Denon AH-D5200 (little brother of the AH-D7200)
Apr 20, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #17 of 815
LOL the price is not great. You can have D7200 cheaper.

Apr 20, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #20 of 815
Interesting you say that Phil. Maybe we should view the 5200 not as a little brother but an improved version with a price to reflect that. I will certainly try to listen to them and see how they compare when I have the opportunity.

Apr 20, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #22 of 815
I'm waiting for those to come over from Germany next week. Will report in terms of headband comfort (a real flaw on the 7200) as well as sound differences between the two.
The headband on the D7200 that I had was so bad, I literally thought it was broken. Except it wasn't. :confounded:

Apr 20, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #23 of 815
These are now available in the UK and sound in my opinion better than the AH-D7200. More balance through the entire available frequency range.
Better balanced frequency Response is great.
Hopefully it is also as resolving at the 7200.

It would be a great help if anyone could post a close up of the driver to see what the diaphragm looks like.

Visual inspection would immediately tell if it may be Either of:
1**- the very natural sounding biocelulous/paper type, Or ,
2**- of a different sounding but high performing metal/mineral coated ploymer/plastic type, (like what Focal use).

LOL the price is not great. You can have D7200 cheaper.
Its depends.
If you are impatient and order overseas from that link,
it can come out to around $700 US.
Not sure about other countries.

I would wait untill the proper chain of local distributors, get the headphones first.
So can buy local for cheaper.

Also, you must buy from an Authorized dealer...
Denon company currently has a different policy with these new models, unlike older Denon headphones, where you could order parts.

They offer no Service Parts for these new models.
You blow them, you loose them.

Defective/broken units are for exchange only, under warranty only.

That means if it is under warranty,
they will swap/exchange it for a completely new one only.
No repairs.

Thats right, no parts and no repair and Only warranty replacement,
from Authorized sellers only.

So make sure the seller is an Authorized seller,
or you have zero warranty and worse, zero repair ability.

My guess for this descision is because they have distribution control problems.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #24 of 815
I’d really like to know also about the headband; surely Denon could see with the 7200 that they’d somehow allowed a godawful headband to make it all the way through to the actual final product?! I want to know if it actually follows the contours of the head anymore as well, thus removing itself from that growing club of cans that come with the added bonus of making oneself look like a dick - looking at you Cascade ......

Apr 21, 2018 at 4:00 AM Post #25 of 815
Better balanced frequency Response is great.
Hopefully it is also as resolving at the 7200.

It would be a great help if anyone could post a close up of the driver to see what the diaphragm looks like.

Visual inspection would immediately tell if it may be Either of:
1**- the very natural sounding biocelulous/paper type, Or ,
2**- of a different sounding but high performing metal/mineral coated ploymer/plastic type, (like what Focal use).

Its depends.
If you are impatient and order overseas from that link,
it can come out to around $700 US.
Not sure about other countries.

I would wait untill the proper chain of local distributors, get the headphones first.
So can buy local for cheaper.

Also, you must buy from an Authorized dealer...
Denon company currently has a different policy with these new models, unlike older Denon headphones, where you could order parts.

They offer no Service Parts for these new models.
You blow them, you loose them.

Defective/broken units are for exchange only, under warranty only.

That means if it is under warranty,
they will swap/exchange it for a completely new one only.
No repairs.

Thats right, no parts and no repair and Only warranty replacement,
from Authorized sellers only.

So make sure the seller is an Authorized seller,
or you have zero warranty and worse, zero repair ability.

My guess for this descision is because they have distribution control problems.
http://homeavdirect.co.uk/denon-ah-d7200-reference-over-ear-headphones

So that is 549 GBP for 5200 vs 439 GBP for 7200... in same country and currency.

BTW I bought from linked shop my D7100 fist years ago at similar great price and now D7200 some months ago.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #28 of 815
Received those today. Preliminary impressions are: comfort -> huge improvement on the 7200 headband-wise, they're also a bit lighter, so both factors combined make wearing them for a long time a non-issue.

Sound: they're fresh out of the box so keep that in mind. Trebles are a tad more extended vs 7200, resulting in them sometimes flirting with being sibilant, but never getting there. But, if that doesn't tame down with burn-in, brain or mechanical, they could eventually seem fatiguing after a while for some. Will report if I perceive any changes on that.
Rest of the spectrum is pretty close to the 7200 signature. Lows are certainly not lacking, and they're still not boomy :wink:

Apr 26, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #29 of 815
I want to know if it actually follows the contours of the head anymore as well, thus removing itself from that growing club of cans that come with the added bonus of making oneself look like a dick - looking at you Cascade ......
Yep! One of the ugliest headbands of any headphone. Not sure what Ken was thinking with that one. :jecklinsmile:

Apr 26, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #30 of 815
Received those today. Preliminary impressions are: comfort -> huge improvement on the 7200 headband-wise, they're also a bit lighter, so both factors combined make wearing them for a long time a non-issue.

Sound: they're fresh out of the box so keep that in mind. Trebles are a tad more extended vs 7200, resulting in them sometimes flirting with being sibilant, but never getting there. But, if that doesn't tame down with burn-in, brain or mechanical, they could eventually seem fatiguing after a while for some. Will report if I perceive any changes on that.
Rest of the spectrum is pretty close to the 7200 signature. Lows are certainly not lacking, and they're still not boomy :wink:

It would be really helpful if you could possibly post a photo of these on-head, from the front. I need to see if they arc out-horizontal from the head like the 7200.
When you say they’re more comfortable headband-wise than the 7200 it’s that that I’m presuming you’re referring to ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back