Denon AH-D7000
Feb 9, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #4,966 of 7,457

Quote:
Yes, the difference was quite literally like having another pair of headphones.... a much worse pair.
The D7000, I wholeheartedly believe relies on the pads to give it their signature sound.
And trust me, the Beyer velours are VERY different.
Puttin DT770 pads on the DT990 made the sound all muffled and mostly nothing but bass.
Putting DT990 pads on the DT770 made the bass disappear, and made it sound like it was 90% treble.
The PX200 pads on the KSC75 gave it a very muffled, bass oriented sound. Super veiled, all the detail disappeared.
There was no SLIGHT difference. It was a MAJOR difference.
This is why I will never roll pads ever again, unless it's guranteed to keep the same sound.

Glad to see you back with D7000. It's a good stuff that I finally settled with. 
L3000.gif

Feb 9, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #4,967 of 7,457

Quote:
I've got about 60-70 hours of burn-in time on my 7000's now and I'm really not convinced they sound any different than when new. 

There may be a slight tightening of the upper bass, but it could also be my imagination. Overall, I'm very happy with them. They do everything well - prog rock is amazing, classical is wonderful, and jazz is fantastic. I have a bunch of alt/rock CD's from the 80's that all sound so anemic, and these 7000's add enough punch to make them enjoyable - yet somehow on well recorded music, the bass is still never bloated. Just hard hitting. They can occasionally sound a little congested in the mids with vocal jazz, but it's very subtle and it doesn't intrude into the music.

The Objective2 is definitely tighter in the bass than my Peachtree Nova, although the difference isn't dramatic. In a small percentage of my music, the added "warmth" of the Nova actually helps smooth the edges a little, but for the vast majority of my music (all types), the O2 is superior.

My Violectric should arrive in the next day or two and I'm hoping (and predicting) that it performs as well as the O2. 

These have officially replaced my HD600's as my new favorite all around headphones!

My Violectric arrived yesterday. I really like it. It sounds very nice - a smidge tighter and sharper than the Nova - indistinguishable from the Objective2. My daughter, who prefers her music a little on the lush/dark side, prefers the Nova. She hears a bigger difference between them than I do though (she's 15, so she definitely has better hearing than I do).

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #4,968 of 7,457
Alright, I didn't intend for this to happen, but today I spent some quality time with some classical music and I really started noticing the upper bass hump. Many of the recordings I listened to today just sounded muddy in the midrange and I couldn't shake it. I switched to some vocal jazz and I still heard it - especially with vocals w/standing bass and piano recordings.

I am very sensitive to bloat and it spoils the experience for me. I'm starting to think that the D7000's just have too much bass for my tastes. Even on rock, the bass dominates and I can't help but analyze it. I think I need to move over (or up) to something that does bass better - punchy and tight, but not overbearing and bloated.

I sold my HD 600's because they didn't have the low frequency punch/impact I like, but the D7000's are too much. Now I'm thinking, based on a lot of reading, that maybe the Beyerdynamic T1 has what I'm looking for.

Maybe I just need to rest my ears for a day and listen to the Denons again?

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #4,969 of 7,457

Quote:
Alright, I didn't intend for this to happen, but today I spent some quality time with some classical music and I really started noticing the upper bass hump. Many of the recordings I listened to today just sounded muddy in the midrange and I couldn't shake it. I switched to some vocal jazz and I still heard it - especially with vocals w/standing bass and piano recordings.

I am very sensitive to bloat and it spoils the experience for me. I'm starting to think that the D7000's just have too much bass for my tastes. Even on rock, the bass dominates and I can't help but analyze it. I think I need to move over (or up) to something that does bass better - punchy and tight, but not overbearing and bloated.

I sold my HD 600's because they didn't have the low frequency punch/impact I like, but the D7000's are too much. Now I'm thinking, based on a lot of reading, that maybe the Beyerdynamic T1 has what I'm looking for.

Maybe adding a bit of sound dampening material (to taste) to the back of the cups? It'd probably pull the bass down a bit, and tighten it a tad. If it's a huge problem, maybe doing a full-on Mark'l Mod? (Though I don't see them needing that).

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #4,970 of 7,457
Quote:

I would take the DT880 (or HD800) over both the T1 and D7000 for classical, personally I find the bass bloated on the T1s and D7000s. The Denons while decent all rounders excel with bass-dominant genres, wildly inaccurate but a lot of fun! 

