Denon AH-D5000 Unboxing video and compare to the D7000.
May 21, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #63 of 103
Quote:
It's funny to see the opinion on D2k vs. D7k can be so polarized. I've read some other people saying D2k isn't too far behind D7k.

Eh in terms of clarity the D7k is the best, but remember it does follow the law of diminishing returns, if value is important get the D2k, if it is not, then get the D7k.

I do prefer the more relaxing sound of the D2000, i think its just a tad more romantic (not that I have heard Tubes) but that I think could be fixed with some LA mods, bringing the mids forward. 

But at the end of the day If i really want to enjoy my music, D7k every time... just not for lying in bed and falling asleep listening to music, then D2000

May 23, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #65 of 103
Quote:
I was surprised that Tyle at InnerFidelity liked the D5000 more then D7000.

He didn't.  He just concluded that the D7000 did not offer enough more to account for the price spread above the D5000.  See:

"Moving up to the AH-D7000 is not nearly the leap in sound quality I found moving from the D2000 to D5000, but the D7000 is audibly cleaner, more resolving and refined. The tonal balance is slightly less warm than the D5000 and now very close to what I would consider neutral, though still a tad warm. Moving backward to the D5000 after becoming accustomed to the D7000, there's clearly a sense that the D5000 is a bit muffled sounding in comparison. The bass is tighter than the D5000, but remains slightly loose sounding. The mids are truly lovely and lush, but in comparison with the almost eery realness of the HD 800, the closed back coloration again becomes obvious. Highs have a touch of sparkle, but are a bit more refined and natural than the D5000."

Link:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/luscious-denon-ah-d2000-ah-d50000-and-ah-d7000-page-3

May 23, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #66 of 103
Quote:
Don't you mean D7000? but yes i agree, a clear step up from the D2000, only problem is the mids kind of annoy me, but I am picky... And I like the forwardish intimate mids of the D2000 for lying in bed at night, and the D7000 is just not as euphoric for me (this is not properly amped, been looking at the Yulong D100 II) 

probably gonna invest in the lawton stage 2 mod kit

?  The D2000 has recessed mids.

May 23, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #67 of 103
I just got the d5k in today. Just couldn't resist given they will soon be OOS forever. I bought them about six months ago to replace my d2k's. Well, they didn't sound good. Not good at all really. I talked to a couple of people, thanks Malv, and decided they were defective. I decided to just return and not replace them. 

Then I finally gave in and bought another pair this week. What a stroke of brilliance on my part 
biggrin.gif

The d5k is a fantastic hp and a nice upgrade over the d2k. Just as I was hoping for with the first purchase.

May 23, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #68 of 103
Quote:
I just got the d5k in today. Just couldn't resist given they will soon be OOS forever. I bought them about six months ago to replace my d2k's. Well, they didn't sound good. Not good at all really. I talked to a couple of people, thanks Malv, and decided they were defective. I decided to just return and not replace them. 

Then I finally gave in and bought another pair this week. What a stroke of brilliance on my part 
biggrin.gif

The d5k is a fantastic hp and a nice upgrade over the d2k. Just as I was hoping for with the first purchase.

Glad you got a good pair on the second go.  Both the D5000 and D7000 are great cans, especially at U.S. discounted prices--such as have been available at EE and elsewhere.

May 23, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #69 of 103
I go mine from EE with coupon code for $385 shipped!!  That's makes these just an incredibly value IMO. I don't know what will be replacing them, but at this price point and sound quality I'm not really that worried about it.

May 23, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #70 of 103
Wow...I continue to be impressed with the improvement that I'm hearing in the d5k over the d2k. As much as I was let down by the first pair I bought-defective cable, these are just wonderful.

I was expecting tighter bass with more texture-tick, even better than I though it would be.

I was also expecting smoother mids given the wooden cups-tick here also. Silky smooth and easier to listen to and possibly less fatiguing. 

What I wasn't expecting was better imagining which is what I'm hearing. The imaging is up a couple of notches over the d2k and just beautiful. 

This is a very, very good hp.

May 23, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #71 of 103
Quote:
Wow...I continue to be impressed with the improvement that I'm hearing in the d5k over the d2k. As much as I was let down by the first pair I bought-defective cable, these are just wonderful.

I was expecting tighter bass with more texture-tick, even better than I though it would be.

I was also expecting smoother mids given the wooden cups-tick here also. Silky smooth and easier to listen to and possibly less fatiguing. 

What I wasn't expecting was better imagining which is what I'm hearing. The imaging is up a couple of notches over the d2k and just beautiful. 

This is a very, very good hp.

I was never a believer of "burn-in" till the D5ks and the D7ks they sound so much better after about the 50 hour mark(at least mine did to me), the soundstage was the biggest improvement

May 23, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #72 of 103
Quote:
I was never a believer of "burn-in" till the D5ks and the D7ks they sound so much better after about the 50 hour mark(at least mine did to me), the soundstage was the biggest improvement

Dang...forgot to mention the soundstage improvement. Yes, it's certainly better also. Thought that I was just imagining that till I A/B them. It's definitely better, just don't know how unless the wooden cups accomplish this.

May 23, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #73 of 103
Quote:

Dang...forgot to mention the soundstage improvement. Yes, it's certainly better also. Thought that I was just imagining that till I A/B them. It's definitely better, just don't know how unless the wooden cups accomplish this.

There are significant sound stage improvements with each can from the D2000 to the 5000 and on to the 7000.

May 23, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #74 of 103
Quote:

How much better is the soundstage on the HE-400s? I realize its an apples(closed) to oranges(open) comparison, just wondering? I am considering them in the future.

May 23, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #75 of 103
I plan to do some direct comparisons d5k to the he400. I may add this to my original review. The sound stage on the he400 is much better to give you the short answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back