Denon AH-D7000 , Fostex TH900, Senn HD800, or Audeze LCD 2 or 3 for gaming?
Dec 4, 2012 at 6:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

clamchowder01

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I am currently on hold with a DENON AHD-7000 and later today found out about the Fostex TH-900 and Audeze LCD 2 and 3. I heard D7000 is good for gaming through Mad Lust Envy Heaphone Gaming Guide. For the Fostex and Audeze, one review had all 3 and he showed his D7000 sitting in the case (which means it's not as good as Fostex and Audeze).

I have a Asus Xonar STX and will be playing Call of Duty Black Ops 2 mostly. I haven't found any reviews for the Fostex or Audeze that have been used for gaming. Are the positional cues really good for the Fostex and Audeze? I am primarily trying to get good surround sound. I gave my 5.1 speakers to my brother so I am stuck with 2.1 currently.

I bought the Beyerdynamic MMX300 headset which sounded nice but the sound was really overlapped and I had a hard time telling where stuff was coming from in the game.

Also, is the Denon D7100 Headphone better than the D7000 for gaming? How about Sennheiser HD 800?

Thanks!

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:31 AM Post #2 of 47
Sounds like you are spending a lot of money for a gaming hp when very good ones can be had for a fraction of the price of what you are looking at. If gaming is really your primary reason for buying hp's, I would look elsewhere. 

If you're after some serious music reproduction then you got quite a list there and I'll be happy to help based on your music preferences and the sound signature that you're after.

If you questions are mainly geared towards gaming, then you should pm mad lust envy. 

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #3 of 47
Quote:
Sounds like you are spending a lot of money for a gaming hp when very good ones can be had for a fraction of the price of what you are looking at. If gaming is really your primary reason for buying hp's, I would look elsewhere. 

If you're after some serious music reproduction then you got quite a list there and I'll be happy to help based on your music preferences and the sound signature that you're after.

If you questions are mainly geared towards gaming, then you should pm mad lust envy. 

First of all, accurate positional cues are very much desired and recommended, so the OP isn't wrong in seeking higher quality cans.

Second, his questions are geared towards PC gaming, not console gaming, therefore he should PM NamelessPFG instead.

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #4 of 47
The LCD-2 and LCD-3 both have very small soundstages in comparison to many other headphones in a similar price-range (D7000, HD800, and HE-500, specifically). Your primary reason for buying these being gaming, I'd slash those two off the list in an instant.

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #5 of 47
Quote:

First of all, accurate positional cues are very much desired and recommended, so the OP isn't wrong in seeking higher quality cans.

Second, his questions are geared towards PC gaming, not console gaming, therefore he should PM NamelessPFG instead.

Well, if he is not after high end music production this is truly a waste of money. You can obtain a very nice set of "high end" gaming hp's for around $200 instead of $2k. 

Again if you after serious hifi cans for music, pm me and I'll help you with that part. 

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #6 of 47
Quote:

Well, if he is not after high end music production this is truly a waste of money. You can obtain a very nice set of "high end" gaming hp's for around $200 instead of $2k. 

Again if you after serious hifi cans for music, pm me and I'll help you with that part. 

Unfortunately you're quite wrong. High end audio reproduction is needed, just like more accurate positional cues. To correct you further, one can get quite nice "high end gaming" headphones for under $500, but that's not the scope of the OP's inquiry.

Dec 4, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #7 of 47
Well I own the Pro 900, which excell at gaming, but leave much to be desired in the music category.

owever, if your only intention, is gaming then the Pro 900 are excellent at that!

For 500 bucks on Amazon, etc.

Dec 4, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #8 of 47
Quote:
Well I own the Pro 900, which excell at gaming, but leave much to be desired in the music category.

owever, if your only intention, is gaming then the Pro 900 are excellent at that!

For 500 bucks on Amazon, etc.

Indeed, the Pro 900 are surprisingly good for gaming (wasn't expecting to be the case), even for competitive gaming, although they excel at immersive gaming, in my opinion.

From the Ultrasone range, the Pro 900 are good for immersive gaming and a bit of competitive gaming, the Pro 2900 are more balanced and work for both, and both Signature DJ and Signature Pro are balanced options without peaks found on lower models.

Dec 4, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #9 of 47
Quote:

First off, if this is even a remotely serious thread, MattTCG is right.  If your primary purpose is gaming, look no further than the Sennheiser PC350/PC360 line.  Another option is the Logitech G930, which has great surround sound emulation.  With those higher end headphones, even if your secondary intent is music, the STX sound card won't do them justice.  Higher end headphones reap the best benefits from higher end sources and amplifiers.  
Quote:

Unfortunately you're quite wrong. High end audio reproduction is needed, just like more accurate positional cues. To correct you further, one can get quite nice "high end gaming" headphones for under $500, but that's not the scope of the OP's inquiry.

Can't tell if you're being serious or just trolling.  Either way, accurate positional cues can be achieved just as easily by headphones made for gaming versus headphones made with the main intent of hi-fidelity music.  If you intend to spend $1k+ for any type of headphone where your primary intent is gaming, your money (including the money you may spend on a better DAC & Amp) would be better spent on a full blown speaker system, which will always have more accurate positional cues and better surround sound than any headphone you can will ever wear.

