphones to get away from DENON but he keeps coming back to them as they have 'perfect' sound according to his tastes.

Hasn't happened on mine yet and ive had it for quite a while, had them recabled to balanced as well, which helped enhance the staging.

Apr 22, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #5,335 of 7,457
On my second pair of D7K's, never had a problem.

Apr 22, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #5,337 of 7,457

Quote:
I find this last page of the screw issue quite a worry. Bought my AH-D7000 just over a month ago. The loose handband screw issue is already occurring on one side. I bought mine from an Ebay seller who says I need to pay to return them back to them who will then send back to Denon. Having to accept the extra postage and then the wait time of up to a month is absolutely disgraceful for such an expensive headphone, especially when the screw must cost at most 20p to manufacture. Is there no way these can be bought in bulk and replaced by the end user without having to play these stupid customer support games?

Yes... this is a common problem with the Denon Headphones - failure of the screw / bolt assembly that fastens the cups to the gimbal of the headband.

The worst thing is - Denon refuses to repair them, or provide the replacement screw / bolt assembly... unless... you can prove you bought your phones from an "authorized dealer!"

If you can't prove it... you're "just out of luck" - "tough toenails!"  

However... if Denon refuses to repair yours... you can buy "miniature hardware" at some ACE Hardware and other hardware stores.  You may have to spend a bit of time searching for something similar to fit, but you can do so.  Then... you have to be a bit "creative" in replacing the screw / bolt assembly to re-fasten the cups to the gimbal.  But... it can be done - it's just a "pain in the ass."  

If you're about to "invest" in Denon Headphones... be sure to "pay the price" to buy them directly from an authorized dealer... and... keep your invoice... OR... you may find yourself "out in the cold."  

Apr 22, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #5,338 of 7,457

Quote:

Yes... this is a common problem with the Denon Headphones - failure of the screw / bolt assembly that fastens the cups to the gimbal of the headband.

The worst thing is - Denon refuses to repair them, or provide the replacement screw / bolt assembly... unless... you can prove you bought your phones from an "authorized dealer!"

If you can't prove it... you're "just out of luck" - "tough toenails!"  

However... if Denon refuses to repair yours... you can buy "miniature hardware" at some ACE Hardware and other hardware stores.  You may half to spend a bit of time searching for something similar to fit, but you can do so.  Then... you have to be a bit "creative" in replacing the screw / bolt assembly to re-fasten the cups to the gimbal.  But... it can be done - it's just a "pain in the ass."  

If you're about to "invest" in Denon Headphones... be sure to "pay the price" to buy them directly from an authorized dealer... and... keep your invoice... OR... you may find yourself "out in the cold."  

Thanks for this information. The seller has agreed to have them returned, (they are just over a month old after all) but I didn't want to have to pay the extra postage to do that and then wait for the things to be returned in god knows what condition and in what timeframe. It really is taking the shine off my enjoyment of these incredible sounding headphones. For Denon to act ignorant is fantastically insulting too. Pay over the odds for their flagship headphone and then get stiffed. Way to encourage customer loyalty.

I'm supposed to have a two year warranty, but the seller says it's with them and not with Denon. Also, if there is such a large turnaround (ludicrous considering the fault is entirely down to such a basic, easily repaired part) that's about 10% of my warranty spooged on these things hanging around a workbench.

Guess I need to suck it up, regardless of what I decide to do. Damn you, Denon.

Apr 22, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #5,339 of 7,457
Well, what do you know. Minutes after posting my last post, I picked my headphones up and the thing began to come apart in my hands. Thankfully, I was expecting it after some of the posts I read here and was able to ensure there was no loss of screws, washers or the spring.

Because it came apart all on its own I was able to get the headphone back on and retained. There's no need to do anything warranty damaging like dismantling the headphone cup. In fact, there is absolutely no need to have access to the screw head at all. You can't turn the screw anyway because of the way it is locked into the headband. Pictures speak a thousand words, so I've attached a few to make things clearer to people.

All I need to do now is get some Loctite 243 to keep the nut secure and retain the cap properly. That thing is kept on purely using the adhesion of thread-lock cement and not very much of it either.

From what I can ascertain, this problem is entirely to do with the assembly line and inadequate application of the thread cement. It beggars belief that such a small thing could cause so many headaches.

Here's all the components that fell off in the order that I found them.
From left to right: The bolt. The washer. The spring. Two Washers. The Nut. The Cap. And finally, the tiny, tiny piece of old locking cement.

This is the hollow where you need to place the spring, the two washers and the nut. The cap then goes on top.

The oval washer needs to go on top of here between the gimbal and the headband.

Fully reassembled. The nut was tightened up using the tweezers from a mini swiss-army knife. Nothing else I had was small or precise enough for the job. That little knife comes in useful every single day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back