Denon AH-D7000
Aug 6, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #1,366 of 7,464
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundlogic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry;
Can you do a comparison with your LA 7000 and the HD 800's?
I have listened to both and I know what MY preference is...just wondering your thoughts?

After I finish my JH13Pro vs ES3X vs UE11Pro review, and my Fidelity-Audio HD600 cable and XLR/RCA cable review, and my JMoney Audio Denon earpad review, and HiFiMan RE3 review, and update my WA22 mini-review...

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #1,368 of 7,464
Quote:

Originally Posted by myk7000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol now that's a head-fi contributor.

I try. I've done my UF-30 review, EF2 DAC/amp review and my LA7000 review in the past 4 weeks. But I bit off more than I can chew when I ran myself ragged at the Colorado meet 2 weeks ago by bringing all my gear/phones. I've turned down a couple of reviews until I can get caught up, but retirement sounds nice too.

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #1,369 of 7,464
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After I finish my JH13Pro vs ES3X vs UE11Pro review, and my Fidelity-Audio HD600 cable and XLR/RCA cable review, and my JMoney Audio Denon earpad review, and HiFiMan RE3 review, and update my WA22 mini-review...

Whoop's!

Aug 11, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #1,370 of 7,464
How do the d7000's compare to the HF-2? I'm thinking of selling my hf-2 for one. Only because I think I'll like the isolation a bit more.

What I listen to.
Jack Johnson
Ben Harper
Jason Mraz

and rock

Bullet for my Valentine
Flaw
Rage against the machine.

Should I keep the hf-2's for the second section? I have no complaints with them in the 2nd section honestly. It's the tight detail and fun of the highs that I miss in the hf-2's. I got that even in my AKG k81dj's. Which are closed and makes the biggest difference. Sloppy bass didn't bother me TOO much. Hard to explain

Aug 11, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #1,371 of 7,464
If you are expecting a high degree of isolation i think you'll be disappointed. They give just a tiny bit of attenuation to external noise. Not enough to make that the deciding factor in their purchase, at least IMHO.

Aug 11, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #1,372 of 7,464
I posted my initial thoughts on the JMoney leather pads in another thread but thought it might be relevant here as well:

I got my new pads yesterday; they do look well made, don't seem much heavier than the stock ones and are certainly stiffer. There are no instructions that are included.

I began by trying to remove the stock pads and one of them came off without too much effort but the other side took significant effort, to the point where I was worried I would damage the pad. After getting it off (no damage done) the next step was to remove the round plastic ring with clips from the pads. You have to stretch the edge of the pleather to remove them and again, given its thinness, I was concerned I might tear the pleather. After taking my time, I was able to remove the rings without any mishap.

The next step was inserting the rings onto the JMoney pads which I did gingerly so as not to tear the leather when stretching it over the plastic. Then came attaching the pads back on the headphones, but I had difficulty getting the clips to "snap" back into place since the inside leather edge acts as a gasket and since the leather is a bit thicker than the pleather, trying to twist it fully into place seemed likely to damage the pads. I ended up not pursuing this and so far, the pads seem to be staying on the headphones fine.

I had not listened to the Denons for over a week, so the first thing I noticed in listening with the new pads was the sound seemed leaner with the upper midrange more prominent. This was not a result I was hoping for since the sound is more fatiguing this way, so I tried a wide collection of songs and sure enough, the leanness remained consistent. Yes, the bass is more defined but it's lost some of the oomph it had before, which I liked. My guess is the change in bass character combined with the increased midrange forwardness is what's giving the modded Denons this lean quality.

Since I only have maybe 70 or so hours on my Denons, I thought perhaps there needs to be some additional break-in since in my experience, the break-in process on any component can vary from starting off sounding better, then sounding worse, then sounding better again before it finally stabilizes. It's usually not a linear transformation. I'll report back when I get another 100 hours or so on them...

Regarding the comfort, my hat size is 7 3/4" so I found the clamping on my head to be more pronounced. Before the change, the headband adjustment was on the 3rd indent but I found I had to move it to the 4th indent after the change. I haven't done any long listening sessions yet to see whether the new pads are as comfortable or breathe as well as the old pads, so we'll see about that later.

Sometimes, an upgrade isn't an upgrade. I certainly hope that's not the case here since I already sold my stock pads. For those who found the stock D7000s too bassy or too warm, the JMoney pads may be your cup of tea. For those who found the sound and comfort of the stock pads pretty much to your liking, well then, the jury is still out...

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #1,373 of 7,464
Why on earth would you sell the stock pads? Keep them for warranty stuff.

Aug 12, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #1,374 of 7,464
Upgrading the pads in no way violates the warranty and besides, there is very little to go wrong with headphones if they're treated properly.

Aug 12, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #1,375 of 7,464
My D7000s just arrived today and I love them. I'll be posting a review sometime... once I'm able to take these off my head
beyersmile.png

Aug 12, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #1,376 of 7,464
I would like to post that mine have really shaped up and the sibilance I heard is virtually gone, it was painful on songs like KarmaComa by Massive Attack. Now its fluid and excellent, and the details are more clear, I didn't believe in burn in or maybe it's because of the source Im not sure but I do know I love it! These are the biggest soundstage can that I have, I am curious at the HD800s to compliment with larger and more detail becuz I fear the electrostatic trap.

These truly are fabulous phones, and negative reviews are most likely by personal taste but they are sweet! I would like to hear some LA7000 before I mod mine at all beside earpads. Curious if it removes what I love best
biggrin.gif

Aug 12, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #1,377 of 7,464
Just wanted to mention a few mods that helped my stock D7000:

I'm another one that comfirms that the JMoney's are both an improvement in sound and comfort.

Running these phones balanced definitely improves clarity, instrument separation and bass control.

A more significant audible upgrade was achieved by recabling with Aural
Harmony's Cryo Gold Alloy wire. The alloy consists of 5n silver, 24K gold, and copper. It plainly smokes the stock cord in all aspects and makes it much more enjoyable to listen to.

The Audio-GD Phoenix is a great way to power these babies thoroughly(with a 4 pin XLR plug).

Aug 12, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #1,378 of 7,464
Quote:

Originally Posted by jwbrent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Upgrading the pads in no way violates the warranty and besides, there is very little to go wrong with headphones if they're treated properly.

Not to be a wise ass, but you've checked with Denon and they told you that modifying the headphones with aftermarket pads does not effect the warranty?

My jmoney pads should be here in a few days. I'm not concerned about my warranty since I've had my 7000's recabled, but I'm not going to get rid of the stock pads. If I ever desire to sell my 7000's having the original pads increases their value. Not to mention that I'd never sell the pads before I determined that the new pads were actually better.

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #1,379 of 7,464
Let me know your take on the pads Yikes, Im excited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back