Dec 4, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #10 of 47
Quote:
First off, if this is even a remotely serious thread, MattTCG is right.  If your primary purpose is gaming, look no further than the Sennheiser PC350/PC360 line.  Another option is the Logitech G930, which has great surround sound emulation.  With those higher end headphones, even if your secondary intent is music, the STX sound card won't do them justice.  Higher end headphones reap the best benefits from higher end sources and amplifiers.  
Can't tell if you're being serious or just trolling.  Either way, accurate positional cues can be achieved just as easily by headphones made for gaming versus headphones made with the main intent of hi-fidelity music.  If you intend to spend $1k+ for any type of headphone where your primary intent is gaming, your money (including the money you may spend on a better DAC & Amp) would be better spent on a full blown speaker system, which will always have more accurate positional cues and better surround sound than any headphone you can will ever wear.

The Sennheiser PC360 is indeed the best headset geared for gaming. However, for competitive gaming alone, the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 outperforms it by a rather large margin, being even cheaper.

Apparently it must be you who's trolling if you fail to acknowledge that positional cue accuracy isn't exclusive to gaming or music, mind you. It takes a rather large sum of money spent on speakers in order to reach what the best headphones for gaming manage to do.

EDIT: It seems there are a lot of snobophiles that have issues grasping the concept of people using high-end headphones mainly or for the sole purpose of gaming. Here's a protip: such people exist.

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #11 of 47
Quote:

The Sennheiser PC360 is indeed the best headset geared for gaming. However, for competitive gaming alone, the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 outperforms it by a rather large margin, being even cheaper.

Apparently it must be you who's trolling if you fail to acknowledge that positional cue accuracy isn't exclusive to gaming or music, mind you. It takes a rather large sum of money spent on speakers in order to reach what the best headphones for gaming manage to do.

EDIT: It seems there are a lot of snobophiles that have issues grasping the concept of people using high-end headphones mainly or for the sole purpose of gaming. Here's a protip: such people exist.

First off, OP did not ask about positional cue accuracy for anything other than gaming, so I don't see how your point is relevant.
Secondly, the OP mentioned in his post that he is primarily trying to get good surround sound.  While I agree sound quality of a $1k speaker setup may fail to do what the sound quality of a $1k headphone setup can do, if you get a $1k surround sound speaker setup, you will have better surround sound than any headphone can achieve, period.  

The only person with a strong bias here is you, the rest of us are merely speaking in terms of practicality and giving advice based on the original topic.  If you disagree, that's fine, but calling other's opinions wrong and name calling with snobophiles is childish.

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #12 of 47
Quote:
First off, OP did not ask about positional cue accuracy for anything other than gaming, so I don't see how your point is relevant.
Secondly, the OP mentioned in his post that he is primarily trying to get good surround sound.  While I agree sound quality of a $1k speaker setup may fail to do what the sound quality of a $1k headphone setup can do, if you get a $1k surround sound speaker setup, you will have better surround sound than any headphone can achieve, period.  

The only person with a strong bias here is you, the rest of us are merely speaking in terms of practicality and giving advice based on the original topic.  If you disagree, that's fine, but calling other's opinions wrong and name calling with snobophiles is childish.

First of all, positional cue accuracy is a given when it comes to gaming, especially for FPS games, like what the OP strictly pointed out he's playing.

Second, soundstage and imaging play a significant role in terms of surround sound.

I can't help but wonder if you actually do any sort of gaming, since you clearly haven't shown any indication of such.

Think what you will, but at least contribute to the thread rather than doing pointless claims that higher end headphones aren't suited for gaming.

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #13 of 47
Any other forums and this would be instantly labeled as a troll thread, but since this is head-fi, I'd say HD 800 or go Stax route for positional gaming.

OP already had the MMX300 so recommending the PC360 is not very wise to say the least., since the MMX300 is marginally better.

Still, using $1k+ audio systems for just gaming...not sure if rich parents or awesome paying job.

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #14 of 47
Quote:

First of all, positional cue accuracy is a given when it comes to gaming, especially for FPS games, like what the OP strictly pointed out he's playing.

Second, soundstage and imaging play a significant role in terms of surround sound.

I can't help but wonder if you actually do any sort of gaming, since you clearly haven't shown any indication of such.

Think what you will, but at least contribute to the thread rather than doing pointless claims that higher end headphones aren't suited for gaming.

I do game, and actually play the game the OP asked about.

I have both the HD 598 and the HD 800. I use the 598 exclusively because using my 800 makes no sense. The sound in CoD BO2 is not at a quality level where you will be able to extract significantly more detail out of it with a top-tier headphone than you would with something much more inexpensive.

I don't see why you are verbally attacking people for being "snobs" for steering the OP away from expensive headphones. They are simply trying to save the OP from needlessly spending large sums of money only to be disappointed in the results.

Sound-whoring is also significantly more difficult on BO2. You'll be fine with a much more inexpensive option clam :)

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #15 of 47
Quote:
I do game, and actually play the game the OP asked about.

I have both the HD 598 and the HD 800. I use the 598 exclusively because using my 800 makes no sense. The sound in CoD BO2 is not at a quality level where you will be able to extract significantly more detail out of it with a top-tier headphone than you would with something much more inexpensive.

I don't see why you are verbally attacking people for being "snobs" for steering the OP away from expensive headphones. They are simply trying to save the OP from needlessly spending large sums of money only to be disappointed in the results.

Sound-whoring is also significantly more difficult on BO2. You'll be fine with a much more inexpensive option clam :)

It's not just about the quality of the game's sound files themselves, but having better imaging.

Perhaps that other user shouldn't have started throwing names around and posted educated and elaborate answers instead.

Regarding midrange cans, the DT990 works fine, with the previously mentioned AD700 even better for a much lower price :)

The point is that the OP asked for high-end cans, and that was the focus of the recommendations given.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back