Denon AH-D5200 (little brother of the AH-D7200)
Jul 10, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #61 of 815
The 5200 should be at level of a th900 or TH-X00 driver Because instead of the faster carbon mix diaphragm of the 7200,
it is using a paper type (biocelulouse typr) diaphragm, similar to those Fostex drivers.
The reason it should still be superior is because of the wider voice coil and newer/larger magnet structure compaired to the Fostex.

So it should be a top mid-tier performer.

Better FR but 7200 resolution should still be higher.

Jul 12, 2018 at 5:17 AM Post #62 of 815
Im very sad. I planned to build a new "2.5mm TRRS 4 pol. to 2x 3.5 mm MONO " cable for the 5200er this weekend. I did not look close and carefully enough to the 3.5mm connectors on the phones. So i ordered connectors that dont fit into the headphone. The connections of the headphones are sitting deeper in the housing. The REAN plugs are to wide. Lesson learned.

I really like the rean connectors... but i can't use them for the 5200er. Now i have to wait a couple of weeks till i receive some slim mono connectors from China.

IMG_E3264.JPG

this should do the job:

slim con.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #63 of 815
My review of the Denon AH-D5200:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/denon-ah-d5200.23207/reviews

If you have any questions/suggestions or have a different experience with the 5200 please let me know.

Im not happy with my Fotos. Especially the light-conditions are very bad. Im going to improve soon. But i hope that the pics are capable enough to get some impressions about the headphone .

*** Custom Headphone Cables ***
- parts are slowly incoming

For the meantime use and review i just bought the only 2.5 TRRS balanced cable i can find with fast delivery. Its good and sturdy build but stiff as hell and too long (2m) for portable use.

IMG_3270.JPG Denon AH-D5200_24.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #64 of 815
My review of the Denon AH-D5200:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/denon-ah-d5200.23207/reviews

If you have any questions/suggestions or have a different experience with the 5200 please let me know.

Im not happy with my Fotos. Especially the light-conditions are very bad. Im going to improve soon. But i hope that the pics are capable enough to get some impressions about the headphone .

*** Custom Headphone Cables ***
- parts are slowly incoming

For the meantime use and review i just bought the only 2.5 TRRS balanced cable i can find with fast delivery. Its good and sturdy build but stiff as hell and too long (2m) for portable use.

Nice thorough review!

Jul 24, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #65 of 815
Arrrrr.... still waiting for a bunch of 2.5 TRRS plugs so i can finally swing the soldering iron and test my skills.

But i could not wait without balanced listening through my AK70 MKII and bought this cable:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/99-series-2-5-balanced-cable.23217/reviews

Very nice 2.5 TRRS balanced cable. Plugs are clicking nicely into the Ah-D5200 female connectors. They are thin and lightweight. I really like the minimalistic design.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #66 of 815
Really wanna try these.
It is advertised as a portable king, same as beyerdynamic t5p 2nd gen.
Besides denon website, any other retailers from United States?
Curious how is this compare to T5p 2nd gen, massdrop thx00, and fostex th610.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #67 of 815
I dont understand why its so silent about this awesome headphone.

The build and design is very well done. Every part got its function. No fancy complex construction parts added. No crackling of the parts. Earpads are comfy and of course the phones got a nice sound quality (to my ears). The adjustment of the headphone is great. Who wants spongie, self-adjusting bands that make noises if you nod and can wear out after some time? The 5200 is a good example of how a well build headphone has to be done.

I also recognized that supply of this specific model is very thin.

Regarding the Massdrop models of the Fostex headphones. I threw an eye on the purple and black version of the TR-X00 series. But adding tax and customs duty make it very expensive. I really would like to hear one.

IMG_3561.JPG

Aug 17, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #68 of 815

e*earphone have a YouTube video - it's in Japanese.
My Japanese is too basic to offer a translation sorry.

Aug 17, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #69 of 815
IMG_E3563.JPG

Switching between Ak70 MKII and Plenue D a bit. The EQ of the Plenue D is very nice to have, especially if theres a song where you want that extra portion of bass.

Example: 50 cent "In Da Club" (this song sounds better with enhanced bass)

AK70 MKII (no EQ): Very good sound quality, crisp and punchy... but the deep thumping bass is missing.

Plenue D: Wow. The enhanced bass using the EQ makes a real enjoyable hiphop sound out of it.

(A shame that iRiver (A & K) refuse to emplement their awesome EQ they used in their old MP3-players).
That would be a killer feature. But the princesses and princes of iRiver are not amused. How dare a peasant asking for having fun being able to make big changes (in know theres a slight use of the EQ) to the sound signature sometimes. Do you think Cowon will get rid of their EQ in their higher tier Daps? Noooo. They exactly know that boys and girls wanna have fun. Hiby players... eightball eq? There must be a reason for it.)

Make the test for yourself with the above mentioned song. If im wrong im sure there will be a special circle of hell reserved for me. :imp:

IMG_E3571.JPG

Sep 15, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #72 of 815
Cross-posting here.

I shortly listened to a D5200 vs a D7200 (both stock). First impressions:
- the stock D7200 did not have the midrange peak my unit had before mods. It sounded really good.
- the D5200 sounds similar, but IMHO the D7200 is about that much better as the price would indicate, in bass extension/resolution, overall musical resolution, the richness of the timbre etc.
- the D5200 headband is softer but narrower, not necessarily much more comfortable on my head, but the principle is better
- the D5200 pads look similar, but the foam inside has slightly different shape and reminded me to the mods I made on the D7200 pads (less high in the back, therefore more comfortable, too).
- I wondered how the D5200 pads would sound on the D7200. IMHO they sounded better than the stock D7200 pads.
I think it's not a big investment to try D5200 pads on the D7200. Maybe some would like and others would dislike, but they sound enough different that it will suit different genres better.
I will certainly try them and come back with more thorough impressions and perhaps measurements.

Then some interesting information (call it rumor until confirmed) about the coming D9200. What I heard is that it will have a different driver, much bigger, like 72-76 mm diameter, like a loudspeaker driver rather than a headphone driver. The person listened to it in comparison with the D7200, and the D9200 has bigger sound stage, tighter and more extended bass, and more linear treble. Sounds like the Denon headphone everyone is waiting for...

Nov 29, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #75 of 815
I prefer the D7200, a friend prefers the D5200. Both of us have [had] a lot of headphones and experience with them. Ultimately there is no easy way out, you should find a way to listen to it yourself.
FWIW it is hard to imagine not to prefer the D9200 over both, but then price has power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back