Denon AH-D7000
Feb 10, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #1,561 of 7,457
SteveM324;6388694 said:
I received my D7000s last Friday and I've been listening to them quite a bit while I burn them in. For most of my music collection, I like the D7000 better than the HD800. When I listen to the D7000, I get deeply involved with my music. When I listen to the HD800, I think about all the audiophile stuff like how big the soundstage is and the separation of images but I don't get into the music nearly as much.

Yeah...I agree. The great thing is, if you have both in your collection, and possibly a T1
tongue_smile.gif
you're really set for all sorts of music listening, whether critical or just for fun and rocking out.

Feb 10, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #1,563 of 7,457
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveM324 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will. I was listening to Stevie Ray Vaughn last night through the D7000 and it was mind boggling good. Then I put on the HD800 and the magic was gone. Sorry but the RS1s don't have the bass power and non fatiguing highs of the D7000. I know, I sold my RS1s and never looked back. Go back and read your posts from a month ago about the 7000s.
evil_smiley.gif
That should bring back some memories of your old 7000s.

The skyyyyy is cryyyingg.
darthsmile.gif
There are certain types of music that touch your soul, and the D7000s let you know what kind of music it really is.

Feb 10, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #1,564 of 7,457
File this under 'no good deed goes unpunished.' I exposed a friend to the world of headphones. he cursed me as he spent a ton and bought an ultra micro dac and amp and denon 5000's from headroom. he brought them over for a listen and I was blown away and realized immediately that I needed the d7000's (profile is more of what I prefer than the 5000's). dang. I thought I was done spending money. I've been perfectly satisfied with my setup for a long time. that changed when I realized how different the denon's sounded compared to my hd600's. and how much I needed them. I've spent (wasted) so much time over the last week thinking about these headphones that I finally decided that I had to just buy them so i could get some work done. They are on their way.....

Feb 11, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #1,565 of 7,457
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course to each his own. I had the DX1000s cabled w/Jena Ultra. Do the Math, over $1500 worth of headphones. Absolutely beautiful canz. BEAUTIFUL!! IMO, sounded like Total crap. Some people call it Lush, it was to me syrupy, thick, slow, and not precise at all. Sounded like your head was in a cave with the weird honky thing that was going on with them.. Supremely over rated canz IMO. They are purty if that's Important to you. Darth Beyers are purty too, sound like total Dawg SCAT.

It is very important that you pay attention to what someone thinks sounds good and see if you feel the same about those cans. Then the Transitive property will hopefully let you assume you'll like the other canz that person likes.

Minimus here ( http://www.head-fi.org/forums/3917475-post192.html ) had a very different experience from you... He has noticed no coloration (syrupy, slowness) and no weird cave-like echo effect, but he has also tried finding which tubes work the best with the dx1000... did you do the same? this is especially important given that different tube combinations used change the character of the dx1000...

The moral I guess is that the dx1000 are extremely finicky about tubes used
smily_headphones1.gif

it doesn't help that I am deciding between the 337se and the decware csp2... the cost and availability of the specific tubes plus the perceived risk of buying the 337se from darkvoice (in case that something should go wrong, I am not willing to spend 300 dollars to send it to China and back to me during warranty... ideally I would repair it locally with them covering the costs during the warranty period.. but I would also need their support with schematics and stuff, if need be... so what would happen should they fold their business after I bought it? Decware seems to be more reliable in this regard) will make up my decision...

edit:

Also, given that you bought the dx1000 second-hand.. perhaps it wasn't for the best that the previous owner had changed the stock cable with the ones from Jena, given that the dx1000 has been designed around the characteristics of its own proprietary cable...

Feb 11, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #1,567 of 7,457
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redcarmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How easy are these cups to replace out? I could see many ways of making a change to the sound by the use of different hardwood.

If you rotate the earpads off the frames, you'll see a screw in each slot where the pads are anchored. Those are the screws that secure the cups. It's pretty easy, and you don't disturb any other part of the phones including the drivers and wiring.

Feb 11, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #1,568 of 7,457
Quote:

Originally Posted by nautilus983 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Minimus here ( http://www.head-fi.org/forums/3917475-post192.html ) had a very different experience from you... He has noticed no coloration (syrupy, slowness) and no weird cave-like echo effect, but he has also tried finding which tubes work the best with the dx1000... did you do the same? this is especially important given that different tube combinations used change the character of the dx1000...

