Denon AH-D7000
Feb 10, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #1,546 of 7,462
I received my D7000s last Friday and I've been listening to them quite a bit while I burn them in. For most of my music collection, I like the D7000 better than the HD800. When I listen to the D7000, I get deeply involved with my music. When I listen to the HD800, I think about all the audiophile stuff like how big the soundstage is and the separation of images but I don't get into the music nearly as much. Also, I found that the D7000/SPL Phonitor pairing is absolutely great. I originally bought the 7000s to have a good closed can to complement my 800s but now I think the Denons are quickly becoming my favorite headphone. I don't think it's the new toy syndrome either because I've been through many many headphones in my many years of headphone listening.

Feb 10, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #1,547 of 7,462
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveM324 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received my D7000s last Friday and I've been listening to them quite a bit while I burn them in. For most of my music collection, I like the D7000 better than the HD800. When I listen to the D7000, I get deeply involved with my music. When I listen to the HD800, I think about all the audiophile stuff like how big the soundstage is and the separation of images but I don't get into the music nearly as much. Also, I found that the D7000/SPL Phonitor pairing is absolutely great. I originally bought the 7000s to have a good closed can to complement my 800s but now I think the Denons are quickly becoming my favorite headphone. I don't think it's the new toy syndrome either because I've been through many many headphones in my many years of headphone listening.

I'd love to hear your impressions when your T1s arrive. I recently sold my D7000s to help subsidize my new HD800s and the fact that they got very little head time with my T1s.

The D7000s are great cans indeed and the best closed cans I've ever heard!
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #1,548 of 7,462
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The D7000s are great cans indeed and the best closed cans I've ever heard!
biggrin.gif

Just wait, you'll be back buying the 7000s again just the RS1i.
biggrin.gif
The big floorstanding speaker like sound of the D7000 is intoxicating. Admit it, you miss it.
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 10, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #1,549 of 7,462
Quote:

Just wait, you'll be back buying the 7000s again just the RS1i.
biggrin.gif
The big floorstanding speaker like sound of the D7000 is intoxicating. Admit it, you miss it.
bigsmile_face.gif

LOL...I did badly miss the RS1s, but honestly not the D7000s...not yet anyway.

Feb 10, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #1,550 of 7,462
Quote:

I'd love to hear your impressions when your T1s arrive. I recently sold my D7000s to help subsidize my new HD800s and the fact that they got very little head time with my T1s.

Once I get my T1s, I don't expect to keep it and the HD800. I will keep the 7000 as my closed can and it's probably the most fun to listen to regardless of being open or closed. Since I prefer a warm and full body sound, the 800s days in my collection may be numbered. Though experience tells me not to make a rash decision. I think I will live with all 3 (800, 7000, and T1) for quite a while before making a decision on which one will be FS.

OT, how is the RS1i compared to your old RS1.

Feb 10, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #1,551 of 7,462
I have been teaming up the AH-D 7000s with all my equipment trying to learn about how things mix and match. The Woo 5Le is the best combo with the Nuforce USB headphone amp and desktop amp being second. The Woo 3 does not drive them that well. In comparison to my other headphones, k-701s and Bose On-Ears, and Sony MDR 870s they seem the most easy to drive. The Bose are really easy to drive too. I was able to try the HD-650 last week with the Woo Audio 3 and that was a great combo.

Somehow even after demoing the HD-800s the AH-D 7000 are my favorite. There is a personal focus to the music that may not be perfect but just seems fun. I would guess that there is almost too much warmth. Everthing I have done added warmth from adding Virtural Dynamics Master Series interconnects to adding Electriglide Reference powercords. My mids were cleaned up along with added speed that was holding back my system from reaching it's true level.

Powercords and interconnects can not be noticed on some systems. It seems it takes a high level of quality to hear what change they do. This is what has been so dynamic about the AH-D 7000s. The more you throw at them the better they respond. I almost feel that there may be no limit to what they can resolve in detail. The perfect headphone I dream about would have the soundstage of the HD-800s and all the other qualities of the 7000s.

There is a wood cup resonance on the bass that I hear as an added artifact that may drive some people crazy. These people run to the HD-800s with open arms if these type of arifacts drive them mad. After the cables cleaned everything up these wood cup artifacts are more clear than ever. Due to how the AH-D 7000s are tuned these artifacts are not consistant across the spectrum but only reveal themselves upon certain bass mid level tones. I still don't know if these artifacts are a side result of the action of the headphone simply reproducing bass. I think that maybe they are almost like a wood instument amping sound. It is artifical in nature but not always distracting.
These tones are smooth dark polished tones which seem a lot like the physical wood which makes them. I was fully aware they were added to the sound upon my first hearing. What happens is the extra bass tones get put away in the back area of your mind as you get more and more used to the sound.