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #4,972 of 7,457
I really want some Tesla T1s, but I'm afraid that they won't meet the all important WAF (wife approval factor). The price is beyond what she considers sane. :) So I'll likely have to make do with some DT880s.

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #4,973 of 7,457
Just a little bit of the taste of the bass for you.

I love the Denon D7K.

Feb 10, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #4,974 of 7,457
I greatly appreciate the DT880. I think they are wonderful.
But since this is a topic of discussion... I'll throw my opinion into the mix.

Most of the music I listen to is Classical or Acoustic (jazz, bluegrass, folk, etc.). With my rig and my ears, the D7k reproduces a hollow-bodied stringed instrument with more verisimilitude than the DT880. (I would have used the word 'truth', but that sounds a bit pretentious).

Anyway, as much as I love the DT880, the highs (while extreme and very detailed) are a bit much and tend to throw the mix out of balance. The lowest end of the DT880 is much more 'truthful' than the D7k, but most acoustic work doesn't plumb those depths too often, so mids and highs are much more critical to the realism. And that's where the D7k truly shine.
The lower-mids and upper-bass (before the mid-bass hump) aid in reproducing a sonorous and very 'acoustic' tonality. The sounds have weight and body, and are not just notes.

I have both of these cans. I have listened to nearly everything I possess with both of them. The DT880 are better for some things than others and are very good for Classical. I just don't think they are quite as good at conveying the actual tonality and presence of acoustic instruments as the D7k.

Just my $.03

Feb 10, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #4,975 of 7,457
Glad to see you back with D7000. It's a good stuff that I finally settled with. 
L3000.gif

Yeah, it's good to have them back, and I assure you that this time they aren't going anywhere. I was hurting when I gave them up last time. It was only a matter of time.

Feb 11, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #4,976 of 7,457

Quote:
I would take the DT880 (or HD800) over both the T1 and D7000 for classical, personally I find the bass bloated on the T1s and D7000s. The Denons while decent all rounders excel with bass-dominant genres, wildly inaccurate but a lot of fun! 

I appreciate the feedback. I'm starting to think that maybe there is no single pair of headphones that does everything well. There is likely no way to have my bass, and not have bloat.

Maybe I will keep the D7000's for popular music and get some Sennheiser HD598's for classical and jazz.

Both of those headphones together are still cheaper than one pair of T1's.

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #4,977 of 7,457
I have found the D7000 to sound too full with many songs with amps that are tuned for more bass (like the little E17 or the iBasso D10 I had). My Audio-gd setup doesn't emphasis bass (if anything tightens it up) and makes the D7000 just about perfect for me. The meaty sound is still there but controlled better without the bloat.
This is how I have setup my speakers as well- they are bass heavy (but detailed treble) and the AGD gear does the same for it.

Feb 11, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #4,978 of 7,457

Quote:
I have found the D7000 to sound too full with many songs with amps that are tuned for more bass (like the little E17 or the iBasso D10 I had). My Audio-gd setup doesn't emphasis bass (if anything tightens it up) and makes the D7000 just about perfect for me. The meaty sound is still there but controlled better without the bloat.
This is how I have setup my speakers as well- they are bass heavy (but detailed treble) and the AGD gear does the same for it.

yay another Audio-GD user :)

Feb 11, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #4,979 of 7,457
I'll be on that same boat soon. It better not roll off bass or treble...

Feb 11, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #4,980 of 7,457
Quote:
I appreciate the feedback. I'm starting to think that maybe there is no single pair of headphones that does everything well. There is likely no way to have my bass, and not have bloat.

Maybe I will keep the D7000's for popular music and get some Sennheiser HD598's for classical and jazz.

Both of those headphones together are still cheaper than one pair of T1's.

Well there is no single phone that will do it all simply because bass depth, such as the extra octave the D7000s have, comes from reverberation and that will interfere with the mids. The DT880s don't go as low as the D7000 but I find the Beyers more tonally accurate and use them for everything apart from electronica, movies and games which the D7000s do best. The bass of the D7000 is somewhat separated from the rest of the spectrum, perhaps similar to that of a subwoofer in a speaker setup, for this same reason I didn't bother with the T1s which were similar in that respect.

In addition to the bass I find the D7000s to work well with poorly recorded music which in all honesty seems to be about half of my collection. You might be able to get away with the 598s for classical and jazz, but a HD600 or perhaps a smoother HD650 would suit you much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back