Denon AH-D5200 (little brother of the AH-D7200)
Feb 20, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #496 of 815
My 5200s arrive yesterday,and have been using them for about 5 hours.This is my second pair,I had some open box from amazon about 9 months ago that I think had a defect with one of the drivers as the sound was a bit off.
My new pair are really good.I feel the headband,but not enough to create a hotspot.They are lighter than I remember,and the stock pads are comfortable.I am looking at settling down with one or two pairs of headphones and think these are keepers.
In comparison to the Sony mdr-z7s I own - the bass on the Sonys is deeper,but not as controlled as the denons.The mids and treble on the denon are a bit more forward and detailed to me,but not in a bad way.The Sonys have a warmer sound.Both headphones are really well built.Both are comfortable,but the Sonys are like having 2 pillows on your head - the most comfortable headphones I have ever had.
I have some fostex th00x ebonys arriving next week that were an impulse buy as I have already owned the purplehearts and mahoganys.The Denons are definitely being kept.so at the moment looks like the ebonys will be a quick listen and sell on.
Give them time to the procces of burn in (or simply mental burn in). When I was trying the 9200s, I listened to some random metal or symphonic rock songs and found them "shouty". Then, I went with the typical audiophile songs and loved the sound and it's particular register.

Now, that I have been for almost two months with the 9200s, I have tried recently most of my metal and symphonic rock albums, and although I still dislike the sound of a few albums with the 9200s (I prefer, for example, the Beyer DT 1990 Pro for those albums), I really love most of my metal and symphonic rock library with the 9200s (now, I'm listening to "The Wall" and loving it).

Maybe it was a physical burn in of the headphones or my brain accostumed to it's register. The bass is really incredible.

I'm glad you are liking and enjoying the 5200s :beerchug:

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #497 of 815
Give them time to the procces of burn in (or simply mental burn in). When I was trying the 9200s, I listened to some random metal or symphonic rock songs and found them "shouty". Then, I went with the typical audiophile songs and loved the sound and it's particular register.

Now, that I have been for almost two months with the 9200s, I have tried recently most of my metal and symphonic rock albums, and although I still dislike the sound of a few albums with the 9200s (I prefer, for example, the Beyer DT 1990 Pro for those albums), I really love most of my metal and symphonic rock library with the 9200s (now, I'm listening to "The Wall" and loving it).

Maybe it was a physical burn in of the headphones or my brain accostumed to it's register. The bass is really incredible.

I'm glad you are liking and enjoying the 5200s :beerchug:
What got me was when I listened to hiphop. I didn't know such basses was in the hiphop tracks before hand. I got Tidal, and there's a lot of hiphop I can try out, and I realized this after rotating various hiphop tracks.

For the time being, I'm happy with my OG 6-screw HE-6 for good open-back planar bass.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #498 of 815
My 5200s arrive yesterday,and have been using them for about 5 hours.This is my second pair,I had some open box from amazon about 9 months ago that I think had a defect with one of the drivers as the sound was a bit off.
My new pair are really good.I feel the headband,but not enough to create a hotspot.They are lighter than I remember,and the stock pads are comfortable.I am looking at settling down with one or two pairs of headphones and think these are keepers.
In comparison to the Sony mdr-z7s I own - the bass on the Sonys is deeper,but not as controlled as the denons.The mids and treble on the denon are a bit more forward and detailed to me,but not in a bad way.The Sonys have a warmer sound.Both headphones are really well built.Both are comfortable,but the Sonys are like having 2 pillows on your head - the most comfortable headphones I have ever had.
I have some fostex th00x ebonys arriving next week that were an impulse buy as I have already owned the purplehearts and mahoganys.The Denons are definitely being kept.so at the moment looks like the ebonys will be a quick listen and sell on.
If you don't mind, please let me know should you sale the Ebony.

Feb 20, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #500 of 815
Would love to own/try the 9200s but they are out of my price bracket (or what I am prepared to pay).

Very happy with my 7200s, But would love to give the 9200s an audition, even though they are too rich for my blood.

Just one session though.. :)

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #501 of 815
Received the 5200s yesterday. Not bad, fairly neutral, yet fun and engaging. I'm hearing a slight fog/haze, not very resolving, some grain in there.
Now I'm very interested in the 7200. Can anyone give me a brief breakdown comparing the two? I understand that the 7200 has better quality/quantity bass, and it should be more detailed and resolving. What worries me is the treble. It's generally described as soft and muted. Just how rolled off is it in comparison to the 5200? I don't mind a slightly dark signature, but definitely not overly so. My idea of too dark would be the NightOwl. I prefer the presence region to be relatively neutral, but still offer some space and air. Also, is the imaging improved on the 7200? I find the instrument separation just okay with the 5200. Any additional information would be greatly appreciated!

Feb 27, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #502 of 815
So, i am confused about the bass in the 5200 and the 7200. Which one has more bass quantity? Some say, the 5200 and some the 7200 (like damir franc on youtube).

From reading this thread, my opinion is, that both has emphasised bass, but the bass on the 5200 does have a midbass emphasis, which can be bloated sometimes and the 7200 has a more controlled bass. Is this correct?

I like v-shaped headphones. Right now, i am using a B&O H6 2nd gen. I would like to have an upgrade with more soundstage, so i was thinking about buying the 7200.

I owned the meze 99 classic and neo in the past, but both were a little bit thick in the bass, so i think, the 5200 wouldn´t be the best option for me.

