Denon AH-D7000 , Fostex TH900, Senn HD800, or Audeze LCD 2 or 3 for gaming?
Dec 4, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #16 of 47
I thought that the HD650 were very good for games like BF3 and CS...

For music I would rather have something else but for games the HD650 were excellent

Also the D2000 (similar to D7000) were good but not as good for positioning and soundstage as the HD650.

I agree that for PURELY GAMING those high end headphones are a bit of a waste... If you want music as well then fine but just for gaming the HD650 or similar are more than good enough.

Dec 4, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #17 of 47
I own and have used all of those headphones for gaming.  I've also owned and used the Denon D7000s, HE-400s, HE-500s, PC360, and Q701 for gaming.  I would have to say out of all of them the best for gaming AND music was the HD-800.  The best for gaming was the HD-800.  The best for music, to me at least, is the TH-900, followed by the LCD-3, and then the HD-800.

I am in the process of downsizing my collection but I will be keeping the TH-900s (it fits all genres of music and movies) and the HD-800 (it fills in the gaps of the TH-900 and is amazing for gaming).

But if I only had to own one for EVERYTHING, it would be the HD-800.  But you would have a hard time convincing me to choose and would probably have to pry the TH-900s out of my cold dead hands.

Dec 4, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #18 of 47
The LCD-2 and LCD-3 are unsuitable for gaming.  Poor positional audio.  You will have a hard time figuring out where the sounds are coming from.  The HD-800 is so good at positional audio you can literally close your eyes and know where every single enemy is around you if the game has good positioning itself.  In BF3, I can locate multiple enemies around me through walls without an issue.  The only head phone that I've owned that came close to it was the Q701, but the HD-800 absolutely destroys the Q701 in every other area.  It's not that the Q701 isn't good, it's that the HD-800 is so much better.

Dec 4, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #19 of 47
Quote:
The LCD-2 and LCD-3 are unsuitable for gaming.  Poor positional audio.  You will have a hard time figuring out where the sounds are coming from.  The HD-800 is so good at positional audio you can literally close your eyes and know where every single enemy is around you if the game has good positioning itself.  In BF3, I can locate multiple enemies around me through walls without an issue.  The only head phone that I've owned that came close to it was the Q701, but the HD-800 absolutely destroys the Q701 in every other area.  It's not that the Q701 isn't good, it's that the HD-800 is so much better.

How are the HIFIman for gaming?

The HE-500 more precisely :)

I hope they are not terrible at that as they are great for the muuuusic :D

Dec 4, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #20 of 47
Quote:
I own and have used all of those headphones for gaming.  I've also owned and used the Denon D7000s, HE-400s, HE-500s, PC360, and Q701 for gaming.  I would have to say out of all of them the best for gaming AND music was the HD-800.  The best for gaming was the HD-800.  The best for music, to me at least, is the TH-900, followed by the LCD-3, and then the HD-800.

I am in the process of downsizing my collection but I will be keeping the TH-900s (it fits all genres of music and movies) and the HD-800 (it fills in the gaps of the TH-900 and is amazing for gaming).

But if I only had to own one for EVERYTHING, it would be the HD-800.  But you would have a hard time convincing me to choose and would probably have to pry the TH-900s out of my cold dead hands.

^ This.
HD800 are way overkill but unbeatable for gaming. They lack impact for movies and single player campaigns IMO but for multiplayer they are unmatched. Next would be the k701 followed closely by the PC360. I seldom use good cans for gaming as the convenience of wireless is more important than the benefits of better SQ.

Dec 4, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #21 of 47
Quote:

Some really deep meaty bass extension.

If you're a Dota 2 player like me, skills like Sand King's Burrowstrike will sometimes scare the bejeezus out of you if you're not expecting it, and you will literally feel the rumble of his Epicenter.

Dec 4, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #22 of 47
The HD800 would be a logical recommendation, with the D7000 adding slightly more fun factor to a set that also performs nicely with competitive gaming.

So, Sennheiser HD800, Denon AH-D7000 and Ultrasone Signature Pro are three good recommendations for gaming.

Dec 4, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #23 of 47
I've never been a fan of the Ultrasone house sound myself YMMV. If I had my way I'd use the HD800 for gaming and 70% of the music, the D7000 for movies and single player campaigns and some rock. I owned and sold both eventually getting the LCD-3 which suck for gaming but were great tweener for detail retrieval and fun factor/genre master when the HD800 and D7000 each had one but not the other. 

Dec 4, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #24 of 47
I'll agree that the Ultrasone house sound can be polarizing, but it sure is amazing, and manages to handle both immersive and competitive gaming very well.

