Denon AH-D5200 (little brother of the AH-D7200)
Mar 13, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #526 of 815
I can grab used D5200 for $350 and am thinking to take that just to try it out, but then I have to deal with selling it if it doesn't work and probably taking a small loss. Not the end of the world. I can grab some from Amazon warehouse but it then becomes closer to $600 and while returns are much easier, if I do like them I'd need to wait for another used deal to pop up and return them anyway (No point in paying almost double)

I can try to find a deal on a used D7200 but those aren't nearly as common and still in the $600. Not too bad, might go this route if people here think those work better for my needs. Can try the LSA route Mhog suggested but I'm finding nothing about the headphones and am worried about diving into something with so little info.

--------------
Either way you guys have cleared some things up for me so thanks for the replies so far :] I appreciate the help! If I end up trying the D5200's your sure to see my impressions in this thread. I'll take the night and sleep on it, think it over and try to figure out what I want to do... Hopefully before that used deal goes away. I wish I didn't miss the Black Friday sale but such is life lol
I mean for $350 it is still a great headphone. I know that at $600-$700 it is a harder sell but it really comes across as something of value once you drop under $500. At least that is the impression that I have gotten from a bunch of people here. Then I think about headphones that I have listened to in the $300 range and the others that I own and the 5200 is definitely king. Granted some newer stuff has come out since I last went deep into the $300 range but it seems like it is barely a risk at $350 since the used market can easily go for that or higher(I imagine even despite the black friday sale)

Mar 13, 2021 at 5:12 AM Post #527 of 815
I don't feel this is the case. The upper mids of the Bird family are dark in comparison, and the low mids are quite a bit warmer in nature. Warm and dark vs relatively neutral.
Yeah...just goes to show how we all hear differently. My impressions align with yours; sold my Nighthawks for this very reason as they were too warm and dark for me

Mar 17, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #529 of 815
Just got these, first impressions: They are almoooooost what I was hoping they would be. So so soo close.

Only testing the Hip-hop/Rap songs Id normally listen to so far and:

Bass: Preeeetttyyyyyy sweet. Not the cleanest, but a really satisfying impact and its much much fuller then I was expecting. No complaints, loads of fun.
Mids: No complaints again, though I guess they aren't really "forward"... They are just sitting right there in the middle where it sounds just about normal for most songs. Comes off very clean and very neutral sounding overall. Works great for what I was looking for.
Details: Not overly emphasized but you can hear them surprisingly well if your listening for them, they mainly sit in the background. Tastefully done, love it!
Soundstage: Completely average, which isn't a bad thing at all. Better then most closed headphones I hear, this is a win.
Highs: Ouch, these are sibilant at high volumes to my ears. I wasn't expecting that and that is a major issue for me. I will try to find an EQ or make one myself that tones this down but I am so over headphones that become sibilant for 10-20% of a song, if I cant fix that then its going to be a quick sell back. If they weren't sibilant, for the $350 I paid I would keep them without a single regret, they sound great otherwise and I'd be hard pressed to find a better closed back for $350 that sounds this clean and fun.. A great sound signature overall. But man, I really really dont want to deal with sibilance anymore, I've lived with sibilant headphones for far too long to go back down that road lol

Lets see what I can figure out :] If someone can handle their highs, I think this is a hell of a headphone for the price. Younger me would be in total love.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #530 of 815
YAXI TH610 Alcantara pads... takes the edge off the treble and gain more bass presence, little more spacious sounding as well since physically more room to breathe. They just require a spacer to add to the mounting rings as they would slip off too easily otherwise... easy to make with yogurt/cottage cheese container lids...

i-rhxzWns.jpg

i-cXNWsdZ.jpg

i-ch63x7D.jpg

Mar 17, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #531 of 815
YAXI TH610 Alcantara pads... takes the edge off the treble and gain more bass presence, little more spacious sounding as well since physically more room to breathe. They just require a spacer to add to the mounting rings as they would slip off too easily otherwise... easy to make with yogurt/cottage cheese container lids...
I'm working on an EQ right now/experimenting and slowly getting to where I want, but will absolutely consider this :] From what I am hearing I am 100% on board to pay an extra $50 if it fixes that top end. I am really really liking these things.

Appreciate the reply. Are the rings just simply cutting out a piece of plastic in the shape of whatever holds the pads? Are the pads easily removable?

Mar 17, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #532 of 815
I'm working on an EQ right now/experimenting and slowly getting to where I want, but will absolutely consider this :] From what I am hearing I am 100% on board to pay an extra $50 if it fixes that top end. I am really really liking these things.

Appreciate the reply. Are the rings just simply cutting out a piece of plastic in the shape of whatever holds the pads? Are the pads easily removable?
Did you buy them used? With burn-in you might see some of that sibilance tamed. When I used the stock pads (or those Custom House ones) I never really got a hint of sibilance, but when I used perf pads or the Lawton Angles (my current ones) I could feel like it was right on the edge of it, at high volumes, but never really crossed into it. I am fairly treble sensitive, but when it's done right (Stax) it doesn't bother me at all. Never tried the Yaxis.

