Denon AH-D5000 for sensitive ears?
Sep 4, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #32 of 41
Had the Denon ah-d5000's for a bit and returned them because the excessive bass energy seemed to fatigue my ears. Never noticed any excessive higher frequencies, but with all that bass maybe I missed it. How about a pair of closed audio-technica headphones maybe? Their open AD700's are definitely irritating to my ears, but I wouldn't say they same for the closed ATH-A55's that I have.

Sep 5, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is a Compass enough for a D5000 or D2000? Are D2K and D5K similar in terms of power requirements?

Yes it is. Compass is very close to the sound sig of my C2C and also has enough power to drive them.

Sep 5, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #34 of 41
If you have sensitive ears, I would not recommend the D5000. It's a bit on the lively side for treble. It's not Grado bright, it's on the bright side of neutral.

Sep 14, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #35 of 41
I just got my HD650 and they are very pleasing indeed. I need to break them in before evaluating further, but so far so good. However I find them quite uncomfortable to wear compared to the DT880.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Sep 14, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #36 of 41
You should get accustomed to their fit. It takes a little time, but I'm almost sure you should be OK.

They're very good cans.

Sep 14, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #37 of 41
well I dont find my Denons to be harsh at all in my rig; allthough I have heard them sound that way in some pairings. mine are woodied partially modded, recabled and balanced D2000 (there's a mouthful); they (in general) can have a tendency towards brightness with silver cables (cliche warning I know) but its true, I would never put a silver cable with them or specifically ON them; as they turn into sibilance machines IMO. I love them for instrumental jazz, electronica, ambient and most spacious music.

I have the tassie blackwood LA cups, which I installed myself along with the partial mod. I feel the full mod takes some of the fun out of them; part of the charm of the denons is the slightly unruly and wild SQ. take all that away and you may as well buy some AT
tongue.gif
with the bass tamed a touch, the formerly somewhat overwhelming bass turns into wonderful textured bass and the mids move forward a touch. The woodies add a bit more air and extension at both ends and generally make them sound a little more open and less congested (especially with the lighter density woods) However lately I havent been using them so much though, as my JH13 just do just about everything better, only fullsize can i'm still using is my balanced HD600 for some rock and live albums; the sheer dynamism and air is superb. They arent as airy and detailed as the balanced HD800 I heard at a recent meet, but still very enjoyable and at todays prices represent good value; leaves you some dollars to spend on a decent amp/source to drive them, which is an absolute must for the total experience.

lately, perish the thought, I have been considering selling my Denons, as it seems a waste to have them sitting there unused; I collect audio gear that i like to use, not just for the sake of itself.

i heard the HF-2 at the meet too and i'm looking forward to recabling them, so I can have them for a little bit. the HF-2 seem to me to have most of the sheer fun factor of the denons, without some of the pitfalls. bass is tighter (by default), they have the speed that the denons sometimes lack and are extremely tuneful IMO. wish I had the forethought to order some when they were released, as i'm simply not prepared to pay the current asking price asked by the flippers.

wow what a ^^ jumbled incongruous mess that was!! hope it made some sense to someone.

Nov 29, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #38 of 41
Thanks to somebody on this forum, now I totally understand why certain headphones make people tired while others don't. Human ear has resonant frequency around 6000 Hz. This is way headphones designed not to be causing fatigue have a drop in this freq. range. My Grado SR 225 was making me very tired in spite of having awesome sound which I still miss expecially for heavy metal. Now I have Ultrasones HFI 780 which have exactly same drop around 6000 Hz, but they just don't sound as good as Grado. I've listened to Denons AH D5000 few on Saturday and I have to say that these are one of the best cans I've ever heard. They are also way more comfortable than Grado, exceptionally comfortable I would say. But looking at the frequency response I realize now that they will also be making my ears tiring. And looking at the graph below you can also see why somebody said in this thread that he finds Denon AH-D10001K most comfortable.

graphCompare.php

He also mentioned Bayerdynamic to me as headphones for professionals which have same drop around 6000 Hz for very same reason. The question for me is which headphones really provide the best of both worlds not causing fatigue while having great lively sound at the same time. Any ideas ?

Nov 29, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #39 of 41
Here is the graph

graphCompare.php

Now look at Ultrasone's same drop

graphCompare.php

Jan 3, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #41 of 41

Quote:
I just got my HD650 and they are very pleasing indeed. I need to break them in before evaluating further, but so far so good. However I find them quite uncomfortable to wear compared to the DT880.

Thanks for all your help guys.

That will change. The 650 are one of the most comfortable cans in Christendom. Also one of the best sounding.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back