Denon AH-D7000
Dec 3, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #2,326 of 7,457

Quote:
So my love affair has strengthened, these simply do everything right and not just adequately but with aplomb. Shane, I am going to have a hard time using my SM3 for music after these, I think I will have to send them in for repair and then sell them. To be honest other than the train ride I am finding I prefer over the ear anything to IEM's right now.

As an aside, are there any Denon portable's that while not being able to match these in all ways can come close to this type of sound at least signature wise if not technically, or if not Denon any other portable that anyone has tried? I am starting to prefer headphone to IEM but will take suggestions on either, if you don't want to pollute this excellent thread then just shoot me a PM.

AH-A100 is what you need. It's a superb portable headphone. Highly recommended.

Dec 3, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #2,328 of 7,457
I love the idea of that headphone but am not sure I can swing two headphones in the half grand + arena, plus they are so beautiful I would be afraid to wear them on the bus and train. But I haven't completely ruled them out yet either LOL,

Dec 3, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #2,329 of 7,457

Quote:
I love the idea of that headphone but am not sure I can swing two headphones in the half grand + arena, plus they are so beautiful I would be afraid to wear them on the bus and train. But I haven't completely ruled them out yet either LOL,

If you like serious modding shoot me a PM I'll let you know what I'm working on that might help.

Dec 3, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #2,330 of 7,457
Quote:
So my love affair has strengthened, these simply do everything right and not just adequately but with aplomb.

Yeah, for me too. I went through so many headphones being dissatisfied before I found the D7000s. It was such a revelation to have a pair that at least for you do everything right and then excel in several key areas. I can use them for everything without thought to quality of recording nor genre. It all sounds great.

Quote:
dweaver said:
As an aside, are there any Denon portable's that while not being able to match these in all ways can come close to this type of sound at least signature wise if not technically, or if not Denon any other portable that anyone has tried? I am starting to prefer headphone to IEM but will take suggestions on either, if you don't want to pollute this excellent thread then just shoot me a PM.

The new Sony Z1000s have been a real eye-opener as well. I love these new Sonys just about as much as I love the D7000s and for many of the same reasons. They definitely do not have as nice a soundstage as the D7000s. But outside of that, I am feeling pretty secure in my thoughts that the Z1000s essentially sport superior drivers and that they also have about everything that I love about the D7000s. Except for the smallish soundstage, I could imagine these being the sound quality and signature of the 'D9000's' if such a model were ever made. They are very sturdy and tough and are quite portable too. If you really like the D7000s, I am guessing that you will also really like the Z1000s.

Just a heads up from a fellow Denon enthusiast.
beerchug.gif

Dec 3, 2010 at 7:31 AM Post #2,331 of 7,457
Being mainly an HD800 listener, I initially got the Denon 7K just for those recordings that seemed bass-shy on the HD800s.  But now, having had both for a couple of months, I find I'm listening (and re-listening) with the Denons about 80% of the time.  For some reason, though, I want to keep both sets of cans.  

Also, as a tube amp user, I find myself changing tubes when I switch headphones; with the HD800s, I use a pair of power tubes that will provide more bass at the expense of a tiny bit of treble smoothness and soundstage width.

With the Denons, I switch over to tubes that don't have the bass extension, but provide a smooth, warm midrange and treble.  

It would be great to find a single pair of headphones (and tubes) that do all of the above (LCD-2?--I haven't heard them yet) but for now I'm quite happy with my arrangement.

Dec 4, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #2,333 of 7,457
Can anyone verify if the E7 and E9 amp/DAC combo would drive the D7000s well enough without compromising its sound quality? Are there any other DAC and amp combinations you guys would recommend under $250? I'm using the D7000s with my laptop.

Thanks.

Dec 4, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #2,334 of 7,457
I can't speak for others but I find my pair driven comfortably from my Auzentech Forte 7.1 sound card's HP port, my small desktop amp listed in my signature, as well as a small Rocoon portable amp I picked up recently. I don't have a high end amp to compare against though. But will say this, I also have tried the D7000 straight from my iPhone and while the iPhone could make them loud enough there was a serious loss in quality in bass as well as overall sharpness and detail in direct comparison to my amps.

Dec 12, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #2,337 of 7,457
So I am just wondering what everyone thinks about my "predicament"

I am considering selling my D7000 because I recently acquired a pair of HD 800 and I really like them... but I can't afford both.

However, the D7000 just does so much I like well.

It is almost like the D7000 -> LCD-2 and -> HD 800 are supposed to be together... you have fun, but slightly coloured in the bass to dead neutral, to great soundstage but slightly coloured in the highs.

Right now I kinda feel greedy lol...

The D7000 are great with electronic and less busy recordings like alternative and classic rock but I feel like I won't be using them that much any more.

But for everything the LCD-2 and HD 800 do great.. the just don't sound as "comfy" and engaging as the D7000 with certain genres.

To me, the D7000 sound the most "musical" as it makes a lot of music sound fun and toe tapping good and really are very good in their own right... Being closed just puts them at an artificially unfair advantage. The LCD-2 don't sound like anything -they sound like real life and the HD 800 sound like some sort of Dolby headphone DSP that actually works and are damned comfy.

Dec 12, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #2,338 of 7,457

Quote:

I am considering selling my D7000 because I recently acquired a pair of HD 800 and I really like them... but I can't afford both.

It is almost like the D7000 -> LCD-2 and -> HD 800 are supposed to be together... you have fun, but slightly coloured in the bass to dead neutral, to great soundstage but slightly coloured in the highs.

The D7000 are great with electronic and less busy recordings like alternative and classic rock but I feel like I won't be using them that much any more.

But for everything the LCD-2 and HD 800 do great.. the just don't sound as "comfy" and engaging as the D7000 with certain genres.

To me, the D7000 sound the most "musical" as it makes a lot of music sound fun and toe tapping good and really are very good in their own right... Being closed just puts them at an artificially unfair advantage. The LCD-2 don't sound like anything -they sound like real life and the HD 800 sound like some sort of Dolby headphone DSP that actually works and are damned comfy.

Easy for me!   I couldn't afford all of them either, and my listening requires closed cans, therefore - D7000's.  Wish it was as easy for you!

Dec 12, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #2,339 of 7,457
I don't find the D7000 isolate that much haha so I wouldn't keep them only for being closed... but I do know they are amazing and will miss the the second I ship them haha.

The D7000 are the type of headphone that just make anything sound good really.

Dec 12, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #2,340 of 7,457

Quote:

I was in a similar situation as well and I figured when listening to music I probably would want the most musical headphone.  Having an actual headphone that lets me enjoy the music was my biggest goal in head-fi and with that said, I kept the denon.  I do wish I still had my HD800's though because they're a really nice headphone.  I can imagine they would sound very good on a darker SS amp like that pheonix in your inventory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back