So this is not real and not true to the music. This is just the added extra to the fun thril of the Denon AH-D 7000 experience. I have heard a pair of Byer 911s in my system from 20 years ago which have no extra bass wood resonance and they made me think of what the Denons would sound like if you started to dewood them. I wonder why we are not seeing carbon fiber and other wood cups to try and detune the Denon experience? I will not ever change a thing in my rig as I like the fake world they color,but it seems that the future is free for mankind who is never ok with just how things are.

I could see Denon using this whole bass tone tune personality to come out with a whole series of headphones which each can color the sound to one aspect tone or another. Each musical instument like a new guitar in the hands of the right person who reads into them the style they reproduce.

How easy are these cups to replace out? I could see many ways of making a change to the sound by the use of different hardwood. There are so many different types of wood in the world. Each wood has it's own natural way of being itself. These bass artifacts may even be in my system alone as I am reaching very low and warm in the tone sound signature. I still need to take the Denons around to other reference systems in the quest to truly understand what they are. There is a place in each piece of music which depending how it is mixed and at what level the bass is mixed the result bass artifact is reproduced by the cups. It really is a reverberation of sorts. Reverberation is by it's nature an artifact and just adds color and a dynamic to an unbodied sound. Try taking some wire and placing it on a board. Now add a reverberation chamber to the board and now we have tone and color. The sound is passing directly threw an open air headphone and out into the air. The sound is bouncing around and is being amplified by the Denon AH-D 7000s. If this type sound technology has been around from years before electricity and somehow is working right along side modern magnetic drivers in the Denon AH-D 7000 headphones.

Feb 10, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #1,552 of 7,462
Quote:

LOL...I did badly miss the RS1s, but honestly not the D7000s...not yet anyway.

You will. I was listening to Stevie Ray Vaughn last night through the D7000 and it was mind boggling good. Then I put on the HD800 and the magic was gone. Sorry but the RS1s don't have the bass power and non fatiguing highs of the D7000. I know, I sold my RS1s and never looked back. Go back and read your posts from a month ago about the 7000s.
evil_smiley.gif
That should bring back some memories of your old 7000s.

Feb 10, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #1,553 of 7,462
Quote:

Once I get my T1s, I don't expect to keep it and the HD800. I will keep the 7000 as my closed can and it's probably the most fun to listen to regardless of being open or closed. Since I prefer a warm and full body sound, the 800s days in my collection may be numbered. Though experience tells me not to make a rash decision. I think I will live with all 3 (800, 7000, and T1) for quite a while before making a decision on which one will be FS.

OT, how is the RS1i compared to your old RS1.

I should hopefully have my new RS1is by Friday. But with USPS and Canada Post you never know.

I know the RS1 sound very well with all of the hours on it and I do plan to post my thoughts on the differences on the RS1i appreciation thread.

beerchug.gif

Feb 10, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #1,554 of 7,462
Quote:

I received my D7000s last Friday and I've been listening to them quite a bit while I burn them in. For most of my music collection, I like the D7000 better than the HD800. When I listen to the D7000, I get deeply involved with my music. When I listen to the HD800, I think about all the audiophile stuff like how big the soundstage is and the separation of images but I don't get into the music nearly as much.

I completely and totally agree with you.

Feb 10, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #1,555 of 7,462
I love my D5000 so much I am thinking of buying D7000, since it is the only headphone I can use in my office and office is the only place I use headphones so I want ultimate closed cans, any other contenders?
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #1,556 of 7,462
so.. do the Denon's do well with tube amps or is solid state more preferable?

I was thinking about picking up a D7000 or D5000 in the future since i might be in a noisy environment, any one know how they compare with the DT990's? xD

Feb 10, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #1,558 of 7,462
Quote:

Originally Posted by jarthel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
got a great deal for these phones for $550 shipped. very happy
smily_headphones1.gif

Where?
darthsmile.gif

Feb 10, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #1,559 of 7,462
Quote:

Originally Posted by David.M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so.. do the Denon's do well with tube amps or is solid state more preferable?

I was thinking about picking up a D7000 or D5000 in the future since i might be in a noisy environment, any one know how they compare with the DT990's? xD

Keep in mind that they do not isolate very well. Consider them "semi-semi-closed". So for a noisy environment, they will not do. As best I recall, Denons react better to SS desk amps.

Feb 10, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #1,560 of 7,462
Steve,
I totally agree with you. If you check some of my posts I have always said that the D7000 were my favorite headphones out of my closed headphones collection and that includesL Edition 9, DX1000, W11JPN and even my WD2000 RL Edition (but these ones are better looking IMO). They are also clearly better than the D5000 I used to own.

Now, speaking about the HD800 I still find them great. I really enjoy the soundstage and holographic presentation of the music. Yes, sometimes the soundstage presentation is too big and maybe borderline not real but I still enjoy it. I have the T1 on order so will see how they compare.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back