Denon AH-D7000
Aug 12, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #7,396 of 7,464
Care to tell us what kind of issue you are troubleshooting?

Due to something one of the previous owners did, there is a channel imbalance when the bass really thumps (may also be causing other problems but I am not savy enough to pick up on it).
bent cup.jpg

I did some experimenting and I'm fairly certain it is due to the black plastic ring is bent and no longer sealing against the wooden cup. Any recommendations on the best way to get the ring to be flat and seal again? More screws? Tape? Bend it back? (Can provide more pictures/context if necessary)

Aug 13, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #7,397 of 7,464
Due to something one of the previous owners did, there is a channel imbalance when the bass really thumps (may also be causing other problems but I am not savy enough to pick up on it).
bent cup.jpg

I did some experimenting and I'm fairly certain it is due to the black plastic ring is bent and no longer sealing against the wooden cup. Any recommendations on the best way to get the ring to be flat and seal again? More screws? Tape? Bend it back? (Can provide more pictures/context if necessary)

Try sealing the gap with Blu Tack before doing anything permanent. If it doesn't' fix the channel imbalance, the driver itself might be at fault. Some FOSTER Biodyna drivers rattle at sub 40Hz frequencies. You can play "Bass Shaker" from The Ultimate Headphones Test to diagnose this issue.

Jan 17, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #7,398 of 7,464
Hey guys - does anyone know is the standard chord in the original Ah-d 7000 is a three core cable, or a four core cable, and therefore suitable to be converted over to a four pin XLR connection to run off my headphone amp (oppo Ha-1) please?

Taking a 3core cable and slapping a four pin on the end of it is going to cause problems I am told!

Cheers,

Adam.

Jan 4, 2022 at 4:36 AM Post #7,399 of 7,464
Hello.
I need help in form of information about the four screws (2 on the left side and 2 on the right side) that keep the part that covers the sliders and also they keep the headband pad on headphones Denon AH-D7000. Usage of even slightly wrong size and type of screwdriver type can lead to irreversible damage of the screws. Basically here is what I need to know:
1. It is turned out that in some places on the Internet people are not sure if these four screws need PH or JIS type of screwdriver. I would like to know the exact screwdriver type that I need to buy for these screws.
2. The size of the screwdriver is also not clear; some people talk about PH0 size, but it looks like it may be PH00, PH0, or even PH1. I need to exactly know what screwdriver the producer uses to screw\unscrew these screws.
3. Some people were advised by others on the Internet to apply some heat to the screws before unscrewing them. It is not clear if it is safe to unscrew these screws just by rotating a screwdriver or do I need to perform some procedure before doing this?
I would appreciate any piece of verified information. E.g. something like this: "You need J0 screwdriver and no heating of the screws." or "You need PH1 screwdriver and heating of the screws by a solderer for ~ 10 sec." would be enough, but again it must be double-checked information.
Here are photos of the screws to make it clear what I'm talking about:
Photo1
Photo2
Thank you very much for your help!

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #7,400 of 7,464
Sometime last year I snagged a pair of beat-up d7000's and I loved the way they sounded but the condition was a little bit much for me. After running around with the x00 line a little and even th900's I re-bought another d7000 that was "pristine". Well pristine was more like "nice shape but with disintegrating headband and disintegrating lips on the ear pads from being stuffed and stretched with cotton.

I bought a new headband pad from full compass; it was not cheap around $45 shipped. If you attempt this job you need to be extremely surgical in removing and re-installing the screws. Loc-tite is recommended and always always always counter-screw to line the bolts up before clockwise screw. The parts are soft as hell aluminum and the bolts are steel with not much meat; this is a recipe for disaster.

Then i went looking for pads, the closest we can get from Fostex is the TH610 pads (About $80). They are not as padded as the original and the ear opening of OG is still larger than the th-610.

I tried Dekoni x00 hybrid elite and they boost too much mid-bass and treble. I bet the midrange also suffered a bit too. They did sound really nice with vinyl listening though which for my rig needed the extra V shape.

I ordered these wang_yifei China pads a month ago and they finally arrived today. These are it chief. The padding is just as thick as OG, the ear opening is larger than X00 style pads but not quite as big as the OG. An improvement over the 610 pads due to less apparent treble bump. The China pads are way more neutral and don't seem to sacrifice the mids. I will admit there is still some treble business going on but it's far less than any previously mentioned pads including the falling apart OG's. Best of all the build quality is better than I expected. Hopefully they last!

Get 'em while you still can! $35 shipped and a SOLID 1 month ship time (thanks ebay "speed-pak")

I don't recommend buying TH900 pads but I would be curious to know how they fare on the old d7k. Largest ear opening, very soft and comfortable.
I don't recommend TH900 pads on the D7000 either. The mids on D7000 were sucked out using the TH900 pads. The D7000s would sound wonky with the TH900 pads.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #7,401 of 7,464
I would like to ask for some wisdom here about the D7000. I bought a pair recently in like-new condition. There is very little scratches on the metal frame and the headband is in excellent condition (not sure if the headband pad has been replaced).

Although there is a problem. One of the screws that mount the cups to the frame was busted. I guess the previous owner did the Lawton mod and busted the screw. See the photo below. Is there anyway to extract that screw without damaging the cup?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

IMG_0471-2.jpg

Jan 16, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #7,402 of 7,464
bent cup.jpg

If you can get the ring off, try using a blow dryer. Or, if you have a heat gun, just be careful if you go with the heat gun...

Jan 17, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #7,403 of 7,464
I would like to ask for some wisdom here about the D7000. I bought a pair recently in like-new condition. There is very little scratches on the metal frame and the headband is in excellent condition (not sure if the headband pad has been replaced).

Although there is a problem. One of the screws that mount the cups to the frame was busted. I guess the previous owner did the Lawton mod and busted the screw. See the photo below. Is there anyway to extract that screw without damaging the cup?

Thanks in advance for any a
Cheaper method providing you have a driver https://www.tooldiscounter.com/product/lisle-extractor-set-screw-lis62900
More expensive, but this is what I use https://www.amazon.com/Moody-Tools-...prefix=moody+phillips+extractor,aps,83&sr=8-1

Jan 20, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #7,405 of 7,464
hello, Has anybody replaced the frame/headband with something like this?

How easy was it to remove the cups from the frame? How do I remove them from the frame?

Thanks
Screenshot 2022-01-21 004655.png

Jan 21, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #7,410 of 7,464
hello, Has anybody replaced the frame/headband with something like this?

How easy was it to remove the cups from the frame? How do I remove them from the frame?

Thanks
Screenshot 2022-01-21 004655.png

Guys, I bought this exact headband on AliExpress a while ago. I wanted to use it as a replacement for my old Hifiman HE6 headband, which is starting to show its age. It does fit the Hifiman HE series, but I cannot say if it also fits a Denon AH-D7000.

In any case, this replacement headband feels much cheaper in person than on pictures. Its height adjustment is about 3-3.5 cm. Fully extended, it sits too high on my head. Also, it rubs and scratches the adjustment mechanism. I cannot recommend this headband. Maybe you should look into an Audeze or ZMF headband instead?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back