Denon AH-D7000
May 8, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #3,556 of 7,457

Quote:
Between D2000/D5000 and D7000, which has more bass slam? With the lack of so called bloated mid bass, does D7000 any thinner?

D7000 definitely have more controlled bass compared to D5000.  This gives their bass more impact or 'slam' imo, compared to the D5000 which can be a little undefined.  Mids on the D7000 are also more present, and are better integrated with the bass, making it more full & natural.  Nothing thin about D7000's bass at all- if anything I find it overwhelming with certain tracks.

May 8, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #3,557 of 7,457
codeninja...I like bass just as much as anyone else and to me the more the better but I've listened to both headphones and I still would prefer the 7000s.

May 8, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #3,558 of 7,457
Hmm, I'm tempted, but I dunno how it will work with the D7000.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Etymotic-Headphones-ER4P-ER4S-75-Ohm-Convertor-Cable-/270739369163?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item3f0952eccb

Here's a nicer one.

I would need a 6.3mm to 3.5mm for the D7000, and a 3.5mm to 6.3mm for the 75ohm adapter. That's a Schiitload of adapters, lol. Good thing I have so many to spare.

What do we gain by using this? Less sensibility?

May 8, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #3,559 of 7,457
You don't need one unless you  have an amp with tons of power. Because the D7000 is so easy to drive, the volume jumps when you use it with really powerful amps make it hard to get to some people's appropriate listening level. This makes the headphones harder to drive, thus making the volume jumps smaller.

At least...I think that's what it does. lol

Quote:
Quote:
Hmm, I'm tempted, but I dunno how it will work with the D7000.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Etymotic-Headphones-ER4P-ER4S-75-Ohm-Convertor-Cable-/270739369163?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item3f0952eccb

Here's a nicer one.

I would need a 6.3mm to 3.5mm for the D7000, and a 3.5mm to 6.3mm for the 75ohm adapter. That's a Schiitload of adapters, lol. Good thing I have so many to spare.

What do we gain by using this? Less sensibility?

May 8, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #3,561 of 7,457
To me its not even about the volume jump. Its about the hum the Lyr has with super easy to drive phones like this, and because I don't want it to damage my D7000 just by being plugged in.

Anyone wanna bite the bullet and see if one of those Etymotic resistors works with the D7000?

BTW, was able to spend some time with the D7000 and some movies. Best movies headphone, evar. They have such a movie theater sound to it.... awesome.

May 8, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #3,563 of 7,457
Uhh, I have. The D7000 has an audible hum at low volume levels with the Lyr. The same as all easy to drive headphones I have used. Also, the Lyr possibly damaged Macedonian Hero's Ed. 8 as well as my D7000 (blown right driver). I never had an issue with my D7000 until I got the Lyr. Within a week, my right driver was crackling like crazy. I never abused the D7000 with the Lyr.

This is why I wanna find something to allow me to use the D7000 off the Lyr.

May 9, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #3,565 of 7,457
Help me out here.  I got into work today and noticed there's a kink in the y cable heading to the right side (these are the eBay set the Aamefford's are at home).  About half way through the day right side goes dead.  Closer inspection shows that w/o a doubt the kink is bad enough to have caused the problem.  

That said, bearing in mind I'm about the least handy person going, anyway I can splice/fix it myself.  If not, any recs on who to have do the recabling?

May 9, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #3,566 of 7,457
Issues aside, I feeel the D7000 sounds better on the E9 over the Lyr. The Lyr made the D7000 too polite, recessed the mids, and lost the aggressiveness that the E9 has. What it gain was an organic, more realistic tone, but too dull for me personally.

That is with the stock Lyr tubes. Once I rolled the Valhalla tubes onto the Lyr, the D7000 came alive. The mids came out to play, it became a little more lively and airier than the stock tubes. The mids still can't approach the forward mids of the E9, but vocals sound realistic, and the sound has more weight to it. In comparison, the E9 sounds artificially boosted, and doesn't have the organic and full tone the Lyr does with those 6N1P tubes... (Schiit sells a pair for $20 right on the Lyr page). Half the price of the stock tubes, and better.

May 9, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #3,567 of 7,457
 been reading the amping post and I will say that My Taboo makes them sing even at 6W its sounds amazing but I listen mostly on the Pioneer SX650 which is a 35W 1979 receiver and they sing as well. That said I see no issues with my amps whether its the 35W Pioneer or the 6W Taboo. I also used it with great results on my 80W SX980. If i were to stick with a straight SS headphone only amp the Matrix was better than all I owned including the Concerto

May 9, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #3,568 of 7,457

Quote:
Help me out here.  I got into work today and noticed there's a kink in the y cable heading to the right side (these are the eBay set the Aamefford's are at home).  About half way through the day right side goes dead.  Closer inspection shows that w/o a doubt the kink is bad enough to have caused the problem.  

That said, bearing in mind I'm about the least handy person going, anyway I can splice/fix it myself.  If not, any recs on who to have do the recabling?

Any chance you've got a picture of location of the damage, it might be easier to see options for slicing/repairing/recabling. 

Bummer that they got damgaged.  Not to throw salt in the open wound, but how have you been transporting them?

May 9, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #3,569 of 7,457

Quote:
Any chance you've got a picture of location of the damage, it might be easier to see options for slicing/repairing/recabling.   
Bummer that they got damgaged.  Not to throw salt in the open wound, but how have you been transporting them?

I can take one in the morning.   Basically it's midway between the cup and where the cables join. 

They've never left work, they were shipped there, and there they've stayed.  I suspect that when I received them a couple weeks ago, there was a twist in the cable which I never straightened out, and in taking them on and off I inadvertently pulled it tighter.  This possibility exists someone did it when I wasn't there, though that's somewhat unlikely starting today they are locked way when I'm not there.  Either way an expensive lesson has been learned. 

May 9, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #3,570 of 7,457
If it's mid-way between I'd be inclined to think about a recable vs. putting some sort of splice in the middle.  You could consider posting to see if anyone has a spare stock cable left over from a previous recable.

I am sure you can get some great opinions on who to use for a re-cable if you go that route, and the good news is that there are many options at some fairly reasonable prices.  Just to name a few...

http://www.zombie-x.com/zxamateurcablesrev2/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=195
http://www.zynsonix.com/Recables.htm
http://www.lawtonaudio.com/index.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back