Denon AH-D7000
Feb 11, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #4,981 of 7,457

Quote:
I appreciate the feedback. I'm starting to think that maybe there is no single pair of headphones that does everything well. There is likely no way to have my bass, and not have bloat.

Maybe I will keep the D7000's for popular music and get some Sennheiser HD598's for classical and jazz.

Both of those headphones together are still cheaper than one pair of T1's.

You're never going to get the deepest and most authoritative bass from headphones.  Both require you to move a lot of air.  The denons are the closest I've personally heard that sounds like a pair of tower speakers and subs, though.  Many members on AVS agree as well.  I can only guess it's why most everybody on head-fi has multiple pair of headphones.

Feb 11, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #4,982 of 7,457
Sorry about my whining...I really do appreciate everyone's comments. They have definitely helped me get through this "buyer's remorse" period.

After taking a little break and resting my ears, I listened to some of those "muddy" tracks again and they really do sound OK. I think my ears and brain were tired that evening.

I really do like the D7000 and I really haven't heard another headphone that sounds better to my ears with more of my music. I don't like the LCD-2 or the HD800. If I think about it, the D7000's are exactly what I've been looking for and I am happy with them, so I'm not going to sweat the handful or albums that sound a little congested.

Feb 12, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #4,983 of 7,457
Synergy.
From all the HD800's and LCD-2's and T1's and D7000's that I've heard today (at the norcal meet), on a wide range of tube & SS equipment, the one thing that kept coming up was synergy. Even the change of one tube can take a rasping, harsh, screaching HD800, and turn it into something beautiful.
From the mixing and mastering of the original source recording, all the way up the different devices to your ears... they each play a particular roll in the final sound. Even your own HRTF will effect the sound radically. So everything is going to sound different to everyone, and tastes muddy things up even further.

But my own D7k's sound like slop on some amps, and glorious on others. Some days, I'm just not hearing the same either, whether it be allergies, barometric pressure... whatever. So all this takes some patience and a knowlege of what is involved.

Go with what you like and what works for you. There will always be better out there, even if it's your own, on another day.
wink_face.gif

Feb 12, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #4,984 of 7,457
Definitely true. Also, if you own several headphones, going from one directly to another may make one sound either muddy, or incredibly bright. Gotta let your ears adjust.

Feb 13, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #4,985 of 7,457
I agree with this very much also. Synergy because i just went from a fiio e7 dac to a dacport and my sennheiser hd25-1 ii's had a much bigger boost than the denon d7000's. Burn in for your brain because i often expect huge changes but dont get them initially (like with my first dac and the d7000's). But also sometimes you just hear different things one day to the next for no reason.

Feb 13, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #4,986 of 7,457
As for me, I like LCD2 over Denon AH-D7000 for short listening session but for work and long day listening I prefer Denon, it's way more comfortable.

LCD2 I can wear for about max 30 minutes then my head/ears starts to hurt,it's almost becoming an useless headphone due to weight and clamping force, but I will keep it.

If LCD3 were as comfortable Denon's I will have bought them already :wink:

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #4,987 of 7,457
Oh wow I didn't realise the LCD2 was like this. Kinda glad that I got the D7000 first at least. Hey Canadian411: How do you find the Denon D7000 perform with the Burson HA-160DS? And how do you find the bass compares between the Denon and Audeze on there?

Quote:
As for me, I like LCD2 over Denon AH-D7000 for short listening session but for work and long day listening I prefer Denon, it's way more comfortable.

LCD2 I can wear for about max 30 minutes then my head/ears starts to hurt,it's almost becoming an useless headphone due to weight and clamping force, but I will keep it.

If LCD3 were as comfortable Denon's I will have bought them already :wink:

Feb 13, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #4,989 of 7,457
I suggest you consider Electronics Expo "open box".

Drew

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #4,992 of 7,457
Under 600, new in opened box...  Just search their site....

Drew

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #4,993 of 7,457
Only available new. Plus "under 600" is not some sort of superdeal when you get get them here on the forum for similar price. Thanks for trying though.

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #4,994 of 7,457

Quote:
Only available new. Plus "under 600" is not some sort of superdeal when you get get them here on the forum for similar price. Thanks for trying though.

It's harder to come by a sale for a PERFECT condition D7000 on this forum. Electronic Expo has them in stock, and frankly, under $600 is several hundreds of dollars off the MSRP, plus in brand new condition, and comes with warranty. If that's not a good deal, I don't know what is

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #4,995 of 7,457

Oh well, they were still $585 there a couple of days ago, which is most definitely a great deal for a new pair...

Drew

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back