Does anybody have experience with the 5200 vs. 7200 (and maybe meze 99 classic/neo or b&o H6) and could give me a little bit input here.

Thanks!

Feb 27, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #503 of 815
So, i am confused about the bass in the 5200 and the 7200. Which one has more bass quantity? Some say, the 5200 and some the 7200 (like damir franc on youtube).

From reading this thread, my opinion is, that both has emphasised bass, but the bass on the 5200 does have a midbass emphasis, which can be bloated sometimes and the 7200 has a more controlled bass. Is this correct?

I like v-shaped headphones. Right now, i am using a B&O H6 2nd gen. I would like to have an upgrade with more soundstage, so i was thinking about buying the 7200.

I owned the meze 99 classic and neo in the past, but both were a little bit thick in the bass, so i think, the 5200 wouldn´t be the best option for me.

Does anybody have experience with the 5200 vs. 7200 (and maybe meze 99 classic/neo or b&o H6) and could give me a little bit input here.

Thanks!
I own the 5200, and have the 7200 on the way... If usps can ever get their $hit together. I feel that the 5200 has a relatively neutral response, and that the bass is pretty flat. I also have the H6, modded for balanced use. In all honesty, I believe it's one of the best cans you can get in the 500 and under price range. I'd sell the 5200 before the H6. To my ears, the H6 is slightly more resolving with a bit better imaging. The 5200 is a little more forward sounding overall. I don't think the 5200 is worth the original retail price. It's a stellar build though. From what I've read, the 7200 should have greater resolving capabilities, and a decent extra dose of sub bass. The only thing I'm concerned about is just how rolled off the treble actually is. For what it's worth, I don't feel that the H6 or 5200 offers a V shaped sound signature. You might want to look into one of the Fostex cans, excluding the Teaks.

Feb 27, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #504 of 815
I own the 5200, and have the 7200 on the way... If usps can ever get their $hit together. I feel that the 5200 has a relatively neutral response, and that the bass is pretty flat. I also have the H6, modded for balanced use. In all honesty, I believe it's one of the best cans you can get in the 500 and under price range. I'd sell the 5200 before the H6. To my ears, the H6 is slightly more resolving with a bit better imaging. The 5200 is a little more forward sounding overall. I don't think the 5200 is worth the original retail price. It's a stellar build though. From what I've read, the 7200 should have greater resolving capabilities, and a decent extra dose of sub bass. The only thing I'm concerned about is just how rolled off the treble actually is. For what it's worth, I don't feel that the H6 or 5200 offers a V shaped sound signature. You might want to look into one of the Fostex cans, excluding the Teaks.
Thank you so much for this. So you say, that the 5200 isn't really an upgrade alternative to the h6?
Could you please give me some info about h6 vs 7200 (vs 5200), when you get your 7200? That would be awesome.
I really like the tonality of the h6 and i am searching for a headphone, which shares the tonality and sound quality but with a bigger soundstage

Feb 27, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #505 of 815
Thank you so much for this. So you say, that the 5200 isn't really an upgrade alternative to the h6?
Could you please give me some info about h6 vs 7200 (vs 5200), when you get your 7200? That would be awesome.
I really like the tonality of the h6 and i am searching for a headphone, which shares the tonality and sound quality but with a bigger soundstage
Will do.

Feb 28, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #506 of 815

Thanks!
AH-D5200 has no real particular low end emphasis (does subbass equally well as midbass) and is not bloated at all compared to a Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart... has better subbass extension, cleaner & tighter presentation, but not quite as much impact. This is with both stock and Yaxi TH610 Alcantara pads - the Yaxi pads have a bit more lowend presentation and smooth out the treble a bit...my preference over the stock pads. Have not heard one, but the AH-D7200 is supposed to be the more bloated lowend one of all the new AH-D series Denon's along with the most rolled off treble.

I replaced my beloved TH-X00 Purplehearts with the Denon AH-D5200... it's just overall better and cleaner sounding with not quite the same subbass level as the Fostex. Even though it can be fun, I can live without the massive subbass of the Purplehearts when everything else is noticeably better... even and very well balanced but still fun sounding is how I'd describe the AH-D5200.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #507 of 815
I own D5200 since last 2 month, i like the tuning over my meze99. Just to share that crinacle.com have done the test and measurement update for fostex series headphones. Check his website for graph comparison tool found it is fun to compare denon 5200,7200,9200 vs fostex 610, 900,909.

below share crinacle's website fr graph Denon D5200 vs Fostex TH610:
5200 vs 610.jpg

another photo share D5200 vs Senn HD560s, mid and high looks very near:

New Bitmap Image.jpg

Mar 7, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #509 of 815
The D5200 sounds very good with the Jot2/BF2 combo. Denon headphones in general need more appreciation from the headphone community. I'm just blown away how open and spacious this closedback headphone is. Using Balance input and output on the Schiit Jot2/BF2 can easily be my budget endgame. Hopefully one day, I can obtain a D9200.

Mar 7, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #510 of 815
Has anyone performed any driver or cup swaps with any of the Denon headphones? I have a like new 5200, and my 7200 has more wear and tear on it.
Has anyone replaced the pads on these? If so, which pads are you liking/using? Do we which wood type are used on these cups - 5200 and 7200? If Denon took the best attributes from each of these headphones and combined them, it would be a fantastic can.
I kinda like the immediacy of the 5200 over the softer sound of the 7200, but I really like the imaging, detailing, and soundstage of the 7200. I have to say, I'm a little disappointed with the sub bass extension of both of these headphones. I guess I was expecting more from the 7200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back