Denon AH-D7000
Dec 21, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #1,411 of 7,464
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAudioDude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone have any sibilance issues with the D7000s? Lately I've been noticing quite a bit of sibilance with my setup below; so much so that I've slightly EQ'd them (ahhhh
redface.gif
) in the 7k-14k range. It seems to have helped a bit but it's not really at the point where I can forget about it. I probably have over 225 hours on my D7000s and maybe 100 hours on my WA22.

Would the JMoney ear pads help at all with this? I'm listening to nothing but .flac and it's music like rock, classic rock... Pink Floyd, Nirvana, Simon & Garfunkel, Pearl Jam, Grateful Dead, Neil Young, etc. etc.

Mine had a small amount of sibilance but it was small enough that it didn't bother me (I really hate sibilance). I think the pads would only make it worse from what I have read.

Jan 1, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #1,413 of 7,464
Quote:

Does anyone have any sibilance issues with the D7000s? Lately I've been noticing quite a bit of sibilance with my setup below; so much so that I've slightly EQ'd them (ahhhh
redface.gif
) in the 7k-14k range. It seems to have helped a bit but it's not really at the point where I can forget about it. I probably have over 225 hours on my D7000s and maybe 100 hours on my WA22.

Would the JMoney ear pads help at all with this? I'm listening to nothing but .flac and it's music like rock, classic rock... Pink Floyd, Nirvana, Simon & Garfunkel, Pearl Jam, Grateful Dead, Neil Young, etc. etc.

You're having sibilance issues with tubes and a DL3? Wow. Wouldn't have thought. I would try a different DAC if I were you, but I have no suggestions. Always heard the DL3 was outstanding.

Jan 1, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #1,414 of 7,464
I bought a pair of these on a lark. They were used, and came with JMoney earpads. They sound fantastic. I'm glad to have some Denons back in the stable
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #1,415 of 7,464
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought a pair of these on a lark. They were used, and came with JMoney earpads. They sound fantastic. I'm glad to have some Denons back in the stable
biggrin.gif

You also had the 5000 at one point. Are these cans worth the difference in price over the 5000. Are they the best cans you now own or do you like the JVC better.

Jan 1, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #1,416 of 7,464
Quote:

Originally Posted by woof37 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're having sibilance issues with tubes and a DL3? Wow. Wouldn't have thought. I would try a different DAC if I were you, but I have no suggestions. Always heard the DL3 was outstanding.

Hmm, maybe it's not as bad as I'm making it out to be?
redface.gif
My ears might just be too sensitive for some types of things.

There are songs with absolutely no sibilance that sound perfect on these headphones, but other songs do show a bit of sibilance. It's probably just the artists and type of music I'm listening to. I notice absolutely zero sibilance with movies though...

I'm guessing my source (PC) would have an effect on this too?

I have been itching to try out a tube-based DAC
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 1, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #1,417 of 7,464
Will the D7000s have a problem with the Elekit TU-882 tube amp? I know this is one of the few tube amps that lets you select an impedance range (low, mid, high). I've used IEMs with it before without any problems, but I'm not sure how these D7000s would work out...

Jan 1, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #1,418 of 7,464
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Yah, but I enjoy them even more with my Jenna Labs cable and bubinga wood cups (and J$ pads).
darthsmile.gif

Jan 1, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #1,419 of 7,464
Quote:

Hmm, maybe it's not as bad as I'm making it out to be?
redface.gif
My ears might just be too sensitive for some types of things.

There are songs with absolutely no sibilance that sound perfect on these headphones, but other songs do show a bit of sibilance. It's probably just the artists and type of music I'm listening to. I notice absolutely zero sibilance with movies though...

I'm guessing my source (PC) would have an effect on this too?

I have been itching to try out a tube-based DAC
very_evil_smiley.gif

Try the 96K up-sampling instead of 192K. Also, consider different interconnects. I never experienced sibilance with stock or modded D7000, but your amp's tubes could also make a difference.

Jan 1, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #1,420 of 7,464
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank I /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You also had the 5000 at one point. Are these cans worth the difference in price over the 5000. Are they the best cans you now own or do you like the JVC better.

I do think they are worth the price over the D5000, from what I recall.

But no, I prefer the JVC still, and at least for now, I like the Beyer T1 even better. Of the headphones I own (and excluding my one-off FrankenDarths), I would rank as follows:

1. Beyer T1
2. JVC DX1000
3. Denon D7000
4. Hifiman HE-5

Although all of these are tremendously good headphones.

Jan 1, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #1,421 of 7,464
I can't wait to get these babies...come on April!

Jan 1, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #1,422 of 7,464
Quote:

But no, I prefer the JVC still, and at least for now, I like the Beyer T1 even better. Of the headphones I own (and excluding my one-off FrankenDarths), I would rank as follows:

1. Beyer T1
2. JVC DX1000
3. Denon D7000
4. Hifiman HE-5

Hey Skylab,
I was wondering how you ranked your stable. I would have guessed that you would have picked the HE5 over the Denons. Good to know....
BTW, Where would the HD800's rank?

Jan 2, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #1,423 of 7,464
Quote:

1. Beyer T1
2. JVC DX1000
3. Denon D7000
4. Hifiman HE-5

Interesting the T1 topped the list. Whats are the major differences with the T1 over the Denon 7000

Jan 2, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #1,424 of 7,464
I think it's great that a mostly unmod'd D7000 made the top 4. I haven't heard the T1 or the JVC, but I think that the HE5 has better mids, top-end, and a more accurate low-end than the D7000(which in itself is a step-up from the D5000). That being said, I kept the 7000's and got rid of the HE5's because the bass was too sterile for my taste. With proper mods, I see the 7000's ascending the ranks further. The HE5's seem to be "as good as it gets" in stock form.

To get the low down on the T1, I'd start here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bey...9/index46.html

Jan 2, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #1,425 of 7,464
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmswjm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Skylab,
I was wondering how you ranked your stable. I would have guessed that you would have picked the HE5 over the Denons. Good to know....
BTW, Where would the HD800's rank?

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmswjm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it's great that a mostly unmod'd D7000 made the top 4. I haven't heard the T1 or the JVC, but I think that the HE5 has better mids, top-end, and a more accurate low-end than the D7000(which in itself is a step-up from the D5000). That being said, I kept the 7000's and got rid of the HE5's because the bass was too sterile for my taste. With proper mods, I see the 7000's ascending the ranks further. The HE5's seem to be "as good as it gets" in stock form.

To get the low down on the T1, I'd start here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bey...9/index46.html

I would have ranked the HE-5 over a stock D7000 and my modded D7000 over both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back