Denon AH-D7000
Jan 20, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #4,876 of 7,457
I've been using the Graham Slee Solo with the D7000s lately and really enjoying it. The Solo is a smooth, laidback SS amp and keeps the D7000s energy and buttery lows and mids while smoothing out the highs a tad. I'm very happy with it. :)

Jan 20, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #4,877 of 7,457
Currently watching a used Wa3 on ebay at the moment that is going for a nice price. Would this be a good combo for the Denons? I don't want them to sound to laid back but still love that warm sound. I'm just worried I might lose the Denons great treble if paired with this amp.

That's an OTL tube amp and theoretically will not pair well with the Denons. OTL amps are for high impedance cans like the Sennheiser HD650s.

Jan 20, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #4,878 of 7,457

Quote:
I've been using the Graham Slee Solo with the D7000s lately and really enjoying it. The Solo is a smooth, laidback SS amp and keeps the D7000s energy and buttery lows and mids while smoothing out the highs a tad. I'm very happy with it.
smily_headphones1.gif

I use Solo too ... I am happy with it 
smily_headphones1.gif

It drives all my headphones very well ... I use an LME49720HA instead of the original OPA

Jan 20, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #4,879 of 7,457

Quote:
Currently watching a used Wa3 on ebay at the moment that is going for a nice price. Would this be a good combo for the Denons? I don't want them to sound to laid back but still love that warm sound. I'm just worried I might lose the Denons great treble if paired with this amp.

I like the WA3 a lot-- actually prefer it a bit over the fine WA6. But yeah, I would not pair it with the Denons. A little too soft/uncompelling IIRC. I'm happy to have both the WA3 and WA6, but use different cans for each (primarily the Beyer T1's with the WA3 and the Denon D7000's with the WA6). There are many other amps that would match well with the Denons. I'd like to hear the aforementioned Graham Slee series, for example.

Jan 20, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #4,880 of 7,457

Quote:
I've been using the Graham Slee Solo with the D7000s lately and really enjoying it. The Solo is a smooth, laidback SS amp and keeps the D7000s energy and buttery lows and mids while smoothing out the highs a tad. I'm very happy with it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
I use Solo too ... I am happy with it 
smily_headphones1.gif

It drives all my headphones very well ... I use an LME49720HA instead of the original OPA

Quote:

I like the WA3 a lot-- actually prefer it a bit over the fine WA6. But yeah, I would not pair it with the Denons. A little too soft/uncompelling IIRC. I'm happy to have both the WA3 and WA6, but use different cans for each (primarily the Beyer T1's with the WA3 and the Denon D7000's with the WA6). There are many other amps that would match well with the Denons. I'd like to hear the aforementioned Graham Slee series, for example.

Thank you very much all for the information. I have been looking at the Solo and it was my main SS choice so I think I'm going to go with it. Plus it's easy to find in the UK which makes a nice change.

@dan S the description of the sound is exactly what I'm looking for, great information thank you :D 

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #4,881 of 7,457

Quote:
They don't sell the FUN anymore.
frown.gif

I expect great things with the D7000+Audio-GD C-2.2.

really?  I bought mine from Pacific Valve here in the US a year ago.  The website for the FUN is still up from Asia.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/FUN/FUNEN.htm

Jan 20, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #4,882 of 7,457
Thank you very much all for the information. I have been looking at the Solo and it was my main SS choice so I think I'm going to go with it. Plus it's easy to find in the UK which makes a nice change.

@dan S the description of the sound is exactly what I'm looking for, great information thank you :D 

Glad to help! It's been wonderful for both my Denons and Sennheisers, just a great little amp. There are two versions, the SRG II and the Ultra Linear. the SRG is the smoother of the two.

Jan 20, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #4,883 of 7,457
I use Solo too ... I am happy with it  :)

That's the op amp? Was it difficult to replace? Did you try a few different ones?

I'm happy with the way the amp is now, but might be interested in a tweak eventually.

Jan 20, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #4,884 of 7,457
really?  I bought mine from Pacific Valve here in the US a year ago.  The website for the FUN is still up from Asia.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/FUN/FUNEN.htm

To get to that link, I have to go through the discontinued link on the Audio-GD site. But it's alright. The C-2.2 seems to be a bit better/more powerful overall. Just that I will have two separate pieces (C-2.2 and NFB 3.1) instead of a neat all in one.

Jan 20, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #4,885 of 7,457

Quote:
That's the op amp? Was it difficult to replace? Did you try a few different ones?
I'm happy with the way the amp is now, but might be interested in a tweak eventually.

if you understand the basics of the audio technology it's easy ... or you have a friend ..... or you have Grahams Ultra Linear, I think at this case this modification ist not needed 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #4,886 of 7,457
Have my EF-5, it came in today and I plugged it in and turned it on for a while to let it warm up while I ate dinner. It's really solid, seems well built, and has a clean, no-nonsense look. It's sharp.

The sound? Holy hell, it's like swatting gnats with a howitzer. Even on low gain, just below 10 o'clock is about as far as I want to go with the D7000s. It has no noise just clean, pure silence, and then the music starts. My first test track with any new gear is Tori Amos' A Sorta Fairytale; one because she kicks ass, and two because it's very well mastered for headphones. Well, it sounds fairly similar to the HE-2, but it's definitely tighter on the bass, and not quite as warm in the mids, over all it's more neutral. On to Lateralus by tool... The highs are still tame, not as bright as the E9, but less veiled than the HE-2. IMO, it sits between the two in tone, but has an effortless power that neither of them have. I noticed this with my HD598 and SR-80i too. With that is a wider and fuller soundstage, not drastically different but easily noticed if you're familiar with the track you're playing. It's acres of lush bass and mids with clean highs.

So it's not as warm/mellow as what you'd expect from traditional tube amps but not as clinical as SS. It sits in the middle, and from what I can tell so far, it does a damned good job of it. I like the D7000/EF-5 match, sure as hell beats what I had. :) Going to spend more time with it this weekend and take more notes, also going to go ahead and order an OPA627 opamp and a few tubes to play with, something to compare with the 12AU7 that came with it.

Jan 21, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #4,887 of 7,457
if you understand the basics of the audio technology it's easy ... or you have a friend ..... or you have Grahams Ultra Linear, I think at this case this modification ist not needed  :)

What effect did it have on the sound? I have the SRG II.

Jan 22, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #4,888 of 7,457

Quote:
What effect did it have on the sound? I have the SRG II.

My feeling - Solo sounds a little bit more detailled, relaxed, treble shining ....  but this are subjetiv as all compairing by hearing in this case 
smily_headphones1.gif

If you could get use an LME49720NA  (DIP version) or LME49720HA  (TO99 metal can version - knowledge about are essential to find the right pins)

http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LME49720.html
http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LME49720.html#Packaging

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #4,889 of 7,457
I to tried the LME49720HA mod on a Solo SRGII and at first I loved it. With further use I found it a bit fatiguing and returned to the original op-amp. Please note that this is all a personal opinion and your milage may vary. Good luck.

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #4,890 of 7,457
Thanks for the info, guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back