Denon AH-D5000 vs AH-D600
Sep 27, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #16 of 38
First impressions after 1 hour;

The fit is loose. I have a regular sized head and the phones are not tight enough. They are comfortable, but way too loose.

The build quality is good. They feel sturdy and nothing appears cheap.

The general aesthetics are sharp. They don't look like poor mans headphones.

Sound quality ;

These cans have incredible detail. After only an hour of use I cannot comment further than to say that they sound good, maybe not great... But good. I am at work now and they have been burning in for 10 hours overnight and will continue to burn for another 10. I will provide a much less muddy sound description after work. By then 20 hours burn-in will be completed. I have to admit that first impressions are not what I had hoped.

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #19 of 38
20 hours of burn-in ; 5 hours white noise, 5 hours pink noise, 10 hours of general loud music.

My source consists of the following.

Music files are lossless 24 bit 44.1 KHz FLAC, ALAC, and WAV uncompressed audio files.
My music player is the Fidelia Audiophile Player running through my MacbookPro.
My DAC is an Apogee Duet 2 DAC/Audio Interface.

Pros;

The headphones have started to take a more appealing shape sonically. The virtually non-existent mid-bass is starting to move forward in the presentation. 

The loose fitting structure of the physical fit is now seeming intentional in design. These phones are very comfortable. The memory foam is very soft, the covering over it seems to be some synthetic micro fibre-ish suede/leather. These headphones are incredibly light as well. 

The soundstage is very wide and spatial. There is a definite airiness to them that is almost similar to that of an open set of cans. Adding to this expansive soundstage is an attention to details. These headphones are very meticulous on their reproduction of subtle layers in the mix. I produce music and have listened to some of my work through these... the little details I worked so hard to incorporate in my music is very profound in the D600. Good instrument separation is observed.

Cons;

These cans are greedy for power. I was shocked considering that they are low impedance and designed for compatibility with portable devices. There is little to no headroom left on an iPhone 4 or iPad 3 listening at moderate levels. With my Apogee Duet 2 there is still some room for gain, but like I said these are greedy. My HD 280 pro's have a higher impedance but take 2/3 the current to drive... interesting.

Sibilance is present, although it has disappeared somewhat from my disappointing first audition last night. I suspect this will diminish further as I rack up the hours on these. 

Prolonged burn-in seems to be required. I will continue to have these phones playing continuos for the next week or two for sure.

The fit although comfortable is kinda loose. I would prefer a tighter fit, however this is no deal-breaker.

The headphones do not appear to be tuned completely "flat" as advertised. There does appear to be a little bit of a U curve in presentation, minimal but present nonetheless. I think as they break-in these will diminish as well.

They definitely are not as pretty as the D5K's or 7K's. Still look nice though.

The mid-bass is somewhat recessed but is started to move forward with every hour.

24 Hour Conclusion ;

A lengthy session this evening has produced no ear fatigue. The disappointment I felt yesterday is quickly vanishing. Burn-in appears to be a mandatory process for optimal results. The overwhelming bass that is described in the reviews of Denon line of phones is not a problem for me. They are a little bass heavy, but the bass is detailed and analytical not boomy and sloppy. I have never heard a Denon headphone before these, and the Denon "signature" sound does sound appealing to me.

I am going to have these play all night tonight and tomorrow while I'm at work, furthering the settling in of these phones. I am starting to warm up to these phones. 

Sep 27, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #20 of 38
Interesting. Looking forward to the final verdict. I'm hoping Denon isn't fading away because it's much more appealing to go out in flames. 

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #21 of 38
Wow. sounds promising. How much are these?
I might give them a try. If I like them, I'll sell my D2K's.
Despite their elegance, it annoys me that I can't carry around such good sound without fear of breaking the headphones.

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #23 of 38
Hmmmm.
The isolation and possible portability is luring me.
Plus the review you posted and this guy's review makes it sonically appealing.
I might have to sell both my D2Ks and HM5s.
Hmmmm. contemplation. contemplation.

I'll wait for your judgment and those of others.

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #24 of 38
Quote:
Hmmmm.
The isolation and possible portability is luring me.
Plus the review you posted and this guy's review makes it sonically appealing.
I might have to sell both my D2Ks and HM5s.
Hmmmm. contemplation. contemplation.

I'll wait for your judgment and those of others.

For more info and opinions of others check main thread for new Denon headphones line

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #26 of 38
HA!
Found them for 340 (338.95) and sprung.
Free shipping. 30-day return policy.
If I don't like, I return. If I like, I sell my D2Ks resulting in a small net loss.

Not sure how long it will last. From the looks of things Sep 30th.
PM me if you're interested or haven't found it through google yet.

meeeh. Since I already checked out, I'll just post the link.

$338.95 Denon AH-D600

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #27 of 38
Quote:
HA!
If I don't like, I return. If I like, I sell my D2Ks resulting in a small net loss.

$338.95 Denon AH-D600

Awesome. Looking forward to a AH-D600 / AH-D2000 comparison.

Sep 29, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #28 of 38
Quote:
HA!

$338.95 Denon AH-D600

Nice! Can't wait to hear your thoughts and comparison between the d2000.:D

Sep 29, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #29 of 38
They actually don't look too bad in black. Looking forward to your impressions, atomik.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back