At the same time you're cutting out those spacers, you could also cut out some attenuation rings to focus the bass.

I'd just say that, if these things are almost perfect, you can tweak that final 10% cheaper than you could find a more perfect can for the same cost.

Mar 17, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #533 of 815
Did you buy them used? With burn-in you might see some of that sibilance tamed. When I used the stock pads (or those Custom House ones) I never really got a hint of sibilance, but when I used perf pads or the Lawton Angles (my current ones) I could feel like it was right on the edge of it, at high volumes, but never really crossed into it. I am fairly treble sensitive, but when it's done right (Stax) it doesn't bother me at all. Never tried the Yaxis.

At the same time you're cutting out those spacers, you could also cut out some attenuation rings to focus the bass.

I'd just say that, if these things are almost perfect, you can tweak that final 10% cheaper than you could find a more perfect can for the same cost.
Well its almost perfect for hip-hop and general top 40 songs, I already found some songs/albums these definitely work with no matter what but Ive got other headphones for those :] Since those 2 genres are more or less what I was looking to use these for, yeah these are pretty much "almost perfect".

I did buy them used. I'm going to give them a week of listening on my head either way and see how I feel after, cant make long term assumptions from a single day, I've long learned that lol. And the sibilance mostly comes out at higher volume, but there a few specific sounds that are sibilant no matter the volume.

Perfect example song: Pray 4 Love by Travis Scott/The Weeknd from about :22 to about :35.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #534 of 815

Earlier in this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/den...-of-the-ah-d7200.875053/page-29#post-16053007
The pads are easily removable...just pull them off - then you can do the more difficult task of removing the rings which is just pushing the edge of the outside in towards the center at each mounting clip point.

Mar 18, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #535 of 815

i-rhxzWns.jpg

i-cXNWsdZ.jpg

i-ch63x7D.jpg
Just out of interest any reason for going for the Yaxi alcantara rather than the leather pads they also supply(apart from the comfort).

Mar 18, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #536 of 815
Based on my experience with Fostex Purplehearts I did actually get both the 'leather' and Alcantara Yaxi TH610 pads...because both worked vety well with the TH-X00. For the AH-D5200, the 'leather' ones provide more low end impact but also bloat the bass more along with increasing the treble a bit. Not what you really want for the AH-D5200, much prefer the Alcantara ones.

i-cBFgRjJ.jpg

Mar 18, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #537 of 815
Based on my experience with Fostex Purplehearts I did actually get both the 'leather' and Alcantara Yaxi TH610 pads...because both worked vety well with the TH-X00. For the AH-D5200, the 'leather' ones provide more low end impact but also bloat the bass more along with increasing the treble a bit. Not what you really want for the AH-D5200, much prefer the Alcantara ones.

i-cBFgRjJ.jpg
Thanks. Just the informative answer I was looking for.Not a fan of extra treble so the alcantaras look like the best option.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #538 of 815
Ordered the pads, coming here april. *Crossing fingers* Hope they work lol :] I cant quite get an EQ just right, always something turning out to be off

Mar 24, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #539 of 815
Got the pads, they do reduce the sibilance and make the bass more prevalent... But they do it way too much to the other side for me. The music in general gets overpowered by the bass now and the fun details the headphones had is now lost. Which is expected when talking about reducing sibilance, just too much for me lol

I prefer the original pads with EQ over these, though I'll do more testing when i have more time. This was just a quick run

Mar 24, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #540 of 815
Got the pads, they do reduce the sibilance and make the bass more prevalent... But they do it way too much to the other side for me. The music in general gets overpowered by the bass now and the fun details the headphones had is now lost. Which is expected when talking about reducing sibilance, just too much for me lol

I prefer the original pads with EQ over these, though I'll do more testing when i have more time. This was just a quick run
You ran them on the Lyr 3? Denon AH-D5200 is tame in low end compared to the Fostex biodynas... much more controlled and detailed where the TH-X00 series have the massive low end with less control and just a bit of bleed into mids. AH-D5200 with Yaxi Alcantara pads is slightly still just a bit too neutral for my taste without EQ... I add in more low end along with just a bit of treble to get it where I like it with my Project Ember II running a Reflector 6H23P-EB NOS tube.

Might want to try rolling tubes in the Lyr3...different tubes can make a noticeable change in presentation. The Reflector 6H23P-EB and Sovtek 6H30P-EB are my preferred tubes in the Ember for the AH-D5200. And while I also like the Mullard 6201, it is just a bit too much for the AH-D5200 depending on song (where on the TH-X00 Purplehearts it was a much better match all around for some reason...)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back