Dec 4, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #25 of 47
Quote:

The HE-500 are really good for gaming.  They have good positional audio, great bass impact, and clarity.  The HD-800 beats them on every thing except for bass.  I want to be clear that when I say the HD-800 is better for the things you'd look for in gaming than the HE-500, that doesn't mean the HE-500 isn't an excellent headphone for gaming.  In fact, it is a TREMENDOUS head phone for gaming, but the HD-800 just does specific things better.  

It's scary how accurate the HD-800 is with positional audio and separating the footsteps of enemies scattering around me through the walls on crowded close quarter combat maps in BF3.  I can practically count the amount of people running around me and tell you exactly where they are heading when using the HD-800s.  The Q701 did this as well, but were several steps down in their ability to do so.  If on a budget, I'd highly recommend the Q701 over any other headphone when it came to positional audio and clarity of those sounds.  I would place the PC360 behind the Q701.

Now if you are looking for bass impact, positional accuracy, etc. etc. that changes things.... You could then add in the HE-400 and HE-500, but you shift the focus from positional accuracy to more "umph" in your explosions and gun shots.

Dec 4, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #26 of 47
I've also owned and used the Ultrasone Pro 900s.  Those are also very amazing for gaming, but I don't recall their positional accuracy in comparison to the other headphones I've owned... It's been a while..  But that bass + intense fire fights = grin from ear to ear.

Dec 4, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #27 of 47
If I had to rank it,

For competitive gaming where accuracy in positional audio is king, the HD-800 would be first and foremost...followed by the Q701, then the AD700.

For all around headphones that are amazing and still provide great positional audio, I'd say the HE-500 would be the one for me.

If I didn't own the TH-900s and could only own ONE headphone that could do it all and do it all very well, I'd go with the HE-500.

I don't think another headphone matches that one in its ability to be an all-arounder and come in at such a great price point...

Of course, it's all a matter of perspective.

Dec 4, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #28 of 47
Thanks for responding!

I've actually ordered the Beyerdynamic DT990 600, AKG Q701, K701, Senn PC350 & PC360 and a D7000 in hold from Amazon (Probably a stupid way to try out Headphones, refunds for stuff takes about a month. I'm going to be nearly broke lol). The 990 , Q701, 360 should be coming today.

I am still new to headphones and don't quite know what I'm looking for. I think I'm trying to find that All-Rounder headphone. Also I wanted a headphone for immersive gaming which I forgot to add for the Single Player for Black Ops 2. What are the differences between Immersive and Competitive gaming.

I like to listen to a lot of music too: Rock, Pop, Dubstep, Trance, Metal, Classical / Movie Soundtracks

Quote:
Any other forums and this would be instantly labeled as a troll thread, but since this is head-fi, I'd say HD 800 or go Stax route for positional gaming.

OP already had the MMX300 so recommending the PC360 is not very wise to say the least., since the MMX300 is marginally better.

Still, using $1k+ audio systems for just gaming...not sure if rich parents or awesome paying job.

Dang, I was hoping the PC360 would be better! I already tried the MMX300 and couldn't really tell where they were coming from.

I'm wondering if my problem lies within my current audio card: The Xonar STX....

Dec 4, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #30 of 47
Quote:
Thanks for responding!

I've actually ordered the Beyerdynamic DT990 600, AKG Q701, K701, Senn PC350 & PC360 and a D7000 in hold from Amazon (Probably a stupid way to try out Headphones, refunds for stuff takes about a month. I'm going to be nearly broke lol). The 990 , Q701, 360 should be coming today.

I am still new to headphones and don't quite know what I'm looking for. I think I'm trying to find that All-Rounder headphone. Also I wanted a headphone for immersive gaming which I forgot to add for the Single Player for Black Ops 2. What are the differences between Immersive and Competitive gaming.

I like to listen to a lot of music too: Rock, Pop, Dubstep, Trance, Metal, Classical / Movie Soundtracks

Dang, I was hoping the PC360 would be better! I already tried the MMX300 and couldn't really tell where they were coming from.

I'm wondering if my problem lies within my current audio card: The Xonar STX....

I personally like the PC360 better than the MMX300 as the imaging was better and bass was lighter which made for less effort in extracting details of movement from airstrikes and other such streaks. Based on your music tastes, Blops campaign, and the "all arounder" I'd say D7000 without a doubt. Slap on some JMoney pads and you'll be in good shape. They are no slouch for competitive gaming but lack the accuracy and positional queues needed for a serious online multiplayer competition. But with Blops 2 the lag and spawns are so fuhq'd headphones wont matter.... a SCUF gaming controller might help but not enough.
Quote:
so the Audeze LCD 2 is DEFINITELY a no-go? 

For multiplayer yes, for single player campaigns and movies they are a big win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back