The moral I guess is that the dx1000 are extremely finicky about tubes used
smily_headphones1.gif

it doesn't help that I am deciding between the 337se and the decware csp2... the cost and availability of the specific tubes plus the perceived risk of buying the 337se from darkvoice (in case that something should go wrong, I am not willing to spend 300 dollars to send it to China and back to me during warranty... ideally I would repair it locally with them covering the costs during the warranty period.. but I would also need their support with schematics and stuff, if need be... so what would happen should they fold their business after I bought it? Decware seems to be more reliable in this regard) will make up my decision...

edit:

Also, given that you bought the dx1000 second-hand.. perhaps it wasn't for the best that the previous owner had changed the stock cable with the ones from Jena, given that the dx1000 has been designed around the characteristics of its own proprietary cable...

Hmmm, that's an old post. I tried these canz with multiple Amps, SS and tubes. They are "seriously" colored, in a bad way. The DX1000s and DB's, are sold because people like their looks. If I had to, I could live with the DB's, just EQ some of that bass out. The DX1000s are really bad though.

Feb 11, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #1,569 of 7,457
I have a serious question, I don't want to post this in the high-end audio forum because it might seem troll-ish over there, but...

How come there's no mention of the D7000s in the high-end audio forum? A lot of people regard them as the best of the closed headphones (not to mention the MSRP is $1k). They're sometimes compared to the HD800s and other 'higher-end' headphones.
confused_face_2.gif

For that matter, I'm not seeing many closed cans in the forum...

Feb 11, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #1,570 of 7,457
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAudioDude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a serious question, I don't want to post this in the high-end audio forum because it might seem troll-ish over there, but...

How come there's no mention of the D7000s in the high-end audio forum? A lot of people regard them as the best of the closed headphones (not to mention the MSRP is $1k). They're sometimes compared to the HD800s and other 'higher-end' headphones.
confused_face_2.gif

My opinion is that while AH-D7000 is a high end headphone, especially for a closed headphone, it does not have the qualities that most people come to associate with a truly high end headphone like: transparency and neutrality. That goes for many other $1000 and over headphones by ATH or Ultrasone. But generally they are all considered or characterized as a "fun" and "colored" headphone.

Feb 11, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #1,571 of 7,457
Quote:

Originally Posted by sling5s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My opinion is that while AH-D7000 is a high end headphone, especially for a closed headphone, it does not have the qualities that most people come to associate with a truly high end headphone like: transparency and neutrality.
It is more characterized as a "fun" bassy headphone.

That's a good point, but I could also ask what is "hi-fi" to you? A fun headphone that really makes you feel the music, or an analytical headphone that doesn't have much soul.

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #1,572 of 7,457
There is a lot of talk about the HD800 in the regular headphone forum too.

I actually think the fact that the Denon can be had for $600 or less has hurt the impression people have of it as a high-end can - having nothing whatsoever to do with its performance.

I personally prefer listening to it over the HD800. There are ways in which the HD800 is clearly superior, though.

Feb 11, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #1,573 of 7,457
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I actually think the fact that the Denon can be had for $600 or less has hurt the impression people have of it as a high-end can - having nothing whatsoever to do with its performance.

I personally prefer listening to it over the HD800. There are ways in which the HD800 is clearly superior, though.

I also agree that denon's general characterization as a fun headphone over the accurate one and with the extreme discounted selling price and often by many non authorized questionable sellings has something to do with it too.

Like HD800, if the price and who sells where more controlled, there would be different opinions.

Feb 11, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #1,574 of 7,457
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That is a good point. I guess the other headphones in the Denon line don't have as positive of an effect on its 'high-endness' as say, the HD650. The D5000 and D2000 aren't held in a very high regard unless you mod them, whereas the HD650 seems to be a king of headphones and a favorite among a lot of people. So naturally, people would look at the next step-up from an HD650 (the HD800) with higher expectations than the next step-up from a D5000 (the D7000).

Feb 11, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #1,575 of 7,457
Denons like the JVCs are quite heavilly coloured... People that are looking for the most transparent sound possible is not that interested in those. Not that strange really. They are also closed headphones on top of that. Even though the Denons are essentially open since they leak so much
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back