Denon AH-D5200 (little brother of the AH-D7200)
Dec 11, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #376 of 815
I've actually owned TH-X00 Purpleheart as well (but I sold those in the Summer). They're great and definitely the bassiest model, but I'd say it comes at a price of muddiness. I actually enjoy the overall sound of D2K with upgraded cups more. Less bloat in the bass which leads to an overall more pleasing sound.

I've been mulling this over all day and with the purple heart so hard to come by I decided (on impulse and gut feeling) to pull the trigger on D2000 that are being sold in the UK.

These are the ones I've bought - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DENON-AH...sid=p2349624.m46890.l49292#vi__app-cvip-panel

What do you think?

Dec 11, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #377 of 815
HD650 too thin? I think most would agree that they're lush/warm. It most likely could've been source etc.

I actually concur with the HD6XX being thin. Maybe thin is the wrong description, but it didn't have heft and fullness - it felt lifeless to me on the Modius and THX 789. It improved a little on tubes (DarkVoice) but I ended up selling it. I said earlier that the D5200 reminded me of the HD6XX - it's not very bassy (though it is boomy with the stock pads and those Custom House ones). After a bunch of pad rolling, I found the perforated protein leather Brainwavz pads to have the best mix of bass and soundstage, with a tamed high end. I first liked Dekoni perf pads but was surprised at the difference between those and the Brainwavz - the Dekonis delivered much thinner and airier sound (to be expected from perf pads) and the treble was right on the line (and sometimes over). But the Brainwavz seemed to be the magic combo for me, the perf pads opened up the soundtstage considerably for me, but did not let out all the bass. The bass is there, it's not muddy but the high end is controlled and I think I've found the right sig (for me). I think I'm now open to keeping them. Headband still sucks, and I may get some Dekoni Nuggets (currently $15 on Drop) or a knitted cover or something.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #378 of 815
I've been mulling this over all day and with the purple heart so hard to come by I decided (on impulse and gut feeling) to pull the trigger on D2000 that are being sold in the UK.

These are the ones I've bought - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DENON-AH...sid=p2349624.m46890.l49292#vi__app-cvip-panel

What do you think?
I cannot stress how awesome the Lawton mod would be for those. Buy the full mod (cups and drivers) but just start with the driver mod first, see how you like it and then try the cup mod if you want that effect. Most people prefer just the driver mod, but I have both and wouldn't change a thing. To be clear, I'm not saying spend hundreds on new cups, just the fuzzy stickers that go into the stock ones.

Dec 11, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #379 of 815
I cannot stress how awesome the Lawton mod would be for those. Buy the full mod (cups and drivers) but just start with the driver mod first, see how you like it and then try the cup mod if you want that effect. Most people prefer just the driver mod, but I have both and wouldn't change a thing. To be clear, I'm not saying spend hundreds on new cups, just the fuzzy stickers that go into the stock ones.

Okay thanks for the heads up. I'll look into it. I've no experience modding any headphone before so I'd be concerned about damaging them.

Edit: I am not dexterous with delicate/intricate handy work due to mild tremors that come with my fine motor skills.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #380 of 815

What do you think?

Those look great! Tbh, I think the best of all of the Foster OEM headphones is the E-MU Teak, then probably Fostex X00 Ebony. I absolutely love the D2000 though and for the price it's basically unbeatable imo. The purpleheart are great if the one and only thing you care about is sheer bass power, but i think the other models tend to handle the rest a lot better without so much bloat on the low end. I have some TH-900 coming in soon so I'm really excited to see how the stronger driver differs from the many other Foster headphones I've tried.

Dec 11, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #381 of 815
Those look great! Tbh, I think the best of all of the Foster OEM headphones is the E-MU Teak, then probably Fostex X00 Ebony. I absolutely love the D2000 though and for the price it's basically unbeatable imo. The purpleheart are great if the one and only thing you care about is sheer bass power, but i think the other models tend to handle the rest a lot better without so much bloat on the low end. I have some TH-900 coming in soon so I'm really excited to see how the stronger driver differs from the many other Foster headphones I've tried.
Yeah I agree - I'm pleased to have seen some positive feedback about them especially given that I'd focussed on the Purpleheart.

The seller is to re-cable with stock cable because my amp is not balanced - I only have a Fiio K5 Pro with a 6.3mm headphone in socket so can't use the aftermarket cable.

The Fiio seems pretty neutral and it puts out circa 1W at 32ohm so it has a bit of power, but I'm hoping to save up for a tube amp and different dac at some point.

Depending on how I think it sounds, I may consider Lawton mod, but I would not do it myself as I don't have steady enough hands!

I've never heard the TH-900 but it's "a dream of mine" to own a pair, I'm interested to know your thoughts.

Dec 11, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #382 of 815

The TH-X00 Purpleheart does have a little bloat... but Lawton driver damping and different pads with custom attenuators noticeably improve it along with gaining better separation and clarity. That absolute enormous subbass presence simply doesn't exist on anything else I've heard though the Campfire Cascade is close... that can has other issues though.

Dec 11, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #383 of 815
The TH-X00 Purpleheart does have a little bloat... but Lawton driver damping and different pads with custom attenuators noticeably improve it along with gaining better separation and clarity. That absolute enormous subbass presence simply doesn't exist on anything else I've heard though the Campfire Cascade is close... that can has other issues though.
If purpleheart appears on drop and I have the money then I will pick up a pair. I would like to experience the subbase and see if that model fits my audio preference.

Dec 11, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #384 of 815
I actually concur with the HD6XX being thin. Maybe thin is the wrong description, but it didn't have heft and fullness - it felt lifeless to me on the Modius and THX 789. It improved a little on tubes (DarkVoice) but I ended up selling it. I said earlier that the D5200 reminded me of the HD6XX - it's not very bassy (though it is boomy with the stock pads and those Custom House ones). After a bunch of pad rolling, I found the perforated protein leather Brainwavz pads to have the best mix of bass and soundstage, with a tamed high end. I first liked Dekoni perf pads but was surprised at the difference between those and the Brainwavz - the Dekonis delivered much thinner and airier sound (to be expected from perf pads) and the treble was right on the line (and sometimes over). But the Brainwavz seemed to be the magic combo for me, the perf pads opened up the soundtstage considerably for me, but did not let out all the bass. The bass is there, it's not muddy but the high end is controlled and I think I've found the right sig (for me). I think I'm now open to keeping them. Headband still sucks, and I may get some Dekoni Nuggets (currently $15 on Drop) or a knitted cover or something.
Is it this one that you tried?

https://www.amazon.ca/Brainwavz-Rou...perforated+leather&qid=1607737254&sr=8-9&th=1

I think I had the non-perforated one but maybe I should give the perforated one a try. Though I just wish it was angled. I remember when I tried the non-perforated one the fit and seal isn't the best.

I have the D2000 and so far I've tried TH-X00 pad, TH610 pad, TH900 pad, Brainwavz Round Pleather, Geekria, Yaxi TH610/TH900 pleather, and AHG perforated sheepskin. They all have their pros and cons so I'm still searching for the perfect pad. Currently I still enjoy the stock pad the best despite it flaking and leaving black crumbs on my ear all the time, closest second at the moment is TH610 pad, third closest for me right now is Yaxi pad but I don't like how they angle up and down as oppose to forward and back.

Hopefully I'll find something one day lol.

Dec 12, 2020 at 1:55 AM Post #385 of 815
Is it this one that you tried?

https://www.amazon.ca/Brainwavz-Round-Replacement-Memory-Earpads/dp/B08CH6L718/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=brainwavz+round+perforated+leather&qid=1607737254&sr=8-9&th=1

I think I had the non-perforated one but maybe I should give the perforated one a try. Though I just wish it was angled. I remember when I tried the non-perforated one the fit and seal isn't the best.

I have the D2000 and so far I've tried TH-X00 pad, TH610 pad, TH900 pad, Brainwavz Round Pleather, Geekria, Yaxi TH610/TH900 pleather, and AHG perforated sheepskin. They all have their pros and cons so I'm still searching for the perfect pad. Currently I still enjoy the stock pad the best despite it flaking and leaving black crumbs on my ear all the time, closest second at the moment is TH610 pad, third closest for me right now is Yaxi pad but I don't like how they angle up and down as oppose to forward and back.

Hopefully I'll find something one day lol.
Yep, those are the ones (though I ordered from Brainwavz direct... just make sure you measure the size and get the right ones). For some reason, at the time i wanted to try different colors so I have red and white pads, which look a little weird but they work.

Dec 12, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #386 of 815
Yep, those are the ones (though I ordered from Brainwavz direct... just make sure you measure the size and get the right ones). For some reason, at the time i wanted to try different colors so I have red and white pads, which look a little weird but they work.
lol still wish they make angled version of the same pad, but otherwise thanks for letting me know!!!

Dec 12, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #387 of 815
Made spacer rings to fit TH-X00 sized pads on the AH-D5200 yesterday. Used yogurt/cottage cheese container lids. Roll of tape (thin one) used to trace inside circle and just cut out to the inside lip edge of each top for the outer diameter. Notched as needed to fit the stock clip points. Basically just need outside diameter to match to the edge of the metal cup housing diameter for TH-X00 sized pads.

i-rhxzWns.jpg

i-7tgXXFq.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #388 of 815
The more I listen with the Yaxi Alcantara's the more I'm really digging the AH-D5200... the sound is like a really good combination of the Fidelio X3 with TH-X00 Purpleheart. Headband is liveable, but still would like more comfort and the cups really need to be reworked so can actually see the zebrawood in its true glory. But yeah, honestly may be nearly good enough for a replacement to the TH-X00 Purpleheart...

i-Kpp8Qhc.jpg

Album currently enjoying some glorious low end, beautiful vocals, and lovely detail on...

e012a75d.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #390 of 815
The more I listen with the Yaxi Alcantara's the more I'm really digging the AH-D5200... the sound is like a really good combination of the Fidelio X3 with TH-X00 Purpleheart. Headband is liveable, but still would like more comfort and the cups really need to be reworked so can actually see the zebrawood in its true glory. But yeah, honestly may be nearly good enough for a replacement to the TH-X00 Purpleheart...

i-Kpp8Qhc.jpg

Album currently enjoying some glorious low end, beautiful vocals, and lovely detail on...

e012a75d.jpg
Cool to know that ! Does Yaxi Alcantara fit well to D5200 , easy to fix ? How much is this pad?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back